Thermostat - Where Do You Mount Yours?

If you are dismantling the B pillar trims be gentle with the seatbelt retractors, they are pyrotechnic devices!!!

Sorry new to this what does that mean pls sound nasty
The seat belt retractors have an explosive device that causes the seatbelts to snap tight on the wearer in the event of an accident. These are ignited via the wires that are connected to the belt units by the airbag control module.

Just one of the many warnings from the dealer workshop manual...

"Before handling pyrotechnic components of the restraint system,
for example before separating an electrical connection,
the mechanic must electrostatically discharge himself/herself.
Electrostatic discharge is achieved by touching earthed metallic
parts, such as the door striker plate."

Don't be frightened by the above, just treat and handle these components gently and with respect! If in doubt have the work done by an experienced person.

The seat belt retractors have an explosive device that causes the seatbelts to snap tight on the wearer in the event of an accident. These are ignited via the wires that are connected to the belt units by the airbag control module.

Just one of the many warnings from the dealer workshop manual...

"Before handling pyrotechnic components of the restraint system,
for example before separating an electrical connection,
the mechanic must electrostatically discharge himself/herself.
Electrostatic discharge is achieved by touching earthed metallic
parts, such as the door striker plate."

Don't be frightened by the above, just treat and handle these components gently and with respect! If in doubt have the work done by an experienced person.
Ok thanks should be ok as this is me 2AC77714-F171-4E0F-9FE9-6E13C78D990E.jpeg

In the end I fitted-refitted mine in the side of the pop top (see below) I found this works best as I can see the clock/temp from the seating area. Still getting used to the comfort controller, but happy enough.
90022174-1293-4C01-8C28-8825793148F0_1_105_c.jpeg

I went with the same place as @Dripster :

PXL_20230122_141825244.jpg

Nice and easy to reach and there's less space at the top of the B-pillar above the belt in a Cali. Also the overhead cubby in the front already has switches etc. in it.

There was loads of length in the loom bundled up under the drivers seat.

Just the rubbish warm air outlet to fix now....

My Cali Beach had an after market Eberspacher diesel heater fitted before I owned it. It's great apart from the controls are in a really weird location:

Yup, stuck to a junction box stuck on the side of the passenger seat base. (Excuse the lack of hoovering in that photo...)

I'm planning to move it, but can't decide where to - where have you all put yours? On the dash? B pillar? Etc...

Don't think the wires have much available slack but I presume these can just spliced to extend.

I am having the same dilemma - where have you ended up?

Here's the one on our Beach, near side b-pillar facing in to the van

Where did you route the cable?

I put mine above the seat belt on the b-pillar - you have to be careful to secure the cable so that it doesn't come into contact with the seat belt and high enough above to allow the movement of the belt height adjustment. That way it accessible from front and rear. Down near the floor between the seats seems crazy to me - I would hit that every time with my boots as I walk through.

In a California or ordinary van as the Cali C pillar trim is somewhat shorter?

I am having the same dilemma - where have you ended up?

Where did you route the cable?

In a California or ordinary van as the Cali C pillar trim is somewhat shorter?
See post 43 just above yours!

If you pull up the trim between the carpet and rear hard floor you can fit the cables in the gap between the flooring / just under the edge of the carpet. I then removed the upper b pillar tim and loosened the lower trim so I could fish the cable up with a wire hook.

Looking at the back of the upper b pillar trim I decided there deffo wasn't enough space to put it above the belt. The slidey up and down mechanism for the belt would probably foul the cables.

So I eventually went full circle and mounted it on the trim next to the rear Ac panel. Getting the cable there was simple and wrapped in carbon mesh sleeve so it won’t rattle. It faces down a bit but is easy to see especially from bed.

1677425061850.jpeg

Last edited:
Back