150ps DSG struggling up hills

charlie328

Hi, just picked up a 2016 T6 Shuttle with the above engine/gearbox and on the way home ( all seats fitted but just me in the van) I was quite surprised to find the van struggling up hills on the motorway and having to downshift to keep at 60-70. Also seems to be a flat acceleration spot around 20-30mph when pulling away.
Is this normal? I went for this engine due to the negativity around bi-turbos but is it generally an underpowered combination with the DSG box?
Or is it something we have to get used to?
Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum Charlie.

That doesn't sound normal mate. For comparison I have a 2023 150 DSG camper and, even when fully loaded, it can easily maintain/exceed 70mph up Windy Hill, which is one of the longest and steepest hills on the UK motorway network (M62 as it crosses the Pennines).

Hopefully other, more mechanically-minded forum members will be along soon to offer advice and possible diagnoses/remedies. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bav, appreciate the reply. Going to get a code reader on it in the first instance but I defo have ‘new car blues’.

• Sad
Reactions: Bav
Hi, just picked up a 2016 T6 Shuttle with the above engine/gearbox and on the way home ( all seats fitted but just me in the van) I was quite surprised to find the van struggling up hills on the motorway and having to downshift to keep at 60-70. Also seems to be a flat acceleration spot around 20-30mph when pulling away.
Is this normal? I went for this engine due to the negativity around bi-turbos but is it generally an underpowered combination with the DSG box?
Or is it something we have to get used to?
Thanks in advance.
Did it feel the same on the test drive?

Yep, thinking on it, it felt sluggish at times but thought it was maybe because I wasn’t used to a van but didn't go on a motorway at that point.
Then at the dealership got bogged down in other stuff which they rectified but overlooked this.
Wasnt till the journey home where I really noticed it.

Yep, thinking on it, it felt sluggish at times but thought it was maybe because I wasn’t used to a van but didn't go on a motorway at that point.
Then at the dealership got bogged down in other stuff which they rectified but overlooked this.
Wasnt till the journey home where I really noticed it.
Don’t take this the wrong way, but have you driven an auto/DSG before? When you’re going up hill & it feels sluggish, is it changing down? Did you try kicking it down? There is a natural resistance about 2/3 of the way down the accelerator travel, if you push through this, the gearbox should drop a gear & take off.

I just dont expect to be kicking down a gear to keep up with normal traffic?
I also have 2 other cars with dsg that never come out of seventh on motorways.
Also that flat accel out of junctions between about 20-40

I also have 2 other cars with dsg that never come out of seventh on motorways.
It's having to push much more air out of the way than a car, even more so at higher speeds, so will be working harder. That's not to say yours is right tho'. It needs a scan for code first off.

yes, i get that. think thats why i gave it the benefit of the doubt initially but now thinking, due to the comparison given earlier by Bav, that i am lacking power which is probably turbo related?
i have a Carista coming tomorrow so can get the codes off her hopefully.

Hello, thought I would report back in the hope that somebody has any experience similar to this?
Just plugged Carista in and the scan shows 0 faults across all the ECU’s. Had a look at the DPF and says it is above the limit for a manual regen with a soot level of 60g.
Do you think we have the culprit? Although when does this put an engine light on? Would have thought if that dirty it would have told me?
Thanks for your help

Please post "Detailed ECU info"-report (under Carista Service menu).
Soot level 60 g inhibits DPF regeneration - the DPF needs to be replaced (or cleaned). Also ECU defnitely should report that as fault. Was there any mention about engine remap?
Is the tailpipe sooty?

any experience similar to this?

Hello, thought I would report back in the hope that somebody has any experience similar to this?
Just plugged Carista in and the scan shows 0 faults across all the ECU’s. Had a look at the DPF and says it is above the limit for a manual regen with a soot level of 60g.
Do you think we have the culprit? Although when does this put an engine light on? Would have thought if that dirty it would have told me?
Thanks for your help
The first thing I’d try is a vigorous Italian Tune up.

Sounds like there is an issue. A 150ps Shuttle empty should have no issues going uphill. I’d get it code read in the first instance.

However a DSG and engine tune, once you find it’s healthy, will really bring it alive ;-)

Hello, so checked again and no faults or warnings at all. Have attached the detailed engine report.
No soot in the tailpipe. Is this because its all stuck back up at the dpf?
Has anyone used these DPF cleaning firms that go through the sensor port yo clean instead of taking it out? Is it any good? Would have thought it needs a good old jetwash?

IMG_7491.png

Back