The Big Bike Carrier Topic - Hoping to build a FAQ and list of Racks

It was delivered today, very quick. Only had it out of the box, read through the manual and put the number plate on. It looks and feels solid, heavy but not too heavy. Typically it's absolutely chucking it down today so I'm not going to fit it yet and the van needs the go in for some work, so might be the weekend before I have a chance to fit it.

PXL_20240930_131212660.MP~2.jpg

Ok so managed to get the bike carrier fitted today, but not without some hassle. The instructions are basic but easy enough to follow. Mostly pictorial.

Something to note, I have never had a vehicle with a towbar before so this was as much about me understanding how they work.

My towbar electrics are the 7 pin type and the carrier has a 13 pin plug. The carrier comes with a 13 to 7 pin adapter when bought from the Roof box company, which is useful....sort of.
The problem is that due to the shape of the carrier and where my 7 pin socket is on the van, using the adapter means there is not enough clearance to actually plug it in Hopefully the pictures show you what I mean.

I considered a few options but in the end I opted to change the 7 pin socket on the van for a 13 pin socket. Bought a Maypole 13 pin euro socket for m Euro Car Parts as they had 1 in stock for collection (£7.99). I followed the attached diagram for the wiring and it was simple enough to connect up, if a little fiddly. Once done all the lights (Inc brake) and indicators worked, but as my wiring loom only has the 7 wires this means pin 8 can't be used which would be for reversing lamps.

Naturally the carrier interferes with the parking sensors, which isn't much of an issue as I can simply turn them off in the van by pressing a button and just use the camera.

Overall the carrier works well, feels sturdy and the barn doors open with a couple of inches clearance once the sliding mechanism has been opened. This mechanism is simple to use. You slide a switch across just above the number plate then push down on the lip just below the number plate.

Any questions let me know.

PXL_20241006_094909760~2.jpg

PXL_20241006_095552872~2.jpg

PXL_20241006_155706753.MP.jpg

PXL_20241006_094839499~2.jpg

PXL_20241006_094854631~2.jpg

PXL_20241006_161506288.MP~3.jpg

PXL_20241006_160009475~2.jpg

PXL_20241006_155949001.MP~2.jpg

PXL_20241006_160153730.jpg

PXL_20241006_160216201.jpg

Hi @Mister-E , thanks for the 'review' fitting.

You might be able to make some sort of adapter plate which brings the Electronics a bit more to the front (or to the back depending how you look at it?) at this moment it seems like a simple metal plate where the plug is mounted an most likely easy to replace.

How are the rattles? Managed to fit a bike of 2 already?

Hi @Mister-E , thanks for the 'review' fitting.

You might be able to make some sort of adapter plate which brings the Electronics a bit more to the front (or to the back depending how you look at it?) at this moment it seems like a simple metal plate where the plug is mounted an most likely easy to replace.

How are the rattles? Managed to fit a bike of 2 already?
I did look at various adapter plates for the electronics and also my towbar has a drop plate, but after wrestling with the 2 massive bolts that hold the towbar on and failing to budge it, I settled for changing the socket

There doesn't appear to be any rattles, certainly nothing I can hear or feel when moving. I am however going to test it further with different bikes. Happy with it...so far.

I did look at various adapter plates for the electronics and also my towbar has a drop plate, but after wrestling with the 2 massive bolts that hold the towbar on and failing to budge it, I settled for changing the socket

There doesn't appear to be any rattles, certainly nothing I can hear or feel when moving. I am however going to test it further with different bikes. Happy with it...so far.
So tried 2 different bikes with different wheelbases on the carrier and it's initially like solving a puzzle, trying to figure out how they will best for together. Managed to get them on and secured. I'd be happy with how secure they are in general.

It's odd because I've only ever used a bike carrier that secures to the boot/tailgate using straps and this doesn't feel any more or less secure. I think I expected more, but never had an issue using that so I'm sure it will be fine.

My only concern is ground clearance on transition from slope to flat, or vice versa. My drive is quite steep and there was about 2 inches of clearance (according to the missus) reversing off the drive with the rack fitted but no bikes. Next task, when it's light, is to do that with bikes added....

Anyway for now I added a video of the rack in operation.

PXL_20241007_173204299.jpg

Back