Steering Wheel Play.

Yes, mine does the same as yours. And yes, at motorway speeds it feels a little strange. It's not dangerous or anything, just a little annoying.

There are 2 T5s at my work just now, both have freeplay. Both have been checked and it's in the rack. The other vans we have had in all have had play with the exception of one.

One day mine will be treated to a nice new rack, but after spending a few pounds replacing the whole fuel system, it's not getting anything spent on it any time soon!
Do your checks first. I jumped to the rack and put a new one on and it's exactly the same. Mines had rack, track rod ends, ball joints, bushes and change in suspension (not everything was changed to fix this issue but since its all in the same area its good to mention) but none of that fixed the problem. Now when I went to the garage the first time to get mine fixed they said they changed the steering Columb but when I asked if it was the part inside the van or the part outside the van they didn't no and some how didn't have the old part there to show me. But the only part I've not changed my self is the outer steering colum, if the garage did change that part then I'm out of options. If they didn't change that part that's my last part to change as there's no play on the steering Columb inside.

Mine just feels like your chasing the wheel all the time on dualcarage ways and motor ways

Do your checks first. I jumped to the rack and put a new one on and it's exactly the same. Mines had rack, track rod ends, ball joints, bushes and change in suspension (not everything was changed to fix this issue but since its all in the same area its good to mention) but none of that fixed the problem. Now when I went to the garage the first time to get mine fixed they said they changed the steering Columb but when I asked if it was the part inside the van or the part outside the van they didn't no and some how didn't have the old part there to show me. But the only part I've not changed my self is the outer steering colum, if the garage did change that part then I'm out of options. If they didn't change that part that's my last part to change as there's no play on the steering Columb inside.

Mine just feels like your chasing the wheel all the time on dualcarage ways and motor ways
Thank you for your reply. Mine feels exactly the same...
Apparently, on mine, there is no movement anywhere else, this includes the intermediate shaft.....

Thank you for your reply. Mine feels exactly the same...
Apparently, on mine, there is no movement anywhere else, this includes the intermediate shaft.....
I let the garage deal with mine at first but as I say they cannot confirm what they done (or didn't do!) But then all the other work I done my self. I just no the high amount of play in the wheel will lead to a tiny amount of play if it's in the shaft with the size differences so it makes it even harder to find. I just cannot see how two steering racks would have the same problem and how vw could sell them like this if they don't class it as a problem.. its the only thing I've had that's made it a money pit and still not solved the problem, everything else on the van has been simple fixes

I let the garage deal with mine at first but as I say they cannot confirm what they done (or didn't do!) But then all the other work I done my self. I just no the high amount of play in the wheel will lead to a tiny amount of play if it's in the shaft with the size differences so it makes it even harder to find. I just cannot see how two steering racks would have the same problem and how vw could sell them like this if they don't class it as a problem.. its the only thing I've had that's made it a money pit and still not solved the problem, everything else on the van has been simple fixes

Just bad design or engineering. It's what happens when the design is in one place and the manufacturing is elsewhere. Slows down the whole process.

My friend has an Audi which needed a new steering rack and the dealership offered to go halves on the cost as they knew it was clearly a defect in the design and he was out of warranty.

Just bad design or engineering. It's what happens when the design is in one place and the manufacturing is elsewhere. Slows down the whole process.

My friend has an Audi which needed a new steering rack and the dealership offered to go halves on the cost as they knew it was clearly a defect in the design and he was out

....the people with the play in the steering, are you all running bigger wheels and tyres?

I did just have a thought. The steering wheel does have an adjustment mechanism, wondered if it was worse in some positions than others (ie. when very extended).

....the people with the play in the steering, are you all running bigger wheels and tyres?
My own t6 is on 20's. The 2 t5's sitting at my work both have standard size wheels. One is 2wd and other 4wd. Both have play.

I did just have a thought. The steering wheel does have an adjustment mechanism, wondered if it was worse in some positions than others (ie. when very extended).
Mine makes no odds, but mine is 100% the rack that has the movement

Thank you....mine feels very vague at 65-70mph...its not a nice feeling at all
Just a thought, but does your van sit correctly front to rear? ie has it been converted and the extra weight is making it nose light? Is it still on standard suspension or lowered?
After my conversion the front was sitting slightly high and the steering was so vague it made it horrible to drive. New kit set up by CRS cured the issue.
I have a little free play in the steering too-always have had.

Just a thought, but does your van sit correctly front to rear? ie has it been converted and the extra weight is making it nose light? Is it still on standard suspension or lowered?
After my conversion the front was sitting slightly high and the steering was so vague it made it horrible to drive. New kit set up by CRS cured the issue.
I have a little free play in the steering too-always have had.
Hi, no conversion, just seats in the back. Its been lowered but fully tracked up and adjusted.
Its the horrible feeling of free play at motorway speed that I can't get my head around, I can't see VW intended it to be that way..(I maybe completely wrong)

Last edited:
...found this on another forum, interesting read..

Just a quick update for anybody interested....

The replacement rack was fitted and is a huge improvement I am very relieved to say. There is still a tiny little bit of play in it but the van has been transformed and while I would like it to be a hair tighter, I'll gratefully take it as is.

@robbo69 has the new rack been checked for play? Get the boot removed to expose the pinion on the rack and get someone to move the freeplay while someone looks at the pinion area.

....just a quick thought as sleep evades me yet again...lol..
anyone that replaced their rack to fix this problem, have they all been recon racks, as if the play is in the pinion/rack it may not be being picked up and just shipped out again after the recon company puts new seals in and paints it....?
Has anyone put a brand new rack from VW on?

I have replaced the intermediate shaft for a brand new one, took it for a 5 mile drive, i think it might be better but not night and day better. the rack mounts look like a mission to replace as one of the engine mounts bridges the rack so would have to remove this to lift the rack, so these are still to do.
i have tightened the preload nut by around 25 degrees, i think i might go another 10 degrees as it feels tighter, but i could cope with more. i prefer the old school heavy steering as opposed to the new finger light steering feel.
not sure what else to do now, maybe this is how VW made them? but i drive ford & renault equivalents all the time, and loaded up as well, we sell and fit tiles. big vans have driven like cars for the past 15 years now, so i can't believe VW are so far behind.
Hi, did you manage to cure this fault?

Many thanks,

Nearly every "van" I have driven has some kind of play in the steering, only ones that had little/no play have been car based vans. I was of the understanding you don't want twitchy steering when you may be carrying an unsteady load, that maybe bollocks I've been told over the years but it makes sense to me.

Nearly every "van" I have driven has some kind of play in the steering, only ones that had little/no play have been car based vans. I was of the understanding you don't want twitchy steering when you may be carrying an unsteady load, that maybe bollocks I've been told over the years but it makes sense to me.
Thank you for your reply.
The free play is acceptable, as it it there all all the t5/this, but its the 'looseness' thats the issue for me, other vans have the free play but not the looseness...

Your profile says you're from Devon same as me, if you're close by and want a second opinion give me a shout. Been driving vans since 1989

Thank you for your reply.
The free play is acceptable, as it it there all all the t5/this, but its the 'looseness' thats the issue for me, other vans have the free play but not the looseness...
What did your garage say today?

Back