T6.1 Reduce Oil warning

DrC

I’ve read some threads on this but was hoping for some advice. The reduce oil warning just came on in our t6.1. We are currently in Italy and the temp here is over 30 and has been for nearly 2 weeks so is this why the warning has come on? We’ve a big drive on Monday so wondering if best option is vw assist or will the warning go off when we are in cooler temps?? Anything also we could do?

What does the dipstick show, the level being higher? Metal expands in the heat, so it might affect the level. You'd probably also use a different oil grade for hotter climates. If the level is too high you need to lower it, the easy way would be to find a boat oil drainage pump, the hose slides down the dipstick hole and pumps out the oil. But otherwise, underneath the van and loosen the drain plug. Neither sounds like a great option.

Reactions: DrC
What does the dipstick show, the level being higher? Metal expands in the heat, so it might affect the level. You'd probably also use a different oil grade for hotter climates. If the level is too high you need to lower it, the easy way would be to find a boat oil drainage pump, the hose slides down the dipstick hole and pumps out the oil. But otherwise, underneath the van and loosen the drain plug. Neither sounds like a great option.
Thanks, we’re trying to wait til it cools slightly and see what dipstick shows. Think we’re going to have to call vw assist, don’t want to risk damaging anything with epic drive ahead!

I’ve read some threads on this but was hoping for some advice. The reduce oil warning just came on in our t6.1. We are currently in Italy and the temp here is over 30 and has been for nearly 2 weeks so is this why the warning has come on? We’ve a big drive on Monday so wondering if best option is vw assist or will the warning go off when we are in cooler temps?? Anything also we could do?
It may be a software issue but it is possible that your oil has been contaminated by diesel during failed DPF regenerations or a faulty injector, adding to the quantity in the sump and triggering the "reduce oil" warning.
This is not uncommon. As you know, there are a number of threads along the same lines which might help you;
I would try to get it dealt with by whatever means, even if you just get a complete oil change at an independent garage, or by getting AA assist to suck some out. If they do that remember that the remaining oil is still probably contaminated and will need changing as soon as possible.
Let us know how you get on and good luck.

Have just checked the level and it’s slightly above the max and the fault is no longer showing on the dash. If the oil level comes down in the morning (when van is much cooler) would we be alright to drive it or should we just get vw assist out (no chance of an independent garage tomorrow where we are) oil was fine before we left and driven 1500miles over the blooming alps with no issues and now this!

Have just checked the level and it’s slightly above the max and the fault is no longer showing on the dash. If the oil level comes down in the morning (when van is much cooler) would we be alright to drive it or should we just get vw assist out (no chance of an independent garage tomorrow where we are) oil was fine before we left and driven 1500miles over the blooming alps with no issues and now this!
I can only offer my opinion, which is not that of an expert.
If the warning isn't showing when you start the van up I'd continue with the planned journey, as the level is only slightly high on the dipstick.
The "least bad" alternative is probably to buy some spanners or sockets and drain a little bit out via the sump plug, although I've never managed to do so without getting dirty.

When you say ‘the oil was fine before we left’ is that because you did a physical check of the level on the dipstick? Or is that an assumption because the reduce oil warning hadn’t come on?
If it’s the first one then where has the extra oil volume come from in 1500 miles?
If it’s the second one then it could be that it was filled right up to the max at the last service and has been high all along.

When you say ‘the oil was fine before we left’ is that because you did a physical check of the level on the dipstick? Or is that an assumption because the reduce oil warning hadn’t come on?
If it’s the first one then where has the extra oil volume come from in 1500 miles?
If it’s the second one then it could be that it was filled right up to the max at the last service and has been high all along.
Physically checked the dipstick before we left and it was below the max (albeit just!) the increase in volume is why we thought maybe it was the heat as the van hadn’t moved in a couple days and the temp hasn’t gone below 25 day or night. It’s still a touch over max today so just going to call vw assist see if they can drain some!

Aah ok. Then it may be the heat,
I’m not sure how much oil expands. I was just worried that it had risen considerably in 1500 miles.
I’d certainly be getting it down to halfway on the dipstick, which I believe is the accepted fill level. You could always buy a syringe and a length of narrow hose if you can’t get VW Assist in a timely manner.

There is a known issue with these engines where the oil level rises slightly in use when hot, the easiest work around is to keep the oil level away from max on the dipstick when cold, i would aim for around 1/3 up from bottom mark, on the basis that min to max is 1l you need to remove around 500-600ml ish

You will obviously need to monitor oil levels going forward to be sure it is just an effect of slight overfill from the service as against the oil level rising due to dilation and/or failed regens etc

There is a known issue with these engines where the oil level rises slightly in use when hot, the easiest work around is to keep the oil level away from max on the dipstick when cold, i would aim for around 1/3 up from bottom mark, on the basis that min to max is 1l you need to remove around 500-600ml ish

You will obviously need to monitor oil levels going forward to be sure it is just an effect of slight overfill from the service as against the oil level rising due to dilation and/or failed regens etc
It’s going for first service when we get back so will get them to have a good look at it so it doesn’t happen again! Cooler today and we went for same drive as yesterday and no fault showed so keeping everything crossed it was a one off (and we’ll monitor the oil way more frequently now!) thanks all:)

Update, phones vw assist who said we could keep going as we have about a cm allowance on the dipstick without causing problems or we could get some oil drained. Found an Italian mechanic who drained the oil for 10euros and if the sensor goes off again it’s faulty and will need changed when we’re home.

My understanding of the 6.1 has always been half way up the hatching when cold. However if you have a full drain and fill to VW specification of volume it takes you almost to the top of the hatching. On my last oil and filter change I forgot to check it when cold on getting home overnight etc. A few days later before a long heavy impending trip I was suprised to find it high above the high mark and was worried about lots of recent short journies

Went back to the mechanic and had a swap out of oil and filter and then next day when cold after onyl 20 miles it was on the high mark. considering the hatching is supposed to only be 1l variance I drained a litre out with a pela pump and it is on the half way up the hatching.

Update, phones vw assist who said we could keep going as we have about a cm allowance on the dipstick without causing problems or we could get some oil drained. Found an Italian mechanic who drained the oil for 10euros and if the sensor goes off again it’s faulty and will need changed when we’re home.
Excellent result!
10 Euro's, can you imagine that here? "I can fit you in in September, it's £100 to look at it."
Now you can relax and enjoy your holiday. :thumbsup:

The amber oil 'too high' warning light has recently happened to me. Having travelled around 60 miles on A1 it appeared on the dash.
Checked level when cool the next day and it was perfect Max.
It appeared again around 3 days later having travelled around 60 miles home on the A1.
Van only completed 8K miles and only 1K miles since oil change.
Spoke with Autohaus Dolby at Sheffield and they confirm they've had a few of these and changed the oil sensor and had no repeats.
I'm interested to learn though that it may be to do with the regeneration being interrupted, although on the second occasion it just came on while travelling at around 65 mph without stopping and eventually the warning cleared after a further 10 miles or so?

In my view perfect max is too high and I would have it in the middle of the hatch. The real test you dont know is what was it when they changed the oil? If you follow VW spec then it will be up near max or on it and that seems daft to me. So want you dont know is has it increased since the oil change or has it always been that high?

Thanks. Good point but hadn't checked level immediately after service?
yeh i never did either then panicked before my three month trip to Italy so had it done again LOL and then I knew exactly where it was. for £169 or whatever it was it was peace of mind

Back