What are you growing at the moment?

About 12 sqM of blackcurrants, never prune and cover them in wood ash from the woodburner. Branches are so heavy they are on the ground.
I've got plenty of wood ash, I'll try that, thanks in advance!

Peas, beans, broad beans, peppers, tomatoes, spuds!
@JOG Bell peppers? I’ve got 40 plants, they are about 10” high and not getting any taller, whether in the ground or potted in the green house. When does the magic happen, I thought I’d try something different?
Runner beans
Broad beans
Globe carrots
Chard
Rhubarb
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Radish
Wild rocket
Purple sprouting broccoli
Apples
Blackcurrants
Gooseberries (pigeon food apparently)
Raspberries, summer and autumn.
Blueberries
Apples
Gherkin cucumbers
Mint
Parsley
Sage

Reactions: CAB
Rhubarb was good this year, carrots doing well, chilli's not so good, too cold this year. Blackcurrants doing good. First year in the garden of new house so still discovering what works where. Got patches of clay, which is interesting in winter with sitting water. Also horses mane weeds which are a nightmare. But more positives than negatives

Reactions: CAB
Rhubarb was good this year, carrots doing well, chilli's not so good, too cold this year. Blackcurrants doing good. First year in the garden of new house so still discovering what works where. Got patches of clay, which is interesting in winter with sitting water. Also horses mane weeds which are a nightmare. But more positives than negatives
Mare's Tail is difficult to kill, I just use Roundup, that still works, better still if it's only a small patch after spraying, brush it in with a broom otherwise the waxy leaves repel it.

on the allotment this year
Raspberries
Chard
Gooseberries
Red currants
Strawberries
Dwarf beans
Tomatoes
Courgettes
Butternuts
Pumpkins
Mini cucumbers
Rhubarb
Carrots
Spring onions

Harvested already
Broad beans
Peas
Garlic

Accidentally growing Hops.
I do a bit of all grain home brewing. It would seem some brewing waste that’s gets dug into the fruit bushes area had some viable hops matter. Which has sprung into a hop bine. Since it first appeared, I have re sighted to a sunny spot by the pagoda and it’s gone crazy. So fingers crossed for a good hop harvest in late summer so I can brew with them.

Away travelling in Europe so the pallet garden moved in range of watering system. Some diy brackets, job done.View attachment 256819
We were away in Europe for 2 months this year and watering inside the greenhouse is a problem. We don't trust mains water timers now since a hose blew off and used enough water to fill a small swimming pool! But for the last 5 years we have used one of these solar watering systems which uses water from a butt. It's never gone wrong so far.. Fingers crossed! This is the 12 dripper version but there is a 24 dripper one.

Hard to harvest the plums... As the wasps were taking control. Even after eating so many got a bumper crop from one tree! Apples did rubbish this year tho!1000027057.jpg

Nothing this year.

Just moved house so have had other more pressing things on my mind. Nevertheless, I love growing food and just last week I've built some raised beds and installed a vertical greenhouse so I'm ready to start growing from seed in the early spring.

We moved into our new house end of last year and are delighted to find copious amounts of rhubarb and blackcurrants in the borders to compliment the wild raspberries and blackberries in the hedgerows along the lane......

Two years ago I got carried away building raised beds, it took 44 tonnes of topsoil to fill them.....all my ideas about keeping fit, Oh it'll do me good, etc, went out of the window when a neighbour offered me his 8 tonne 360 digger and a dumper for the weekend. I think he took pity on me, seeing me stooped over with a ruined back after the first five tonnes. Anyway, now we enjoy the fruits, lots of them, and veg. I think peas and raspberries have been my favourites.

What did you fill your raised beds with Dave? I use a mix of roughly 50:50 fine topsoil and compost and have had excellent results, particularly with tomatoes.

What did you fill your raised beds with Dave? I use a mix of roughly 50:50 fine topsoil and compost and have had excellent results, particularly with tomatoes.
About 80% topsoil and the rest compost and rotted manure. We've had great results except where the slugs got to some of the seedlings. I put beer traps out but in the end they were drinking more than me!

Back