- 204ps Bi-Turbo CXEB T6 Engine & Turbo problems -

2016 Caravelle Gen6. CXEB engine. Way out of any warranty. I can see some oil around the turbo under the hood is this a sign or am I grasping at straws; refusing to accept the inevitable
Got some pics of the oil by turbo? (For future reference?)

Apparently the DPF will catch most of the leaking oil...so you won't see any at the tail pipe...
Untill the DPF gets overwhelmed and clogs.... At that point you start getting warning lights and poor running from a knackered dpf.

So might be worth a paid oil test with WV. If your a fail and a TPI case, VW may offer a good will buy it's not likely to be more than 50/50.

Even if you go to Dark side, and it's block wear, there fix is a new replacement engine anyway. (From vw as exchange)

Or if it's turbo, then it's turbo,cat,dpf. Which maybe cheaper from DS as they us the OEM non VW labeled turbo.

But until the oil consumption test is done, and possible compression test and a boroscope the inlet, exhaust and turbo you are just guessing.

Cheers mate. Out at moment but will try and get some pics uploaded over weekend. According to DPFMonitor Ash Levels are currently ~50% in DPF. Had EGR swapped under warranty early on, at about 48k miles

Hello All, We are just about to collect a 2016 204 bitdi CXEB from main dealer VW. It's done 29k and has full service history.

VW have given us the option of warranty, given what I'm reading is this wise to accept?

Given the issues these appear to be prone to will they be covered on said VW warranty?

We were thinking of EGR,DPF, Ad blue delete in the future but that seems to not stop the engine wear?

TIA for the replies!

Hello All, We are just about to collect a 2016 204 bitdi CXEB from main dealer VW. It's done 29k and has full service history.

VW have given us the option of warranty, given what I'm reading is this wise to accept?

Given the issues these appear to be prone to will they be covered on said VW warranty?

We were thinking of EGR,DPF, Ad blue delete in the future but that seems to not stop the engine wear?

TIA for the replies!
I assume that low mileage from a main dealer is top dollar$ price.
Is it too late to demand an oil consumption test, milllers oil analysis and cylinder compression test done by them prior to handing over the money??
Tell them if tests prove acceptable then you can conclude purchase, and you get to sleep at night.
If they refuse you may be entering the rabbit hole....

I assume that low mileage from a main dealer is top dollar$ price.
Is it too late to demand an oil consumption test, milllers oil analysis and cylinder compression test done by them prior to handing over the money??
Tell them if tests prove acceptable then you can conclude purchase, and you get to sleep at night.
If they refuse you may be entering the rabbit hole....
Thanks for reply, I've pushed this across to VW. What would be an acceptable range for both the tests? I'll post results in here as i've made dealer aware i won't be collecting and paying for the van should this not be acceptable.

Having had a few turbos I’ve always allowed the turbo to calm down after a fast run, eg pulling into motorway services. With stop/start, I turn it off or restart the engine if I forget and let the turbo spool down for a few minutes.

Never understood this detrimental aspect of stop start - the data / running conditions could be monitored to stop it kicking in.

Fingers crossed @Dellmassive
I saw an article the other day that said idling after fast runs wasn’t necessary these days. It was from a dodgy source - the Telegraph, and I only read it out of interest, not assuming it would be good guidance.

Their view was that cool down (running at idle for a couple of mins) was a thing when turbos were only oil cooled but for modern cars they are cooled by both the lubricating oil and the water system. It suggested carbonisation onto the turbo was no longer an issue.

For the extra 54 hp over a 150 that £15/20k wallet changing amount hanging over your head is a ridiculous waste of money.
Yes agee. Starting to wish I just sourced a 150hp now. Mine is not showing any issues yet but it is very worrying reading all this about the VW engines and in particular the CXEB issues now. I have the all in 2 year extended warranty but that runs out in Jan 2026. l'd estimate barely 56k on my clock by then!

Might convert mine to pedal power! :laugh:

If it’s from VWVC won’t it come with 12 month all component warranty and VW roadside assistance? So what warranty are they trying to sell you?

I saw an article the other day that said idling after fast runs wasn’t necessary these days. It was from a dodgy source - the Telegraph, and I only read it out of interest, not assuming it would be good guidance.

Their view was that cool down (running at idle for a couple of mins) was a thing when turbos were only oil cooled but for modern cars they are cooled by both the lubricating oil and the water system. It suggested carbonisation onto the turbo was no longer an issue.
That's total ballz.

The turbo isn't cooled at all.

It just has one oil bearing....or two is BiTurbo.

It's the charged superheated air that is water (or air cooled).

The turbo is still a delicate highly engineered part.

But it's a good point...that "well what about the stop/start system"....which shuts a hot engine down.

I can only assume that the stop/start is good for the environment and pollution, but not so great at the longevity of your Turbo.

If it’s from VWVC won’t it come with 12 month all component warranty and VW roadside assistance? So what warranty are they trying to sell you?
It's a 6 month warranty we are being told, 2016 Van so only qualifies for 6 months. I'm awaiting the results of test before pushing for warranty extension.

Aah ok. Just thought they were trying to sell you an additional warranty when they should be providing the VW one free.

It's a 6 month warranty we are being told, 2016 Van so only qualifies for 6 months. I'm awaiting the results of test before pushing for warranty extension.
I very much doubt they will do a compression test on the engine, as you need to strip the top half down. ( to get to the Glowpugs and do the compression test. . . and risk a plug getting stuck and snapping)

They wont do that..... All they may do, is offer you an extended warranty to give you some piece of mind . maybe extend the 6mth offered to 12mnths?

apart from that you have the VW ALL-IN package.. . . but that's for upto 6yrs old.

Last edited:
Which is why my S/S is permanently set to 'off' ;)
Mine too. . . .

on the M25 roundabout as we speak. lol.

and normally have the "Oil Temp" displayed . . . always in the 90-105c range.

20240828_161637.jpg

Last edited:

TIA for the replies!
Honestly, if that was me, not a chance I'd touch an early T6 with the 204 BiTdi engine. Low miles might also indicate it's been used for short runs, which aren't good for the engines. It might have been used as a second car and only done 4 trips a year on holiday, but you can't know that really.

The ONLY way I'd touch a 204/199 BiTdi would be in a 2022/23/24 T6.1 - ie the newest possible.

a 2016 204 BiTdi is just a ticking time bomb. The potential of bankrupting repair bills is too great.

Well just read this and that's it I'm selling up. So stressed out now with everything above to come. Anyone want a T6?
whats your MY date and millage now?

and most important your oil consumption between services, and whats the service interval?

whats your MY date and millage now?

and most important your oil consumption between services, and whats the service interval?

2017. Just about to hit 30k miles. Oil change every year. Consumption very low. Only do about 5k per year but nearly all long runs.

Back