What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

All innuendo apart, does that have a collar behind the glistening bit to stop your hand slipping off the end?
That sounds worse than my wordage! Your hand doesn't slip off.
In all truth it's not as ergonomically pleasing as the nasty plastic one it replaced, but it looks significantly better. The gaiter is smaller and hidden behind the knobby bit, but on the whole a lovely anniversary present from my good lady wife! I haven't gone as far as wiring the illuminations up yet, I'm awaiting incoming advice about the 'ambient circuit'... whatever that may be!

Lovely hour in the van today fiddling with my knob. I have successfully converted my 5 speed box into a 6 speed with this super German creation. Beautifully leathery, a veritable pleasure to hold in ones hand, as all good knobs are apparently.

View attachment 219736
Isn't that going to be a bit confusing if you come to sell it?

Can just imagine the buyer thrashing down the motorway trying to jam it into a non-existent 6th gear :slow rofl:

............................ or maybe you have managed to upgrade the gearbox by replacing the gearstick :whistle:

Sell it? Sell it?!

The van and associated merits are a newfound shared love with the Mrs and I!
I don't know what we would talk about if it wasn't for the van and forum life! (Oh and the kids and pets, especially the pets).

I will of course keep the proper knob, it was such an easy mod to do, but I am strangely pleased with my increased showing of gearage! I smile when my hand goes around my knob, never a bad thing!

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
I then got stuck because I just couldn’t work out how to neatly mount the Helix DSP, Audison 5.600 amp and the distribution fuse box under the seat.

What do you do with them @Absolut5 @Dav-Tec @BognorMotors ?

I looked at a wood panel but can’t see how to fix it in safely
I wondered about some meccano style bits of metal with holes in to bend into a cradle and use the factory holes that are at the top of the seat base on both sides with nut and bolt?

Ideally want to be able to get to the panel on the top of the amp for adjustments from the back behind the seat base clip on cover - otherwise I got to take seat off to get to it.
Would this be any use?

Would this be any use?

They just might - thanks very much :thumbsup:

Got a link to this ?
sorry for the delay!

it’s gone up to £165 now but still seems good value.

I looked at a wood panel but can’t see how to fix it in safely
I wondered about some meccano style bits of metal with holes in to bend into a cradle and use the factory holes that are at the top of the seat base on both sides with nut and bolt?

Ideally want to be able to get to the panel on the top of the amp for adjustments from the back behind the seat base clip on cover - otherwise I got to take seat off to get to it.
@t6blo
Not familiar with what you are fitting, but when I fitted my inverter and DC-DC into my drivers seat base I did the following:
With the seatbase removed, there were 4 unused holes in the underside of the seat base, 2 on each side.
I used these to fix a wooden baton to each side of the seat base, using pan head screws from the underside; the seatbase is raised slightly, so the fixings protruding are not an issue.
Then I used these batons to screw down and secure a wooden base plate within the seat base upon which I could attach anything I wanted. I cut a hole in it to allow my diesel heater duct to pass through and another hole to pass cable through.
I also screwed a couple of batons into the base plate from the underside so I could add a further shelf above.
Maybe something along similar lines would work for you?

@t6blo
Not familiar with what you are fitting, but when I fitted my inverter and DC-DC into my drivers seat base I did the following:
With the seatbase removed, there were 4 unused holes in the underside of the seat base, 2 on each side.
I used these to fix a wooden baton to each side of the seat base, using pan head screws from the underside; the seatbase is raised slightly, so the fixings protruding are not an issue.
Then I used these batons to screw down and secure a wooden base plate within the seat base upon which I could attach anything I wanted. I cut a hole in it to allow my diesel heater duct to pass through and another hole to pass cable through.
I also screwed a couple of batons into the base plate from the underside so I could add a further shelf above.
Maybe something along similar lines would work for you?
Thanks, will look for those holes :thumbsup:

By my measurements the Audison SR5.600 amp is too tall to fit under the seat with this. Be interested if you can get it to fit.
With the RCAs plugged in I have come to the same conclusion that it will be @Skyliner33 :confused:
I was hoping to have the amp standing up so I could access the top panel adjustments from the rear of the seat base.

Looks like I will have to have it flat.

Let the man from VW collect my car last night and take it the workshop this morning for its DSG oil and filter change. Somehow they quotes LESS than my very friendly local independent. Miles fly as I've done circa 27k since collecting it on 1st Dec last year.

Health check no surprises other than front pads low which I suspected and rear reversing sensors have come off (which I knew). Its an easy home fix although the quote £220 as say the bumper needs to come off.

Reactions: CAB
Also following this with interest.
Guessing it is run from the centre console or a seat base leisure battery install and then just fed under the rubber/carpet from the seat base up the b pillar along with other wiring in the main harness. That’s how mine was done.

Yea. I don’t have a leisure battery so wanted to know where the feed was taken from. Wondering if there is a supply under the passenger seat.

Yea. I don’t have a leisure battery so wanted to know where the feed was taken from. Wondering if there is a supply under the passenger seat.
Could be passenger seat or could be centre console. Behind the centre console is a fuse box with easy access to permanent live and switched live.

If you don’t have a leisure battery then a switched live makes more sense.

Back