Spare Wheel size when running 20”

Right, I managed to limp home from Ullapool on a 5hr plus drive to the central belt of Scotland on Sunday. I’ve sorted some new front tyres for the 20’s (255/35R20). Now I need to sort out my spare as I’m never getting the spare 20” under the van and in the cage. I’ve got a 16” steel ‘standard’ spare with a 205/65R16 on it. Been looking at a few sites and my mind is completely boggled. One suggests that 205/70R16 would be +1% different and that a 215/65R16 would be really close at -0.1%.

Question is, will any of these 2 work on the 16” spare or will I be out of pocket for a 17” wheel and the appropriate tyre?
Have you got a 2 wheel drive or a 4 motion? If it’s 2 wheel drive I’d be inclined to say (with limited technical knowledge) that your current spare, which is only 1.98% different in size (or 14mm difference in diameter) is fine.
Bear in mind part worn tyres would probably account for half that difference if the spare is new!

And in other news I’ve managed to get a spare under my van in the standard carrier that will work with my 245/45/20’s. I got a 225/65/17 on the spare (lower bracket setting on carrier) and it’s only 0.58% difference so the 4motion should be happy. Probably even closer than that as my tyres are part worn.

Have you got a 2 wheel drive or a 4 motion? If it’s 2 wheel drive I’d be inclined to say (with limited technical knowledge) that your current spare, which is only 1.98% different in size (or 14mm difference in diameter) is fine.
Bear in mind part worn tyres would probably account for half that difference if the spare is new!

And in other news I’ve managed to get a spare under my van in the standard carrier that will work with my 245/45/20’s. I got a 225/65/17 on the spare (lower bracket setting on carrier) and it’s only 0.58% difference so the 4motion should be happy. Probably even closer than that as my tyres are part worn.
I’m on a 2WD 110ps just.

Good point about the part worn element. The spare the van had was a shocker, chunks out the sidewall. I might just chuck a new tyre of the same size on that and just hope I’m not 5hr and 20mins from the house the next time the 20’s go.

Another couple of questions for you (hope you don’t mind). Is your van lowered? Is there more choice on the 245/45/20? You running 20x8 rims?

I’m on a 2WD 110ps just.

Good point about the part worn element. The spare the van had was a shocker, chunks out the sidewall. I might just chuck a new tyre of the same size on that and just hope I’m not 5hr and 20mins from the house the next time the 20’s go.

Another couple of questions for you (hope you don’t mind). Is your van lowered? Is there more choice on the 245/45/20? You running 20x8 rims?
Yeah I’m 60mm lowered and am on 20x8.5. Reason for that choice is I had run on full lock with 275/40/20 and needed to keep the 103 load rating as I have a T32, so 245/45/20 was best option

A 225/65/17 will fit in the spare carrier without any mods and is very close to the 275/40/20 in circumference
Hello - interested in how you got the 225/65/17 to fit in the carrier - I can’t get it closed at all without risking damage to the tyre?

Hi @Willr03
I’m not sure what age your transporter is and there are any differences between ages but on my 2021 4 motion, it was fitted with a 17” steel as standard. Also if you look at the carrier hinge, there is 3 positions to adjust the width of the wheel used.
On the lowest position, the wheel with that tyre size fits straight into the well.
The only thing to make sure you have positioned the wheel on the carrier and offer it up and check its centred.
I know some people have mentioned hacking the plastic wheel well but this is something I didn’t really like to pursue.

Hi @Willr03
I’m not sure what age your transporter is and there are any differences between ages but on my 2021 4 motion, it was fitted with a 17” steel as standard. Also if you look at the carrier hinge, there is 3 positions to adjust the width of the wheel used.
On the lowest position, the wheel with that tyre size fits straight into the well.
The only thing to make sure you have positioned the wheel on the carrier and offer it up and check its centred.
I know some people have mentioned hacking the plastic wheel well but this is something I didn’t really like to pursue.

Thanks it’s a t6.1 (2023) - photo below

IMG_3241.jpeg

If you have it on the lowest carrier position, then I would suggest lowering the carrier and repositioning the wheel and lift it up again.
It looks tight near the plastic tray at the rear.
I fitted mine fully inflated

I experienced the same as Randolph. Went straight in on lowest setting although mine is a T6 not 6.1 and I don’t remember there being that much plastic around it

This will likely help you get it in (seems to be a little known feature!)

Back