Whats the longest you have lived in your van?

paulfr

VIP Member
T6 Guru
We sold up in Leicester and bought a house in Amble in the North East 5 weeks ago.......was expecting us to sleep in the van for a couple of weeks while the solicitors sorted things.....then the person who was dealing with it went on holiday!Not complaining because we found a great site.......just getting a bit of cabin fever now.......Me,wife,2 kids,2 dogs!This next week will be the 5th week!

Just to say we have an awning and pop top,so it's not that bad......and can get to the beach every day!

Reactions: CAB
We did 10 weeks around Spain/Portugal earlier this year, but at the 5 week point we had 5 nights at a hotel complex to get a break from the van.
Maybe take a little weekend break somewhere for a reset.

We were in between houses for 9 weeks last year after selling up in Yorkshire and moving to Berwick.....we were fortunate to be able to park the motorhome outside our holiday rentals garage and use the rental when it was empty. But we had some great overnight adventures. It was a relief though when we eventually got moved in

I think I’d struggle over 2 week. For long periods i definitely think a Crafter/Sprinter would help massively (which is what I want eventually)

Unfortunately thanks to Brexit we are limited to 90 days in 180, in Europe. Always aim to be back in UK by 86-87 days in case of any hold ups as it is not a “slap on the wrist “ if you over stay.

We've been in France since mid May, so already 3 months in the van. Won't return till end of September. Nice big awning, and of course weather generally better, so really only sleep in the van, everything else ( well not quite ;) ) outside.

Unfortunately thanks to Brexit we are limited to 90 days in 180, in Europe. Always aim to be back in UK by 86-87 days in case of any hold ups as it is not a “slap on the wrist “ if you over stay.
What the penalty for overstaying in EU?

We were told by a relative who lives in Spain that a fairly sizeable fine and potentially a ban on returning for a year or two. It depends on where you have overstayed. We usually get a ferry to Holland and Dutch border control stamp your passport. One time when we were quite close to the 90 days the pleasantries with the border check went on whilst he was rechecking his maths on the number of elapsed days, started to worry if we had got it wrong but all ok, phew.

Reactions: CAB
I believe there is a financial penalty that varies from country to country, but to me the risk of not being allowed re-entry outweighs anything financial.
So have you got a visa? If so was it difficult to get?

Max we’ve done is 3 week btw, hopefully push that to 4 next year and more sometime in the future when we retire if we ever get to retire before the world economy goes tits up and we are all trading tricks to buy food and a few percent of battery charge

Back