Windscreen Replacement Cost

If you can make it back to the UK, it's definitely worth waiting for the cheaper insurance excess to kick in for the windscreen replacement.
Would have been very much touch and go to get home without it getting significantly worse and didn't fancy testing out the service from the breakdown insurance. :)

What ever you do Insist on OEM replacement.
Think I have finally got the same windscreen back that I started off with. Two Auto windscreen replacements definitely weren't even though fitter insisted they were.

I can't provide justification, but I can confirm that the vast majority of insurers operating in the UK won't load an individual's premium for a single windscreen claim.

Of course, all costs arsing from all insured drivers will be reflected in everyone's premium - after all, the pooling of payments for the sharing of risk is what insurance is - but they won't specifically load an individual premium for a single windscreen claim (in much the same way as a single SP30 conviction wouldn't usually attract a load).
Funnily enough, renewal notice was waiting for me on my return. Gone up by 30%. Not sure if that is par for the course but seems steep increase to me.

Funnily enough, renewal notice was waiting for me on my return. Gone up by 30%. Not sure if that is par for the course but seems steep increase to me.
Steep, yes, but probably par for the course in the current climate and unlikely to be related to your windscreen claim.

Average rise of car insurance premiums in the UK was 34% from the end of 2022 to 2023 and 33% for the first quarter of this year according to the ABI.
While costs to insurers to pay claims is up 23%.
Nobody seems interested in bringing these costs down, and why would they?, it’s a captive market.

Just for fun we can compare our insurance rises here to: Italy (6%), Spain (5%) and France (2%). Certainly in France the Government agreed a deal with insurers to limit rises for at least 2 years, as they did with electricity prices, so it is possible to control these things to an extent.

Steep, yes, but probably par for the course in the current climate and unlikely to be related to your windscreen claim.
Not when compared to the rest of Europe.

What do you mean by ‘current climate’ though? And why is our motor insurance climate so much different to others?

Average rise of car insurance premiums in the UK was 34% from the end of 2022 to 2023 and 33% for the first quarter of this year according to the ABI.
While costs to insurers to pay claims is up 23%.
Nobody seems interested in bringing these costs down, and why would they?, it’s a captive market.

We can thank the EV fires and lack of repairability of some EVs for that. I imagine they offload some of the cost to the rest of us motorists.

We can thank the EV fires and lack of repairability of some EVs for that. I imagine they offload some of the cost to the rest of us motorists.

I wouldn’t fall for that, sounds more like big oil steering the debate. My reason for that tin foil hat moment is - they have EVs in Europe too. In fact a couple of places over there are already live testing the wireless charging in roads (got a hybrid Toyota with a real world range of 68 miles on EV power to do 2000 miles using wireless charging and no fuel from the tank).

I did post this on another insurance chat, Link , and it seems more on point - the article you posted was mainly talking about EV premiums going up. Dodgy repairs and incident management consultants charging ten times over the odds will impact all claims - EV or ICE. Something needs to change here. If France can limit rises (and others are only seeing inflationary increases) why can’t we?

Bav is apparently the all seeing oracle on insurance though, inside knowledge I think, hence he must know what the ‘current climate’ is (other than a phrase wheeled out when someone wants to fleece us. I’m sure we’re both totally wrong.

I wouldn’t fall for that, sounds more like big oil steering the debate. My reason for that tin foil hat moment is - they have EVs in Europe too. In fact a couple of places over there are already live testing the wireless charging in roads (got a hybrid Toyota with a real world range of 68 miles on EV power to do 2000 miles using wireless charging and no fuel from the tank).

I did post this on another insurance chat, Link , and it seems more on point - the article you posted was mainly talking about EV premiums going up. Dodgy repairs and incident management consultants charging ten times over the odds will impact all claims - EV or ICE. Something needs to change here. If France can limit rises (and others are only seeing inflationary increases) why can’t we?

Bav is apparently the all seeing oracle on insurance though, inside knowledge I think, hence he must know what the ‘current climate’ is (other than a phrase wheeled out when someone wants to fleece us. I’m sure we’re both totally wrong.

It's definitely a fact that EVs are less repairable. They've been closed off from repair by third parties on the grounds of safety. There was a US regulation which said access to vehicle diagnostics must be provided to third parties, but this only covered the OBD port and cables. They've moved to wireless systems now which is a loophole to get around the law. Have you not been following the same sort of anti-consumer practices in farming such as those from John Deere?

It's definitely a fact that EVs are less repairable
It’s definitely a fact that EVs are also on the roads of France (where insurance premiums rose just 2%, not 33%) and Spain, and Italy. I also know collisions happen on their roads too.

So while EVs are trickier to repair at the moment, while technicians are fewer in that field, parts are more scarce and there are different risks in terms of the fuel, you’re not explaining why we see increase of 33% in the UK and other countries in the same situation (in terms of EV vs ICE) see less than 6%.

It’s definitely a fact that EVs are also on the roads of France (where insurance premiums rose just 2%, not 33%) and Spain, and Italy. I also know collisions happen on their roads too.

So while EVs are trickier to repair at the moment, while technicians are fewer in that field, parts are more scarce and there are different risks in terms of the fuel, you’re not explaining why we see increase of 33% in the UK and other countries in the same situation (in terms of EV vs ICE) see less than 6%.

France is a heavily regulated country. But the fact remains every industry source says 50% higher costs in repair, longer wait times.

And why is our motor insurance climate so much different to others?
Import duties and tariffs for parts since Brexit, not much manufactured in the UK now?

If France can limit rises (and others are only seeing inflationary increases) why can’t we?
The current UK government won’t interfere or add regulation to business, too many donors to upset. Is the insurance industry not hand in hand with the finance industry, one of the few areas where the UK makes substantial profits?

These nations don’t repair a car every time they have a knock, most of their cars are trashed. A philosophy I use with my 23 year old A4, It’s a slave to me not the other way around.
Too many worriers in the UK, what will the neighbours think if we have a scratched bumper!!!!!!

Begs the question, at what point do you stop worrying about dinks, scratches and trim falling off on your van or car. I know for me, when my car is 5 years old.....I'm not that bothered ;)

France is a heavily regulated country. But the fact remains every industry source says 50% higher costs in repair, longer wait times.
Still, it clearly works and is clearly possible. I’d much prefer a 2% increase to a 33% one for the exact same thing. Remember it’s not just France. Not every country is well regulated. Spain, Italy…
Also, in the UK it’s not just a 50% higher repair cost, it’s way more than that.

The article I linked to has many examples fromICE cars - an Audi A3 bumper repair that should have been £1500 but the insurance paid £15,000 in total including 11 days car hire at £380 a day. And while costs of repairs rose (due to price gouging it would appear) the cost of premiums rose an additional 10-11% on top of that rise.

Last edited:
Never say never, but a single windscreen claim in a year shouldn't impact your premium.
my £20 (my contribution) Autoglass repair affected my premium, apparently this is a claim...

Also AG man said the screens they put in are total rubbish when compared to the OEM and half the thickness, he said try to avoid at all costs

Also AG man said the screens they put in are total rubbish when compared to the OEM and half the thickness, he said try to avoid at all costs
Yeah, I had to push to get an OEM replacement.

my £20 (my contribution) Autoglass repair affected my premium, apparently this is a claim...
I had a screen in my Audi S4 convertible in my first year with Saga (so I know that’s 5 years ago). Big job, interior trim off, rivets drilled for metal exterior trim etc. Took half a day for the auto glass guy. Must have cost a fortune. Anyway, my premium has remained similar at around £230 pa and has just gone down this year to £220. So in 5 years I’ve probably still not paid for the windscreen. So not all companies penalise a screen claim.

Still, it clearly works and is clearly possible. I’d much prefer a 2% increase to a 33% one for the exact same thing. Remember it’s not just France. Not every country is well regulated. Spain, Italy…
Also, in the UK it’s not just a 50% higher repair cost, it’s way more than that.

The article I linked to has many examples fromICE cars - an Audi A3 bumper repair that should have been £1500 but the insurance paid £15,000 in total including 11 days car hire at £380 a day. And while costs of repairs rose (due to price gouging it would appear) the cost of premiums rose an additional 10-11% on top of that rise.
I genuinely can’t understand why the insurance companies have such a poor grip on these ridiculously inflated costs from these claim management companies. We are paying for it, but what other business model exercises so little control over it’s direct costs?

I had a screen in my Audi S4 convertible in my first year with Saga (so I know that’s 5 years ago). Big job, interior trim off, rivets drilled for metal exterior trim etc. Took half a day for the auto glass guy. Must have cost a fortune. Anyway, my premium has remained similar at around £230 pa and has just gone down this year to £220. So in 5 years I’ve probably still not paid for the windscreen. So not all companies penalise a screen claim.

I genuinely can’t understand why the insurance companies have such a poor grip on these ridiculously inflated costs from these claim management companies. We are paying for it, but what other business model exercises so little control over it’s direct costs?
They know they’re being ripped off - £380 per day for a hire car, but when we a forced to pay whatever they just don’t care. Govt. don’t care either as no doubt there is tax on all these overinflated bills. Plus, there were parties to go to, suitcases full of wine etc.

Back