Simple kingsize+ bed on DIY ply base - anyone else done similar ?

nebw

For occasional overnight use, I've made a ply base that covers nearly all of the rear of our Shuttle (with both rear rows of seats removed), and will just throw 2 80x200cm Ikea foam mattresses on top of it, which are almost a perfect fit. Total cost £120 for three 8x4 12mm ply sheets from Wickes. Very rough and ready, took a few hours to measure and cut once I had the design sorted in my head, takes about 10 minutes to install or remove.

Has anyone else done similar ?

Couple of photos showing the gist of it, raining so couldn't really take everything out for proper photos:

1) Bed made up. Incredibly comfy. Using a superking duvet. This just tucks down the sides nicely and hardly any road noise coming through from the rear now.
PXL_20240430_170723756.jpg
2) Showing the layers. There is a single "spine" vertical piece running down the middle, with cross pieces slotting down into it. These are spaced to miss the seat mounting points, but also to be an ideal width for typical large bags or plastic storage boxes.
PXL_20240430_170739441.jpg
Showing the view from the back. These storage spaces are about the right length for camping chairs and for the Heath Robinson levelling blocks (on the left) I made from some spare timber
PXL_20240430_170951801.jpg

Last edited:
I did think about having something that simply went on top of the folded rear seats, but it ends up not giving enough headroom. The Shuttle seats are pretty easy to remove compared to Caravelle ones I've wrestled with in the past.

Wasn't sure if 12mm would be sturdy enough but it's fine, with the number of cross pieces I have.

Back