Why is it so difficult to get insurance for my T6?

Presume you've tried the usual online comparison sites?
No not yet . I hate the fact once you have got a quote they all phone back pestering for business. I was perfectly happy with Direct Line. Where do they get such a massive increase from?

No not yet . I hate the fact once you have got a quote they all phone back pestering for business. I was perfectly happy with Direct Line. Where do they get such a massive increase from?
On all the popular sites, there's an option to decline call-backs. You might get an email from the top 2 insurers, but that's all.

This really is the easiest way to get quotes for the maximum number of insurers - it's just a shame those sites don't cater very well for campervans!

I think it was on here that someone pointed me to A-Plan just as they became Howden. I found out that even a roof rack and towbar were considered modifications by Quote Me Happy. A-Plan / Howden gave me an almost identical premium without prompting for my T6 Caravelle. Good luck
and a windscreen repair is an accident :rofl:

On all the popular sites, there's an option to decline call-backs. You might get an email from the top 2 insurers, but that's all.
This, and setting up a secondary email address that you use solely for your ‘spam’.

Having an alternate mobile number for this was also what I used to use, but since FlexTel went to paid subscriptions only I’ve lost that option and not found an alternative.

Couple of quotes from posts on the T3 forum:

"Just had my renewal quote from Hastings Direct and it has gone up from £250.72 to £581.77 !!!, I had to look twice just to make sure I did not imagine it so I went to Money Supermarket and can get the same cover with another company for £285, my wife said it is because you are over 70 I told her there was no way I am paying double, robbing bleeders"

"I was reading an article the other day that said car insurance has risen this year on average by about 43%."

£220 Swinton van insurance on comparison site via topcashback which pays back £25 as well for going through via them. 18’ plate panel van Tsi, probably helps being old ( 60 , parked on drive, Mrs Monty on the policy ( no chance she’s driving it though !)).full ncb. Limited mileage to 6k I think as I don’t do many, due to other vehicles. Happy with that price.

Reactions: Bav
£220 Swinton van insurance on comparison site via topcashback which pays back £25 as well for going through via them. 18’ plate panel van Tsi, probably helps being old ( 60 , parked on drive, Mrs Monty on the policy ( no chance she’s driving it though !)).full ncb. Limited mileage to 6k I think as I don’t do many, due to other vehicles. Happy with that price.
Suspect the limited mileage has a big impact on your premium. Guessing you've got multiple vehicles in your household too?

Couple of quotes from posts on the T3 forum:

"Just had my renewal quote from Hastings Direct and it has gone up from £250.72 to £581.77 !!!, I had to look twice just to make sure I did not imagine it so I went to Money Supermarket and can get the same cover with another company for £285, my wife said it is because you are over 70 I told her there was no way I am paying double, robbing bleeders"

"I was reading an article the other day that said car insurance has risen this year on average by about 43%."

This does seem to be the case. The insurance renewal on my Defender went up from £300 last year, to £690.

After the initial shock of a 61% increase for renewal Direct Line, I did a little shopping around and found others to be more or less the same. I went back through the Direct Line quote and found that they had reduced my NCD to 30% as result of a minor claim. Alarm bells ringing as I pay NCD protection and have the max 9+ years - allowing one claim per year. After their adjustment Nett result was a 19% increase which is steep but probably the best I can do. No doubt I’m paying for the claim somewhere along the way!

No doubt I’m paying for the claim somewhere along the way!
Yep, this is the thing NCD is only a discount on the premium.

So your premium went up because you had a claim and are statistically more of a risk.

NCD protection only protects you from loosing discount, it doesn't stop the impact of the claim on your premium.

As I've found the hard way this also applies to Windscreen cover - everyone will assure you it won't impact your NCD (and that's usually true) but 2 claims in a year puts the premium up.. (Important tip if your repaired windscreen fails claim from the repairer not on your own insurance - I didn't and got stung)

As I've found the hard way this also applies to Windscreen cover - everyone will assure you it won't impact your NCD (and that's usually true) but 2 claims in a year puts the premium up.. (Important tip if your repaired windscreen fails claim from the repairer not on your own insurance - I didn't and got stung)
No such thing as a free when it comes to insurance in any sector.

Back