We want to drive to the Dolomites - any tips and advice welcome.

You have not been able to get a 1 day vignette for a long time. It is annoying as I travel through Austria to Slovakia and back usually a couple months between trips so only really several hours each way, however seeing as I do it several times a year I went for an annual this last year although things change with our Italy purchase LOL
It’s an option to buy on the website - a one day vignette, but not actually tried to buy one.
IMG_9531.jpeg

It’s an option to buy on the website - a one day vignette, but not actually tried to buy one.
View attachment 251788
wow thats nuts as its one of the things thats been annoying for AGES for most of the European places I visit that they dont do one day vignettes. I have often popped across the border from slovakia a couple of junctions and not bothered when going to the outlet at Parndorf. Good to see some change.

we did this last September. We went from lake Annecy which is well worth a stop over. Then up and through the Mont Blanc tunnel. We booked into a hotel in Selva as it was getting on and the campsite (camping Corvara) was still 50mins or so away. The whole area is stunning in both summer and winter, hiking and mountain biking were superb. stayed 4 nights in Corvara then came back via Stelvio pass into Switzerland and back through France. lot of driving but well worth it. We tend to push on on the driving days then park up for 4 or so to recharge. great trip that you should hold memories for a long time.

I’d check before relying on the Mont Blanc tunnel. It’s scheduled for maintenance from September.

So have just done this - in fact, do it regularly, but this was my first trip in the van.
I chose to go via Fuessen this time -some hints on the trip down if you require.
1. Get across Belgium & Holland to Germany, cross near Cologne. Be aware in most German cities now you need a green TuV ULEZ sticker - best to pick it up over there. You can search Google for TuV garages, you just present then wth your V5 and 6 euros later you have a green stickr that will never come off.. If you want to break the journey before the Rhine, Leuven near Brussels is a good alternative to the usual Bruges or Ghent. Or Valkenburg near Maastricht.
2. I stopped at Lorelei (great campsite with views), dropped down the Rhein and into Heidelberg but then went on to Rothenburg (recommend Camping Tauber-Idyll). Heidelberg camping is not brilliant tbh and parking around the city is a nightmare. But if you have time, you can stay near Weinheim (more North) and just get a tram in, lot less hassle.
3. Then on to Fuessen for an overnight or two by the lake. Also stopped in Kempten on the way back, which is OK but not as pretty.
4. Driving over then to Innsbrueck and then over again the Brenner to North Italy, toured around Lake Garda. Note for Austria you now need a Vignette for motorway travel (book it online the night before, you can get a 1-day or 10-day pass) as well as the tolls for the Brenner.
This route will take you 3 overnights if you are hell bent on getting down there. German roads are fast, kee pan eye out for campers with Dutch (yellow) or Belgian (Red) numberplates, they're always a nightmare on the autobahns.

Overall, it's a lot longer and a bit more hassle than my usual route - straight down to Luxembourg avoiding the French tolls (1 night stopover round here somewhere), then (after filling the tank) down through Strasbourg/Colmar to the Black Forest/Freiburg and then onto Bern/Interlaken (2nd night) and over(actually under) into TIcino via Gotthard (Ancona is quite nice on the lake there). Alternatively, you could head over to Chur and take the Julianpass over to St Moritz, and thats also a really nice drive. Switzerland is obviously more expensive but the journey ends up being a bit cheaper on diesel & tolls even though you need a vignette for Switzerland. Plus camping on the lake at Interlaken/Thun is great.

Last edited:
Back