yellow engine light on

Grab yourself an OBD device of some sort off of the amazon - Carista is relatively cheap with a months free subscriptions to make any changes or cancel faults (to see if they recur). I bought a cheap OBD reader for £10 from aldi 2yrs ago that'll identify and cancel faults. Carista is okay for what it can do (during the free subscription period) but I probably won't use the Carista again now that The free period has passed.

Cheers , just ordered one on Amazon, I live in Devon and I am at present in Oxford, and I have to drive down there today, checked oil and water al ok

yeah if it turns red then pull over and call the AA - probably just an exhaust sensor or something

You could also ask if anyone on here is close by with an OBD for a quick diagnostic

I think I am right in saying that the 'engine' light on a Transporter isnt actually indicating an engine fault, but as described above, more likely an exhaust gas/emissions problem (egr/dpf). The light to worry about is the curly wurly light - that is the engine fault one. Bizarre really. As mentioned above, get yourself an OBD reader. I got OBDeleven and I can read the faults . I often get 'exhaust gas insufficient detected' whihc I understand to mean the egr valve isnt opening very far/if at all. I just run the OBD app on my phone and clear the fault.

No doubt someone will shout up if I am wrong to be not too conerned about the 'engine' light being on

Any warning light should be investigated I would have thought.
Maybe ok to reset a yellow one and see if it comes back - but then if it does - time to get it looked at before it goes red or causes larger problems.
Doningtonphil -What error code do you have?

No doubt someone will shout up if I am wrong to be not too conerned about the 'engine' light being on
If you ignore the yellow ones eventually you’ll get a red one and that’s expensive and inconvienient.

Any warning light should be investigated I would have thought.
Maybe ok to reset a yellow one and see if it comes back - but then if it does - time to get it looked at before it goes red or causes larger problems.
Doningtonphil -What error code do you have?
P040100. Staus: Intermittent

I have checked the egr pipes as best I can for leaks, no smell, nothing obvious.

Am I right in thinking this could be the valve not opening sufficiently?

If physically blocking/blanking the EGR is a 'good' thing, then why would an insufficiently low flow of egr gas be a bad thing?

What can I do with my OBDeleven to check things like valve opening position etc? Anything else that would indicate that problems elsewhere are being casued? (I see there are wizards on here that can transalte a download of all sorts of 'jibber jabber' into a meaninful diagnosois of what's going on in the engine.)

P040100. Staus: Intermittent

I have checked the egr pipes as best I can for leaks, no smell, nothing obvious.

Am I right in thinking this could be the valve not opening sufficiently?

If physically blocking/blanking the EGR is a 'good' thing, then why would an insufficiently low flow of egr gas be a bad thing?

What can I do with my OBDeleven to check things like valve opening position etc? Anything else that would indicate that problems elsewhere are being casued? (I see there are wizards on here that can transalte a download of all sorts of 'jibber jabber' into a meaninful diagnosois of what's going on in the engine.)

The search function in the top right corner of your screen is your friend;

Back