Victron tr smart dc to dc charger l/h terminal?

Bunty

T6 Pro
Hi guys, I’m just wiring in my victron tr smart dc to dc charger in my 2017 transporter.
I’m happy with all the wiring apart from the green L/H terminal. It comes bridged in the box , I’m sure I have seen somewhere people taking the bridge out and wiring it to the fuse box …… do I just leave it bridged ? If not what do I need to connect it to?
Thank you!

You can use this to remotely turn on and off the charger. If you leave it connected it will be on all the time. You can add a switch or a set of relay connects to control the charger. For example you could wire a relay to turn on the charger when the vehicle is running.
Hope that helps.

You can use this to remotely turn on and off the charger. If you leave it connected it will be on all the time. You can add a switch or a set of relay connects to control the charger. For example you could wire a relay to turn on the charger when the vehicle is running.
Hope that helps.
Not strictly true. The Orion has an engine shutdown detection algorithm which will automatically turn the charger off when the engine is not running. Alternatively, you can disable engine shutdown detection, remove the wire bridge and connect an ignition switched live to the H terminal to enable the charger when the ignition is on.

Not strictly true. The Orion has an engine shutdown detection algorithm which will automatically turn the charger off when the engine is not running. Alternatively, you can disable engine shutdown detection, remove the wire bridge and connect an ignition switched live to the H terminal to enable the charger when the ignition is on.
What way do you think is best. I would like to fit this unit but don’t want to try running ignition switch.

What way do you think is best. I would like to fit this unit but don’t want to try running ignition switch wire.

It depends on your feeling of risk.

If you leave it to the algorithm there is a chance that it gets it wrong and continues charging when the engine is off and drops the starter battery, but most should also shut off before it is too low.

If you run an ignition or BCM signal then it's much more definite. If you are having the van in bits to fit everything then now is perhaps the best time to put that wire in.

Plenty of people do it both ways without any issues.

Back