T6 150ps urban mpg?

saintT6

Hi all, i'm looking a buying a 2017 T6 T32 LWB Blue motion 150ps. Autotrader is saying the urban mpg is 38.2 mpg. Does this sound about right? I have had a T5 140ps 4motion T32 LWB before and that did 31 mpg urban. Does should like quite a bit more but it is a newer and different engine i think and maybe the Blue Motion helps too.
Anyway any info on this would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi, I think that mpg figure is wishful thinking. The display in the van fluctuates between 28 to 42 but its only a guide and I don't take any notice of it. When the tank is full to the brim I get around 400 miles give or take. That's doesn't change much no matter motorway or urban driving. I had a 140 t5.1 before changing to a t6 150. The t5.1 sipped fuel compared to the t6. My wife even said the other day will preparing receipts for my accountant on how many there were. I think my accountant will assume I have a range rover as a new works vehicle
I have yet to do a proper mileage calculation as to be honest I know it's bad........if I am aware on how bad it might just make me sell it

I have a 2019 T6 150 DSG and a heavy right foot and I am seeing around 25-28 according to the dashboard display and that is mainly round town with a daily commute down a 50 stretch too.

I don't actually care - when it needs more diesel it gets more ;)

It’s a big, square non-aerodynamic box, drag is the biggest factor. Doubling the vans speed through the air quadruples the drag. 3x speed = 9x drag, etc.

It's worse than that, air drag is approximately proportional to the square of speed (fluid dynamics gets complicated at low and high speeds - low speed the drag is mostly the pressure at the front at high speeds it's a lot more about the turbulent flow around the vehicle)

So x2 speed x4 drag, x3 speed x9 drag, x4 speed x16 drag..

Thanks for your replies. Is the Blue Motion engine supposed to be more fuel efficient? How about the 140 v 150ps engines, any real world mpg difference between them?

Blue Motion and later variations are designed to be more "emissions efficient" - that doesn't always translate into fuel efficiency or longevity.

Thanks for your replies. Is the Blue Motion engine supposed to be more fuel efficient? How about the 140 v 150ps engines, any real world mpg difference between them?
I had a T5.1 Caravelle 140hp and changed to a T6 lwb Shuttle DSG 150hp. I estimate the Shuttle is better by 3-4mpg, though how much of that is down to the gearbox?

I have the 150 and the 140 and the 140 is better on fuel. The 150 has the standard 70ltr tank and around town will get 370-400 miles per tank and 400-450 miles on a longer journey! Because the 150 is adblue and will regen at least twice on a tank of fuel it seems to eat the fuel

I have a 150 in a much more recent 6.1 - I'd say 38 is achievable in urban but you'd need to be driving aiming to be fuel efficient.

My experiments with more long distance hyper-mileing are here

I have 2017 T6 kombi SWB 150ps manual, Around town I will get 30 - 32ish mpg, on a longer A road or motorway that will increase to 40mpg at 70mph or 45mpg at 65mph.
Thats based on the MFD which on my van seams to be pretty accurate when I compare it to brim to brim calcs

TDI 150 DSG in a (heavy) Caravelle here.

Short town trips: low 30's/high 20's
Longer Urban/suburban driving: mid-high 30's
Motorway/long journeys sat at 65mph, max 70mph: 40-45mpg.

You'll find when going above 70mph the economy falls off a cliff, because aerodynamics (lack of!).
And stop start traffic town traffic means constantly accelerating a 2.2 tonne van up to speed!

Back