T32 - your reasons why?

FWIW - I understood it was related to payload and VAT too - around the T30 or T32 mark the payload is quite sensitive to upgrades/options/model choices. For instance, you might be able to get a T30 4 motion with DSG and get over a 1000kg payload. Alternatively, you might be able to get a T32 with 4 motion but choosing DSG would take you below the 1000kg payload. You need to look very carefully a the specs and payloads for your preferred model combination if you intend to reclaim VAT from HMRC.

That's exactly it, I did put a detailed post on the other site I'll redo it on here at some point.

I'm confused now... My dealer said as long as it was a T32 I was o.k. no mention of dsg or 4 motion changing things???

Dealer are no help at all when it come to this, there only interested in the sale the rest is up to you, poor really.

As @BigBarn says

If you take a look at the payload weight in the model you are buying it will tell you

eg. t6 combi swd highline t32 204ps dsg 4 motion = payload 966kg :( below 1000kg for vat, i don't no if they would be picky but i would no risk that money

https://www.t6forum.com/resources/t6-transporter-kombi-specifications.13/

Dealer are no help at all when it come to this, there only interested in the sale the rest is up to you, poor really.

As @BigBarn says

If you take a look at the payload weight in the model you are buying it will tell you

eg. t6 combi swd highline t32 204ps dsg 4 motion = payload 966kg :( below 1000kg for vat, i don't no if they would be picky but i would no risk that money

Cheers, slightly anxious now, whats the spec you have on order? mines T32 150 highline combi DSG

Phew! Panic over... Same here vat-wise, that's going to be a long wait then...

As @BigBarn says

There is a company called SVTech, who can re-plate your vehicle with a higher gvw (sometimes). The T32 has 1710/1720 axel loads(max) which equates to, 1710+1720= 3430kg GVW. It is a paper based exercise, and it is what they do for a living. I am not saying they can defiantly achieve 3430kg for a T32, but if you are running out of payload, they may be worth a call, before you place your order.:cool:

Welcome

Last edited:
Wish I'd know that and I would have ordered a factory kombi so I could have had electric sliding doors :-(

As @BigBarn says

My arse is starting to twitch abit now about the vat and payload I've got a t32 180ps kombi dsg 4motion

Wish I'd know that and I would have ordered a factory kombi so I could have had electric sliding doors :-(
Ahhh sooooo sorry. Well I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't work for T32 (I really do not know if it does or does't):cry:

Did talk with my sales broker today who said to up the payload you remove rear seats from kombi or get your accountant to write a letter to Hmrc stating that the rear seats will be not in the vehicle most of the time due to materials being carried( one of his customers had to do it, he did mention it to me at start of sale but didn't take much notice of it till now.
Might just call svtech this week though

Last edited:
VW take in to account 90% fuel and a 75kg when listing the unladen weight, so you should be able to add approx 120kg on to the listed payload to arrive at the vehicles full payload capacity. I'm fairly sure when i spec'd a Ford a few years back, the unladen weight was just for the van, no driver or fuel. Might be worth looking in to if you need reassurance for the HMRC

My T32 4motion DSG Duo Van sits on the scales at 2560kgs in running order with driver and a full tank of fuel.

I looked into it when I was going to order mine as I have always use a van as I am a plumber. The 1000 kg load helps but it is not 100% as you could be asked to show a good reason for needing it . Mine has the seats removed and full of plumbing kit and have a car for personal use . If you have a good reason you shouldn't need to have the 1000 kg load limit. My mate is a sales rep and they all started to use pickup trucks as company cars so the vat man started to look for ways to stop it and come up with the 1000 kg rule.

I looked into it when I was going to order mine as I have always use a van as I am a plumber. The 1000 kg load helps but it is not 100% as you could be asked to show a good reason for needing it . Mine has the seats removed and full of plumbing kit and have a car for personal use . If you have a good reason you shouldn't need to have the 1000 kg load limit. My mate is a sales rep and they all started to use pickup trucks as company cars so the vat man started to look for ways to stop it and come up with the 1000 kg rule.
I recall friends buying these, and the GRP hardtop (purchased with the Doublecab pickup), causing problems because it was counted in the net weight of the vehicle, not allowing 1000kg payload

As @mhill said earlier in the thread we had big discussions on the other site regarding this. Magic thing is the 1000kg payload I believe - that's why I decided against going for 4 motion and just went LWB 180 DSG but no 4x4. It's a minefield but I gather there are certain ways around the issues but I steered clear of these myself as the 7k VAT was important to get back as a business owner.

Back