Which Fridge?

Ian241

Can anyone tell me why compressor fridges are so expensive ? Recently saw Go outdoors flogging 3 way box’s for c£230 yet cheapest Dometic/Waeco are c£4-500 a small TL20 is £700 ?

For me it was worth it for:

Much lower power consumption.
Fits into kitchen units properly and looks the part.
(Most importantly) Ours has a small ice box so we can have proper G&T’s on the campsite.

Pete

Compressor fridges are vastly more power efficient. The cheaper ones are only really suitable with mains hookup.

Probably a similar reason as to why T6s cost about £30k while a Daewoo Matiz costs about £10k :)
A Daewoo matiz costs £10k! I’d have thought the coppers down the back of the sofa plus a handful of belly button fluff thrown in for good measure would have been sufficient to purchase a spanky new Matiz......
Strangely enough, has anyone ever seen a Daewoo dealership? I haven’t. Wonder where such vehicles actually come from. Can’t really picture someone marching past all of the other dealerships on the Motor Park, saying, nope it’s alright, I know exactly what I want in life, i’m going to get me one of those awesome Matiz’s.:confused:

Obviously not referring to the money you’d find down the back of @Fish ‘s sofa, cos that would pay off the debt of several third world countries ;).

IIRC Daewoo was swallowed up by GM who rebadged them as Chevrolet as a joke to remove the last crumb of credibility Chevy had outside the US

they are very expensive, but........... I guess if you have already committed to buying a T6 with the plan to convert to a camper then I'm guessing again that you kinda knew that your new van was gonna cost ya some more bucks.

I'm converting my van bit by bit, scrimping and scraping the coin together inbetween. Its been 11 months so far and although my van is totally habitable now for long periods of time, I know theres more cash to be spent before its finished. The cost of my fridge is the biggest single purchase yet at £450ish for a sale item CRX50. A little bit of vomit came up as I hit the 'add to basket' button! so I really feel your pain old chap. BUT! we just went away for five days off grid in some nice hot weather, and I knew I had spent my money well when I was eating icecream on a secluded (almost) beach with a very very chilled amber ale on the table! can't beat it chap. You gets whats ya pays for in life! :thumbsup:

Hi,

Looking for recommendations or advice on buying a car fridge, We are taking our van to Spain via Portsmouth this year and since we had a little unexpected bundle of joy in November we are going to have to be able to keep baby food, milk etc chilled, not to mention food and drinks for the older pests. Looking for around 40 litre size and any advice etc would be more than welcome

Theres a few people on here who have used Dometic cool freeze range might be worth a look

Compressor fridges use much less 12v battery power than the thermo electric ones.... but are much more expensive.

I'd be interested too in any recommendations from people who run compressor mobile fridges or other.

We run 2x campingas 12/240v mobile fridge/coolbox which are fine when the engine is running.... but will kill the battery dead in 24hrs.

We have just bought the Dometic CFX35 and are very pleased with it so far. Just off to Italy to give it a good test.
That's great, keep us posted with your thoughts..... I've added it to my basket for now.....

I have a Dometic CRX50 which has a freezer that can be removed for more fridge space if needed.
I run it at level 2 out of 5 which is perfectly adequate, it seems well insulated as isn’t running much as long as the door isn’t left open for ‘food gazing’. I’m running off a leisure battery with solar but I’m guessing it should be adequate overnight on the main battery providing you chill it right down while traveling and limit the door opening to an absolute minimum.

We usually use the 3 pin plug and take into the hotel with us! Im sure I have left them with no problem though- they are only small

Back