Steering Wheel Play.

Quite possibly. But haven't you had a new rack fitted? Then it's upto the warranty to sort it out for you. Is the play in the rack though?

You need it checked to find out. If it is the rack. Then get it replaced under warranty
Its a new (recon) rack. There is no play anywhere else apparently.

I know this is dredging up an old post, I have had a T5 and 5.1 (both fine in the steering dept) now on a T6 and the steering is horrid, i have read all of the posts in this thread and still wonder what was the cure?? Or is it genuinely "they are all like it" kind thing thanks Iain

I know this is dredging up an old post, I have had a T5 and 5.1 (both fine in the steering dept) now on a T6 and the steering is horrid, i have read all of the posts in this thread and still wonder what was the cure?? Or is it genuinely "they are all like it" kind thing thanks Iain
From all the research i have done lately, it seams to be a lottery as to whether 'your' steering has this problem, some do, some don't.....We/I still can't find where the play is coming from. All the vans have the free play, but not the looseness that comes with some.....

So live with it then basically, the last mot test threw this in to the mix Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i)), so what's this part then? track rod end or lower arm?? not that I am supecting that would cure it,

So live with it then basically, the last mot test threw this in to the mix Offside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (i)), so what's this part then? track rod end or lower arm?? not that I am supecting that would cure it,
sounds like lower arm but @Dundee_Kev will be better to advise..

Your problem may be different to mine although it sounds similar...

"Live with it"?.......... it's an on going problem that I'm trying to solve ;)

Might be a daft question if the T6 has vague steering and the T5 doesn't can the T5 rack be retrofitted to the T6??

Might be a daft question if the T6 has vague steering and the T5 doesn't can the T5 rack be retrofitted to the T6??
...... i've noticed the same play on the T5's, it seems to be a lottery as to whether the van has it or not...
Two T5's felt as they should (IMO) - normal steering play with no loose feel and Two with the loose feel...

I have a T5.1, its had a bit of free play in the steering, but I haven't driven any others recently to know if it's normal. Certainly doesn't feel as good as T4 steering! Had steering rack joints replaced but that didn't help much- they were an MOT advisory. Fitting 17s with spacers has slightly amplified the feeling. Haven't had a look at the steering column joints yet, its on the to do list. Following this thread with interest, its the only thing about the van that nags me on long motorway journeys

I don't disagree with you for the sale of 40 quid and an hour of my time I have now replaced the track rod ends having now driven it up and down the dual carriageway in windy weather today I can honestly say there is more feel to the steering and that horrid feeling in the pit of your stomach when you think you don't have control has gone, I think a little adjusting of the tracking is now in order though I did try and keep it as close as possible to what came off, i also gave a push and pull on the inner tie rods, solid as a rock they were

Back