We want to drive to the Dolomites - any tips and advice welcome.

Gunship

T6 Pro
We have 2 or 3 weeks off just after the schools go back in September and we are tempted to take our first trip in the van off UK soil - the Dolomites are our preferred destination but haven't done anything like this before - so this place seems a good resource of useful know how to pillage.

We are 2 + small dog in our T6 camper so would appreciate any recommendations in terms of routes, overnight stops, places to visit along the way. How long to allow for the actualy route down etc. We will have a big drive this site of the channel too (Manchester) so imagine our first night will be either down south here, or very soon after crossing.

I know there are plenty of old threads to have a good read through too, but can't hurt to gather up to date tips, tricks, do-s, don't-s, experiences good and bad here too.

TIA.

Are you looking to get down there as quickly as possible? You're still looking at 2 days drive from Calais if you go the fastest route, unless you want to do a big days drive (12hrs+).

So that's 3x days both ends of the trip driving there and back.

If you wanted to take the more leisurely option then you've got hundreds of choices where to stop, you're crossing 5 countries just in Europe!

Do you have any area in the Dolomites in mind as there are several routes ie via Mont Blanc or the Brenner Pass .

If you are looking for a simple stop over down south the Drum inn is a stop before the Eurotunnel junction. Plenty of places in and around Folkestone / Dover to wild camp if you just want to rock up crash for the night and get on your way fresh and early the next day.

Oh and I assume you know the rules for pets to leave the UK and come back?

Animal health certificates online are based in folkestone and seem to be the cheapest around and there are alwayws people stopping by on their way to collect the final paperworks. Plus a worming tablet to get back 24- 5 days before arrival so you will need to think about that part a bit more carefully if you dont intend to blast back in a couple of days of departure.

Do you have any area in the Dolomites in mind as there are several routes ie via Mont Blanc or the Brenner Pass .
Unless you want to see Mont Blanc don't go this way. Drive to around Heidelberg in Germany, stay over there. Then Innsbruck either round the Autobahn past Munich or the back route via Fussen where you can take a break at the scary suspension bridge, to Innertal (Innsbruck) then about 3 hours you're in the western dolomites at St Christiana / Val Gardena. Stay here or continue to Cortina d'ampezzo either area is quite spectacular.

TBH not done this in the T6 but done it several times in the car.

My plan is to go via Fussen and the Highline 179 suspension bridge as mentioned by @AdL
Some of the prices around Dolomites for parking are crazy so beware - one area it’s €45 for 12 hours for campervan….amazing spot tho for views & hikes / walks but that’s a lot of money. This is nr Auronzo Rifugio.

Remember to buy your vignette if driving through Austria. You can pick it up just before the border at any service station.

The roads in the dolomites can get “interesting” , we had a head on with a local taking the racing line one morning. Sweeping generalisation , the driving is far worse in the Italian speaking side!

Remember to buy your vignette if driving through Austria. You can pick it up just before the border at any service station.

The roads in the dolomites can get “interesting” , we had a head on with a local taking the racing line one morning. Sweeping generalisation , the driving is far worse in the Italian speaking side!
even better if you have more than I think 18 days then you can do it online and don't have to sit and wait in the queue as there often is one and you can just sail on by without even needing a sticker in the window. Also if entering via Germany fuel up at the Autohof, they are off the main highway but not by far and fuel is cheaper and if you need to stop for a bit longer usually a little more remote and less busy.

I

have just bought and moved to a new house in italy. I can confirm it isnt a sweeping generalisation, driving standards in Italy are shocking. Noone seems to indicate at ALL so they all seem to like that as it means you judge everyone as an idiot..........one handed driving is common, the other hand either using a phone or "talking" the Italian way in hand signals. I came up behind an old lady in an old Fiat Panda on the highway, on the phone with her brakelights on and she cant have be doing 30kmh, the volumeof vehicles misjudging her and almost smashing her into next week.

I

have just bought and moved to a new house in italy. I can confirm it isnt a sweeping generalisation, driving standards in Italy are shocking. Noone seems to indicate at ALL so they all seem to like that as it means you judge everyone as an idiot..........one handed driving is common, the other hand either using a phone or "talking" the Italian way in hand signals. I came up behind an old lady in an old Fiat Panda on the highway, on the phone with her brakelights on and she cant have be doing 30kmh, the volumeof vehicles misjudging her and almost smashing her into next week.
It does at least improve in the sud Tirol region.

Yes I checked and Austria now do an e-vignette like the Swiss and it covers international plates.
indeed it does, I have one since last November, got a Swiss one as well and now have the Fulli tag to replace my Emovis tag so that covers my time in Italy (and France) and I will return the emovis when I get back home as they are wrapped up in tin foil in a tin box to ensure that they dont also charge me. First time using Fulli so didnt want to take risk didnt work at the first French stop. LOL

For a first European trip I'd personally stick with France. Still plenty of of amazing places to see. Less stressful rather than travelling through several different countries. Get your feet and then plan for bigger adventures.

Yes I checked and Austria now do an e-vignette like the Swiss and it covers international plates.
we got our last Austrian Vignette at a petrol station, IIRC it was 10euros for 14 days. No paperwork involved, you just gave them the reg number & they ran it through the till & you got a till receipt with the reg no & expiry date.

You can also get a one day vignette, think it was around €8.60
View attachment 251771
You have not been able to get a 1 day vignette for a long time. It is annoying as I travel through Austria to Slovakia and back usually a couple months between trips so only really several hours each way, however seeing as I do it several times a year I went for an annual this last year although things change with our Italy purchase LOL

we got our last Austrian Vignette at a petrol station, IIRC it was 10euros for 14 days. No paperwork involved, you just gave them the reg number & they ran it through the till & you got a till receipt with the reg no & expiry date.
indeed you can also buy it in Germany at the last two stops for fuel before you get to the border as well as at the border and the petrol station just after the border. The bonus with the online one is that if you are ok for fuel and dont need a stop then it saves an unnecessary stop and can cut out a queue as I have seen some large queues at all hours. I think in Germany they still give you a super sticky sticker. If youve a chameleon tint you will know better than to use it. LOL

We have 2 or 3 weeks off just after the schools go back in September and we are tempted to take our first trip in the van off UK soil - the Dolomites are our preferred destination but haven't done anything like this before - so this place seems a good resource of useful know how to pillage.

We are 2 + small dog in our T6 camper so would appreciate any recommendations in terms of routes, overnight stops, places to visit along the way. How long to allow for the actualy route down etc. We will have a big drive this site of the channel too (Manchester) so imagine our first night will be either down south here, or very soon after crossing.

I know there are plenty of old threads to have a good read through too, but can't hurt to gather up to date tips, tricks, do-s, don't-s, experiences good and bad here too.

TIA.
We’ve been to the Dolomites a few time but only in winter. Last year we did a summer trip to Italy & crossed via the St Bernard pass. Absolutely stunning & well worth the effort. You touch a corner of Switzerland, but don’t need to pay anything if you don’t use the motorways (we didn’t). You then drive down the Aosta valley, which is also glorious. You then just head towards Turin/milan/bergamo. You can head north at Milan & travel up the side of lakes como & Garda. I doubt you’d get much further tbh, plenty to grab your attention before you even get to the Dollies.

Back