- 204ps Bi-Turbo CXEB T6 Engine & Turbo problems -

Oh dear. I have a 2017 CXEB - hope I don't join this group although I recently had this error;

16409 [0x004019]
P00AF00: Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control "A" Module, Performance
Status bits: 1
Priority: 2
Frequency: 1
Unlearning index: 255
Odometer: 126945 km
Date, time: 2012.01.28 01:10:33
Engine RPM: 1855 rpm
Calculated engine load value: 51.76 %
Vehicle speed: 103 km/h
Engine coolant temperature: 90 ℃
Engine oil temperature: 23 ℃
Barometric pressure: 101 kPa
Klemme 30 voltage: 14
Paramteric values: 20 96 28 44 A5 02 05 44 BA 0F AA 44 B9 FF AE 44 8D 0B A9 44 D0 07 D6
Status: Pending, Test failed since last DTC clear, Test not completed during this operation cycle

Sorry to hear of your issues guys and keeping my fingers crossed for you Dellmassive.

Knowing about some of these issues, I have been really concerned since purchasing my CXEB EU6 204 BiTurbo 4Motion 2018 last December, now on 41,700mls
It went into RR yesterday for EGR blank/delete, DPF delete, Ad Blue delete. I am hoping this may save me some of these awful issues further down the road. I am low mileage user but will be monitoring the oil consumption carefully now and keeping a spreadsheet. At present I am not aware of any issues but will get an Oil Analysis done next few months and then a Compression Test. Will update with results.

I doubt any of those things will help prevent the cxeb from bore and piston wear, or turbo failure...

The previous cfca engine did however have EGR cooler problems pre revision D.

What is the cause of the bore /piston wear and turbo failure? Is it oil contamination leading to poor insufficient quality of oil and the fact these engines run too hot due to poor thermal design ?

These could all be related to DPF and EGR.... so I've taken a gamble... I will also be changing my oil every 6-8k miles.

We need to try something! Only time will tell I suppose!

other 204ps members unaffected:

this could be due to the 2019 revisions? - (possibly the 2016-2018 range as there is a mention that the CXEB Block/Pistons etc was revised in 2019)

@Bigsidavies 2017 (135k miles so far)
@VanDamMan
@BoroBoy
@
@
@

Del, add me to the lucky list.

2017 CXEB, 50K miles. Oil changes every 8-10k. Revo remap. Lots of mechanical sympathy, gentle warm up and turbo cool down. Often driven hard and/or towing. DPF & EGR delete. Added 1.5 tins of Liqui Moly Ceratec on last oil change after reading mentions on here. Negligible oil consumption.

Del, add me to the lucky list.

2017 CXEB, 50K miles. Oil changes every 8-10k. Revo remap. Lots of mechanical sympathy, gentle warm up and turbo cool down. Often driven hard and/or towing. DPF & EGR delete. Added 1.5 tins of Liqui Moly Ceratec on last oil change after reading mentions on here. Negligible oil consumption.
Do you think the Ceratec made any noticeable difference to noise or fuel economy? I might put some in after my service next week.

Sorry to hear of your issues guys and keeping my fingers crossed for you Dellmassive.

Knowing about some of these issues, I have been really concerned since purchasing my CXEB EU6 204 BiTurbo 4Motion 2018 last December, now on 41,700mls
It went into RR yesterday for EGR blank/delete, DPF delete, Ad Blue delete. I am hoping this may save me some of these awful issues further down the road. I am low mileage user but will be monitoring the oil consumption carefully now and keeping a spreadsheet. At present I am not aware of any issues but will get an Oil Analysis done next few months and then a Compression Test. Will update with results.
What are your first impressions.

Particularly around anything that can be related to DPF, smoke, sound etc?

I can't see how doing this can't help.

I’m at about 1L every 1k, already had consumption test done by VW which it passed, it’ll be getting traded back in to them for a 150 soon

Do you think the Ceratec made any noticeable difference to noise or fuel economy? I might put some in after my service next week.
Still not sure. The engine is always quieter after an oil change, so not sure how much may be due to the Ceratec and how much due just to new oil. At £20 a can, I thought I'd give it a try. Only did it a week ago. I'm still impressed as to how smooth the CXEB is anyway, I guess due to the balancer shafts.

I had a high iron reading on the oil analysis after the last oil change, so changed this after 15 months but only 2400 miles. Waiting for oil analysis back on this latest oil at the moment.

dirty oil - Copy.jpg

I think the biggest thing that does for the turbos is the start stop function, or heat soak after turning off the engine causing cabonising of deposits in the oil onto super hot parts, like turbo bearings.

All oils only degrade from heat or contamination, synthetics less than ever these days. It's the contamination in the oil that bakes onto super hot parts like turbos. As well as a gentle warm up, I always let engines idle for quite a few seconds after any drive before turning off too. Just allows them to spool down if still spinning fast and gets some more residual heat out of the thing (and into the oil :).

I use Quantum Longlife III 5W-30, the same as the main dealers, and it's this black after just 2400 miles.

Dealer intervals of 20k miles is nuts on modern hot engines. Google "LSPI" for pages of engine damage from wrong/dirty oil on modern high performance petrol engines for some interesting bedtime reading.

Having had a few turbos I’ve always allowed the turbo to calm down after a fast run, eg pulling into motorway services. With stop/start, I turn it off or restart the engine if I forget and let the turbo spool down for a few minutes.

Never understood this detrimental aspect of stop start - the data / running conditions could be monitored to stop it kicking in.

Fingers crossed @Dellmassive

@Dellmassive
I've also had turbo issues, started squealing and then dropped all power - at only 50K miles (which I think is quite low for turbo failure! :eek:)
204 CXEB MY17(67)
Oil analysis by Millers Oils seemed to indicate nothing too serious, but the oil hadn't been in there for long so not conclusive.
Had a new turbo, EGR blanked, DPF removed, mapped to delete DPF, EGR, AdBlue and Stage 1 boost. Cost a pretty packet but I believe I've caught it before anything more serious has happened. I'll be getting another oil analysis done before too long to see if there's anything bad happening. Currently running on Millers Oils EE Performance C3 5w-30 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil.
Drives like a dream...
Thanks @Paynewright for the tips on Stop/Start. Do you know if this can be mapped out, or if you can alter it via long codes with OBDeleven?

I must admit @VanDamMan has been an advocate of the the gental warm up, switch off stop/start and allow to over run after a drive to allow things to settle.

Myself, with 50/50 split city/motorway driving i find myself 99% of the time switching the SS off..... So I now that is not a contribution factor.

Plus I always alow a gental warm up and cool down after a drive, and am always considerate of the engine and mechanicals. I dont tow or live in the Welsh valleys.

So tbh the van gets a fairy easy life.

Regular and full service only from VW and full warranty cover from day one.

Now I'm at 80k miles for 2018 6yr old van.

So I'm wasnt expecting any engine problems till at least 150k miles.

So makes sense that there is something else going on here.

And I'm glad VW had fessed up with the TPI for a known issue...from the new T6 engine in 2016 till the revision in 2019... That tells me that they was onto this right away. And fixed the problem in 2019.

But for us in the 2016-2019 age bracket we need to keep a close eye on things.... I'm just thankful we have, and have had the full warranty.from day one.

I can't imagine how upsetting it must be for people to be told by vw they need a new £20k engine... And even if they offered good will 50/50 it's still a big chunk of cash for a 6yr old van.

I must admit @VanDamMan has been an advocate of the the gental warm up, switch off stop/start and allow to over run after a drive to allow things to settle.

Myself, with 50/50 split city/motorway driving i find myself 99% of the time switching the SS off..... So I now that is not a contribution factor.

Plus I always alow a gental warm up and cool down after a drive, and am always considerate of the engine and mechanicals. I dont tow or live in the Welsh valleys.

So tbh the van gets a fairy easy life.

Regular and full service only from VW and full warranty cover from day one.

Now I'm at 80k miles for 2018 6yr old van.

So I'm wasnt expecting any engine problems till at least 150k miles.

So makes sense that there is something else going on here.

And I'm glad VW had fessed up with the TPI for a known issue...from the new T6 engine in 2016 till the revision in 2019... That tells me that they was onto this right away. And fixed the problem in 2019.

But for us in the 2016-2019 age bracket we need to keep a close eye on things.... I'm just thankful we have, and have had the full warranty.from day one.

I can't imagine how upsetting it must be for people to be told by vw they need a new £20k engine... And even if they offered good will 50/50 it's still a big chunk of cash for a 6yr old van.
Is this TPI any use to those that no longer have extended warranty through VW? Seems there’s an admittance there but they’ll still happily take your cash

Is this TPI any use to those that no longer have extended warranty through VW? Seems there’s an admittance there but they’ll still happily take your cash
not sure. . .

if you was out of warranty, then you could push for "good will"

but dont know, we need to find out from ppl who are in that situation.

I think I’m heading the same way…started using about 800ml per 1000miles at moment. Van starting to feel sluggish - got a ‘dead spot’ around 1200rpm. Tried running some injector cleaner through but not sorted dead spot. Think I’ve prob got a few problems going on - high oil usage (engine or turbo) and possibly DMF.

Caravelle 2.0 204 BiTDI standard no remap etc. 93500miles.

Unsure where to go next - might reach out to Darkside Developments and let them have it to diagnose what’s wrong etc. Any pointers of what I could check myself or is this a case of let a garage have it …?

I think I’m heading the same way…started using about 800ml per 1000miles at moment. Van starting to feel sluggish - got a ‘dead spot’ around 1200rpm. Tried running some injector cleaner through but not sorted dead spot. Think I’ve prob got a few problems going on - high oil usage (engine or turbo) and possibly DMF.

Caravelle 2.0 204 BiTDI standard no remap etc. 93500miles.

Unsure where to go next - might reach out to Darkside Developments and let them have it to diagnose what’s wrong etc. Any pointers of what I could check myself or is this a case of let a garage have it …?
What year is yours?

In the date range? 2016 to 2019?

And your CXEB engine code?

Any warranty?.... Ie all in?

You can take to VW and ask them to do the TPI oil test that I'm going through ATM.

You can go all-in warranty at any time upto 6yrs old at start.

But... If you are cxeb and 2016-2019 date range, plus about the 80k mile range and using more than 0.5L oil per 620miles then you could be a classic case of the TPI engine worn bores.

Or possible leaky turbo charger. (Which is not part of that TPI)

2016 Caravelle Gen6. CXEB engine. Way out of any warranty. I can see some oil around the turbo under the hood is this a sign or am I grasping at straws; refusing to accept the inevitable

Back