VW T5.1 2.0 CAAC Long Crank / Starting Issues?

Did you get to the bottom of this ?
Nope.

Rarely use the van so it’s been sitting on the drive

Went to start it today after sitting there for a week and cranked for ages again, normally it only does it once it’s been started once and then you leave it a while but today it did it from cold.

Maybe the hot weather is a contributing factor?

I’m going to replace the battery next for the sake of £100.

I've been having the exact same issues as this, intermittent starting problem and rough running.
So far fuel pressure reg has been replaced, fuel filters replaced twice, diesel heater coils replaced, battery replaced, fuel injectors replaced and now I'm thinking about deleting the egr valve.
It's a nightmare

Update on this...

Starter motor eventually gave way after it cranked for ages one morning.

Local garage changed the starter motor (used a lucas OEM one) and its now starting much quicker BUT it still does have a 2-3 second crank if left for a while, nothing like the 15-20 seconds it was cranking before and you can feel how much stronger the crank is than it was before the starter motor replacement.

I have a battery monitor and its showing 'Low Cranking Voltage between 8 - 9.5v.
Bought a new battery and still shows the same low cranking voltage so perhaps the Battery monitor app I have is not accurate and this is a red herring.

Planning on selling the van in a few months anyway so with the new starter motor, its starting fine 98% of the time so I am happy with that. Perhaps a 2-3 second crank every now and then is normal, its not an issue I am going to chase for a van I am selling anyway

Back