Slightly confused about solar panel wiring

Hornetpowered

VIP Member
Hello. Haven’t posted much before as normally find out what I need to know with searching other peoples posts.
I have a t6 with a Ablemail b2b charger to a leisure battery under drivers seat.
Is it as easy as fixing the solar panel to the roof, putting in a solar controller like the victron one and then run the cable and connect to the battery.
When the van is running the battery would be charging and if the sun is shining that would also be charging the battery.
Can the battery be over charged or do the 2 types of charging controllers work out what to do.
Worried that they will work against each other.
Presume it’ll be like this.

09FBCD20-71A1-4EB6-96FE-8EBB53CF746B.png

Yes it works pretty much as you wrote, a battery cant really be overcharged it will only accept what it wants and when it is full it will stop accepting charge

The only exception to this is making sure you are supplying the correct voltage to the battery, there are different types of battery chemistry (eg lead acid/agm/lithium) and the optimum charge voltage varies slightly between them so just make sure whatever charging device you are using is set to the correct battery type/charging voltage and you should be good to go

As the others say, your LB can’t be overcharged in those terms, but it is possible to exceed the charge acceptance, which is the current in amps presented to the battery. In a combined dc-dc / mppt like the Renogy DC50S, it’s possible to throttle the total output to, say, 30, 40 or 50 amps. I contacted the manufacturer of my AGM battery who advised max charge acceptance be set at 40A. Yours may be different.

Your dc-dc will have a max output, as will your solar set-up. Worth doing a simple addition of these figures and checking on a sunny day whilst driving you won’t exceed max charge acceptance. If it’s theoretically possible, there are simple cheap options without changing any of your main kit.

I sort of get it. Thanks for reply’s. I need to order some parts i think. Need a semi flexible solar panel as I’m going to stick in to the roof, a solar controller and any wiring I will need. When I originally converted the van I used travel volts for everything and it was all so easy with everything he supplied for me. What should I order now and who do I go to, can anyone recommend someone please. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. This is my leisure battery that is connected to the Ablemail b2b charger. Many thanks.

435448F6-CB3B-4E6C-82A3-C0D035AB22F6.png

Finished mine today. I have the Victron B2B and their MPPT feeding an AGM LB under the driver's seat. I also have the Victron AC 15Amp charger working from a modified Sargent PMU. Overkill

IMG_20230413_131229.jpg

Reactions: CAB
Back