What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Window bags fitted!
View attachment 239467
View attachment 239468
View attachment 239469
View attachment 239470
There's more of a gap the top than I thought there would be, but that's to allow for the California plastics - the caravelle headlining/plastic trim is smaller I think.
I'm presuming these will be fine with a Shuttle too? A good storage solution for clothes etc, much better than having to live around soft bags which is what I do at present. I cope with it when solo travelling, but if there's 2 of us it gets awkward.

I'm presuming these will be fine with a Shuttle too? A good storage solution for clothes etc, much better than having to live around soft bags which is what I do at present. I cope with it when solo travelling, but if there's 2 of us it gets awkward.
Have you got the pull up blinds in the shuttle? They sit behind the hooks for that, or the blinds that pull down in the California.

If you've got these, I think they'll fit, as the lower plastics would be the same.

1000007594.jpg

MOT passed with no advisories, just waiting on the major service to be completed. :thumbsup: Only done 3100 miles since last year :whistle:

Been ‘buzzing’ about in this since 8am :cool: I’ve nicknamed it ‘the ginger t**t’

IMG_2160.jpeg

Looking forward to getting my van back and refitting the small plates, LED H4 bulbs, air freshener on the rear view mirror etc etc.

Ok, dimmer definitely needed. They're just a bit too bright at full whack, and dimming them will help with light leak too if I'm stealth camping.

View attachment 238663
View attachment 238664
Before, with no light above the kitchen, or the single flexible spot light:
View attachment 238665
View attachment 238666
At minimum:
View attachment 238667
Full whack
View attachment 238668

Mind you, even at full brightness they're nowhere near as eye piercing as the factory LED roof lights, those things are BRIGHT.

And yes, I know there's a few LED's out on one strip, luckily I've got enough left to cut another length, I didn't notice until I'd cut the strip. Tbh I'll probably end up getting some more for for some extra low level lighting in the back of the van.
I know what you mean about the factory LED in the Caravelle - actually we leave ours off and the cab ones, the footwell lights give us enough and frequently at night were lifting and shift sleeping younguns.

I do have a spare set of light fittings from a Shuttle (thanks forum!) to play with. I may try and rework the PCBs with more warm white and lower power LEDs but there is also a diffuser panel there which I think I can add some theatre gel behind to tame them down and warm them up.

It's on the to tinker list!

Rather hurriedly booked the Caravelle in for end of warranty service and first MOT after a call from the van centre yesterday.

I'd been working to an August time table as that's when all the inclusive WeConnect etc expires but they noticed that actually it was first registered in June so rather more urgent - I'd completely missed the subtlety of it being a dealer demonstrator for the first few months :unsure:

Firstly, bought a BM2
20240501_155149.jpg

Crimped in a fuse holder

20240501_162441.jpg

Took off the top fuse cover

20240504_102244.jpg
Attached the monitor to a spare post, and whilst I was there, put the NoCo lead on the other spare. Negative for the BM2 to the battery clamp, NoCo to the wing where I was previously using a short length of cable to clamp to.

20240504_104044.jpg

Better reading than I expected, as my tracker was showing 12.1v

Screenshot_20240504-103608_Battery Monitor.jpg
And plugged in the charger

Screenshot_20240504-104929_Battery Monitor.jpg

Looks good to me anyway

Many thanks to @roadtripper for the advice,

I'm wondering by applying pressure to the panel you may have re-established a connection somewhere. Even a dirty dirty panel will still get a voltage of more than 1v. Keep your eye on it! There shouldn't be a need for T-Cut. We have a bird loving neighbour who extensively feeds our feathered friends who show their gratitude by bombing our vehicles, most upsetting, I use an occasional wet wipe to remove the 'product'!
It looks like you were right! The voltage soon dropped back down to 1V. I can get it back up to full voltage if I apply a lot of pressure at a specific point on the flexible panel. It looks like I will need to replace it. Unfortunately it's bonded on to the pop top.

Death by wiring! Oh, maybe not the best turn of phrase... :rofl:

Lots of wiring!
1000007615.jpg
The awning is seeing more use than it's ever had!
1000007616.jpg
1000007617.jpg
Tidy.
1000007618.jpg
First of the 2 LED lights strips installed.
1000007619.jpg
What's that dimmer switch hanging from where the grab handle used to be? I hear you ask. Well, a week ago I was sat in the van trying to figure out where to put the dimmer switch for these lights, without altering the interior too much. C pillar was an option but it's too far from the door, and there's no enough room behind it, so I'd need to mount a panel.

Then, it grabbed me. Or rather, I grabbed it...

The grab handles above the doors have nice solid mounts into the chassis, and would mean zero modifications to the van. So... :D

1000007621.jpg

It needs finishing off, but this isn't the only one I'm going to make. ;)

I need to mount a Renogy One Core somewhere, and I've got an idea for the drivers side grab handles above the kitchen and window bags. Watch this space. :cool:

Back