sneaky sleep spot around Malham / Yorkshire 3 Peaks

Looking for a place to sleep around either Malham Cove or the Yorkshire 3 Peaks - I hear it’s tricky around there so tips welcome

I’ve always thought that there are a number of options around Malham Tarn, but never tried to overnight there. On busy days, plenty of vehicles park on the grass off the road and I don’t see why you couldn’t stop overnight. I’m sure you would leave nothing behind when you leave to show that you had been there.

There are also various places along the (very) minor road between Settle and Arncliffe (though not much East of Darnbrook House / Nab End. Its very open around this area.

Or you could go to The Station Inn at the Ribblehead viaduct. They allow camper vans overnight in their car park and I think it may be free if you eat a meal there.

I’m presuming that you are not looking for designated camp sites as there are a few of those in the area.

Good Luck.

Two campsites in Malham centre.
Or go up towards the tarn and on the right there is a layby.
I see loads of overnighters on the roadside.
Park4Night shows some of the spots.

The Tarn car park has signs for no campers but they are always there.

That area is my playground so regularly pass the happy campers.

Not my van....

Screenshot_20240715-223703.png

I’ve always thought that there are a number of options around Malham Tarn, but never tried to overnight there. On busy days, plenty of vehicles park on the grass off the road and I don’t see why you couldn’t stop overnight. I’m sure you would leave nothing behind when you leave to show that you had been there.

There are also various places along the (very) minor road between Settle and Arncliffe (though not much East of Darnbrook House / Nab End. Its very open around this area.

Or you could go to The Station Inn at the Ribblehead viaduct. They allow camper vans overnight in their car park and I think it may be free if you eat a meal there.

I’m presuming that you are not looking for designated camp sites as there are a few of those in the area.

Good Luck.
thank you for this! had totally forgotten about the station inn & it was perfect

Back