ACC Error

Hmmm.... something dislodged in/around steering wheel - clockspring?

I'll take the wheel off and check .... let you know later ....

Had the wheel off checked all the connections and wires where modified from Stalk to MFSW and nothing out of place .. rescanned and cleared faults but everything is the same as before i..e no MFSW operations and Airbag Amber Light on / Engine Amber has gone for now but looks like the ESP / ESC amber light is on !

The only thing I was a bit iffy on was the clock spring internal tape connector and location of the centering plug with visible tape in the window... I could not tell directly as I nver opened the clock spring mechanism but there may have been some ruffling up of the tape what is seen from the window... Have other users had any issues with the clock spring internals where not correctly installed / positioned when the wheel is put back on the spigot....

I'm completely lost as to the next stage of fault finding here .. any suggestions welcome ...

Regards

Reactions: mmi
Been looking on U Tube for issues with the clock spring … similar type symptoms with loss of MFSW / Airbag Light / No Horn Operation on VW Group cars ALL seem to be around broken ribbon …

I have left the airbag off so will remove the wheel again tomorrow and checkout the squib and ribbon to see if this is the issue…will report back when investigated ..

Found issue inside Airbag Squib .. see photos attached .. ordered replacement as not fixable with kinks in the ribbon and broken off from plug pins .. Squib has ESP Angle Sensor .. costs around £200 .. Not risking cheaper China parts for this .. as all the hassle it causes .. Will update again when new part fitted .. 9762B718-82F7-4479-934C-E6EA00F15501.jpegADBE0307-6ABC-4536-84DE-6C9088F14D8D.jpeg999C7502-93A3-478B-A0D6-04471178346F.jpeg851A662B-8DE8-414D-9BAF-2EAEBA8C5D19.jpeg851A662B-8DE8-414D-9BAF-2EAEBA8C5D19.jpeg5B28112C-0642-4EA5-9E46-1E8703E434C0.jpeg

759A6C06-0382-4910-95D9-C418ECD37FCD.jpeg

C904A21A-BB1B-4DAB-8B4A-396B2AFE6E31.jpeg

Resolution Update ***

Replaced Squib with new pattern part from Autodoc £152.00 .. expensive cost for small part … due to the part contains steering wheel sensing circuit board … inputs to ESP ABS systems.

Airbag light and Engine light extinguished and All wheel functions and CCS buttons now functioning … but the ESP amber warning light was still on due to steering angle sensor missing calibration.
94C64FB5-77AC-4FE4-AE01-2A84BB5C8517.png
Various YouTube VW Squib / Steering Angle calibration videos show more or less how to calibrate the wheel steering angle sensing ( I noticed the NEW Squib module serial number etc.. as replaced was auto recognized by VCDS / Van BCM as I did not need to provide any new coding here ) but in my case I had to perform wheel turning full left and full right x 2 whilst in 03 Module ABS calibration for steering angle sensing … ( you need to enter security number before accessing the drop down list for this calibration ) —— 3 off amber lights then flashed on-off .. VCDS ABS steering Angle Sensing done .. accepted the ‘calibration’ .. switched ignition off and then back on … no ESP amber light.

If anyone needs any talk through of this procedure whenever they are doing this job .. contact me direct for a talk through to save any frustrations etc… as I wasted some time wondering where to look within VCDS for the wheel steering alignment calibration as this is not obvious when your van does not have a 44 Module steering wheel sensing ‘faceplate’ fitted as suggested on YouTube videos for Passats , Tiguans etc… it won’t be in the menu in VCDS as this was a sub function of 03 module ABS on my van.

Regards

Ian M

Back