What Have You Done To Your Van Today?

Finally fitted the Victron IP65 charger and had a good look at the under seat electric set up. Set everything up, checked all working and made sure there were no errors on the van when restarting after unclipping the connection under the driver's seat.

I have the Lion Battery so I'm sure the set up the charger is ok. Any suggestions if it isn't.
1000017080.jpg1000017078.png1000017079.png

1000016568.jpg

"Lion" is a potentially very confusing brand name for a conventional lead acid battery... :oops:

But your settings look fine :thumbsup:

Hopefully those post terminals are normally covered?

Only thing I would recommend considering is that your battery terminals are very crowded and several of those circuits don't obviously look fused. You might want to consider moving to a bus bar or sub fuse box so it can be a bit tidier and have a master fuse. At the very least consider using the multi terminal battery clamps:

"Lion" is a potentially very confusing brand name for a conventional lead acid battery... :oops:

But your settings look fine :thumbsup:

Hopefully those post terminals are normally covered?

Only thing I would recommend considering is that your battery terminals are very crowded and several of those circuits don't obviously look fused. You might want to consider moving to a bus bar or sub fuse box so it can be a bit tidier and have a master fuse. At the very least consider using the multi terminal battery clamps:

They weren't covered when I bought the van. Only thing that's been added to the terminals is a connector for the diesel heater. Which has been on over a year.

I was looking for a bus bar or something similar to tidy it up. I've not moved just tidied the wires up a little from the guy who converted it. There are fuses, maybe not noticeable from the picture.

The multi terminal connection looks good, I was thinking of bus bars to help. I just don't have the tools to sort the wires just now.

Thanks @roadtripper for the advice

I'd recommend trying to find something to at least cover the positive post and terminals, it's very near grounded metal and should something short it's going to get hot very quickly under that seat and being the post no fusing would cut the power.

I'd recommend trying to find something to at least cover the positive post and terminals, it's very near grounded metal and should something short it's going to get hot very quickly under that seat and being the post no fusing would cut the power.
Will have a look thanks.

@Richard85 Your set up looks good, I also bought the same awning a Berghaus 300 air earlier this year but haven’t been able to do any camping as I broke my leg in April, and what do you think of the awning? we won’t be using the bedroom pod when we can eventually use ours.

John.
It’s great to be honest. I have just moved from having a pickup & roof tent with ARB awning and room to this van / drive away set up. Much prefer this. We won’t be using the room either, takes up far too much space.

Lovin the extremely cute sleepin baby adornment tucked away up there. Where'd you get it? :p :p
It’s brilliant, she loves it - like having her own little cave. The company who make it are called Cabbunk - you buy direct from their site. They do a bunk bed version too if you have 2 kids.

Finally have it back from VW, whole bunch of new expensive bits fitted: DPF, cat and both nox sensors but she runs and runs beautifully!!

Cleaned it all up inside and out and drove it properly today without any engine lights and adblue errors for the first time in ages :cool:

VW tech showed us the old cat, it had completely broken up inside, god knows how that has happened but driving it now feels like it’s gained 50hp!

Really hope this was the last of it and we can now enjoy it again, have a couple of mtb trips to Wales booked and going to Meribel in August.

1F42CA63-448F-4730-B183-07BBD5271DD0.jpeg

Boxing in under the sliding RnR seat to make the space usable for storage. Going to hinge the front and rear panels for access.

IMG_7114.jpeg

Also been keeping an eye on the new solar panel to see how it’s performing. I’m pretty impressed so far. Was getting a 4A charge at 10 o’clock this morning on an overcast day with rain still on the panel. That more than offsets the drain of the fridge. When the sun came out a few minutes later I was getting 14.9A (15A MPPT), still with the rain on the panel and roof down. That’s 207w from a 200w panel - can’t argue with that! The solar put in about 70Ah today and completely recharged the battery for free (well, apart from the cost of all the solar gubbins!).

IMG_7107.png

IMG_7109.jpeg

IMG_7108.jpeg

IMG_7110.png

Fitted a new seal to the driver's side as the old one was rusting through and also fitted my new Ablemail amt 12-2. Took me a while to understand how to programme it but got there eventually, not 100% it is working correctly though. My leisure battery is sat full at 13.8v but my starter is now at 12.2v and the amt is just showing the amber light? On setting 3?! Anyway an obligatory pic:
17180249948765237113580493758455.jpg
And as I post the led changes to green! :rolleyes:

12v USB power supply for Cab area + WIFI feed.

1718033687522.png1718033715165.png

Back