Victron Smart DC-DC 12/12/30A Isolated Charger with Smart Alternator?

scrapi

Hi Guys,

Been reading a few threads looking for settings.

I have a Victron Smart 12/12/30 isolated charger and the van has a smart alternator. Both negatives on the isolated smart charger are connected to ground (not sure if that makes a difference - but wanted to check).
Smart charger is not detecting the engine has started. Looking at the app when the van is started, the engine start is not being detected. Occasionally it does whilst driving (i assume when the smart alternator kicks in more (13-14v).

I've read some posts about some sort of "connection to a fuse/ignition" to enable the smart charger to know the engine is on. Can anyone please help what this is and where it should be connected to the Smart Charger? OR....is it the settings I have in the app (shown below) which are not being "smart"?

Thanks

Screenshot_20240527_131212.jpgScreenshot_20240527_131205.jpgScreenshot_20240527_131221.jpged the

Your can twerk the Auto detection settings to pickup the lower engine running voltage.... That's what I done.

You can also run a IGNITION feed or Engine Run.

But start with these settings for now...

I'll add pics...

+++

See the engine shutdown etc settings.

13.10v
13.05v
120sec
12.99v

+++

Screenshot_20240527_140603.jpgScreenshot_20240527_140616.jpgScreenshot_20240527_140622.jpgScreenshot_20240527_140634.jpg

Isolated chargers are not needed on a grounded body vehicle like a T6, so it's fine for both negatives to be connected to ground (so long as they both are)

The settings from your app look plausible, note that if you've just started the engine you'll be in the delayed start section so it will wait at least 2 minutes (120 seconds), this is to ensure the charger doesn't put a load on until the engine is running stably.

Isolated chargers are not needed on a grounded body vehicle like a T6, so it's fine for both negatives to be connected to ground (so long as they both are)

The settings from your app look plausible, note that if you've just started the engine you'll be in the delayed start section so it will wait at least 2 minutes (120 seconds), this is to ensure the charger doesn't put a load on until the engine is running stably.
Your can twerk the Auto detection settings to pickup the lower engine running voltage.... That's what I done.

You can also run a IGNITION feed or Engine Run.

But start with these settings for now...

I'll add pics...

+++

See the engine shutdown etc settings.

13.10v
13.05v
120sec
12.99v

+++

View attachment 242963View attachment 242964View attachment 242965View attachment 242966

Thanks. I tried those settings, but no joy so far. The charger didn't kick in until the alternator voltage increased.

I also got son to monitor the battery whilst driving...we went on a 2hr drive... it only kicked in when alternator was outputting higher voltage.

I was using Carista app to monitor car voltage. Oddly battery hovered between 80% and 85% in the app...oddly it didnt just "go up". never more that 85% on the whoe 2hr journey. It's a new "ish" battery....so just put it on seperage charge when got home to see if any issues there.

In terms of the "ignition feed", where is that run from and to?

Screenshot_20240526_200531_Carista.jpg

Screenshot_20240526_195950_Carista.jpgScreenshot_20240526_200554_Carista.jpg

Screenshot_20240527_131212.jpg

I would try and measure the voltage of the van electrics from the battery or a 12v socket you know is connected to it and compare to the voltage reaching the charger.

If you've got an issue with voltage drop due to cable size or bad connections you want to know that before forcing the charger to draw 30A over it.

Do you have some pictures of your install?

Ignition signal is normally taken from the centre section of the dash fusebox that is ignition switched.

There are generally no switched feeds under the seats unless you have the factory second battery, or full factory 13pin towing electrics and are willing to configure things with VCDS

I was using Carista app to monitor car voltage. Oddly battery hovered between 80% and 85% in the app...oddly it didnt just "go up". never more that 85% on the whoe 2hr journey. It's a new "ish" battery....so just put it on seperage charge when got home to see if any issues there.
That's totally normal and well documented behaviour for a start stop vehicle battery, the "gap" is left for regenerative braking to recover energy.

If you charge it at home all it will do is fill the battery and then the van will let it drop back down to that level before it charges. If you charge it at home do not place the negative of the charger on the battery terminal, you need to be the other side of the shunt, otherwise you will charge the battery in a way that's not seen by the van electronics and things will start to get confused, possibly leading to over charging of the van battery.

With a DC-DC charger the state of the van battery and charging system is essentially irrelevant.

The only relevance in your case is the voltage of the van electrics as your DC-DC charger is using that to sense the pattern of a Smart Alternator running so it only charges when the engine is running.

Thanks. I tried those settings, but no joy so far. The charger didn't kick in until the alternator voltage increased.

I also got son to monitor the battery whilst driving...we went on a 2hr drive... it only kicked in when alternator was outputting higher voltage.

In terms of the "ignition feed", where is that run from and to?

View attachment 242992

View attachment 242993View attachment 242994

View attachment 242991
These are the settings you need to change.....

To reduce the voltage point that the charger wakes up at.

13.1v works on my van .. but you can't go lower is you wish.

Screenshot_20240528_064928_Chrome.jpg

Back