With std steel 17" wheels and big bouncy tyres, is it safe to go 15 front and 20 rear with spacers and is there a certain make that are the go to/best/recommended?

I am thinking 225 or 235/65 17's Falken Wild thing's or Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T G015

I'm not sure how the standard steels compare to the Fuel Zephyr 's with respect to width and offset. However with 235/65/17 Falken Wildpeak on the Zephyr's (8.5J ET 34) you wouldn't want any spacers on the front as they're on the limit as is. If the tread profile was squarer it might even be an issue.
Rears could probably go 10 or 15 mm without too much fuss.

Edit. I'm sure that someone here has the same package with rear spacers.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how the standard steels compare to the Fuel Zephyr 's with respect to width and offset. However with 235/65/17 Falken Wildpeak on the Zephyr's (8.5J ET 34) you wouldn't want any spacers on the front as they're on the limit as is. If the tread profile was squarer it might even be an issue.
Rears could probably go 10 or 15 mm without too much fuss.
I was thinking something similar

Hi, just looking at your tyre profile, that’s pretty much perfect to me, the right amount of sidewall and sits really well on the wheel.
What width are the wheels please,

Thanks
They're about 10 inch ( a quick measure tape poked in) they've been on a fair bit of time now.

In that time I've upped the psi to 45 all round and dropped all plans to lower. I've been in a lot of places where the extra height was appreciated.

They're a great tyre, no complaints whatsoever and they look great. I will improve the suspension when required.

I don't think they are noisy and the grip in mud has been a godsend.

They're about 10 inch ( a quick measure tape poked in) they've been on a fair bit of time now.

In that time I've upped the psi to 45 all round and dropped all plans to lower. I've been in a lot of places where the extra height was appreciated.

They're a great tyre, no complaints whatsoever and they look great. I will improve the suspension when required.

I don't think they are noisy and the grip in mud has been a godsend.
Officially theyre 8.5 inch, but I'm getting 10 every time. Maybe my tape measures wonky, but no issues driving.

Reactions: C4S
Thanks, I’ve ordered both wheels and tyres, not the wheels you have, I’ve gone 8X17, but have ordered the same tyres,

Thanks for the reply,

Officially theyre 8.5 inch, but I'm getting 10 every time. Maybe my tape measures wonky, but no issues driving.
The width quoted for rims is the gap between the inside edge of the flanges where the tyre sits rather than the full outer width of the rim. Essentially it's the dimension required when sizing up the tyre. Depending on the application, rims can be much wider than their quoted width. Items such as bash rings etc. will certainly add width without changing the "size".

With std steel 17" wheels and big bouncy tyres, is it safe to go 15 front and 20 rear with spacers and is there a certain make that are the go to/best/recommended?

I am thinking 225 or 235/65 17's Falken Wild thing's or Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T G015
I've been running VW Devonports with 235/65/17 Yoko Geolanders with 20mm front and 25mm rear spacers at std ride height without issue for 6months if it helps

So vw steel wheels, but now i am thinking 18” Amarok instead of 17” Transporter wheels. Whats the positives negatives of 18’s instead of 17’s?

What are these tyres like to live with? I am looking at reviews of these, Yokohama GEOLANDAR G015, and Falken wildpeak at3's. Decisions decisions....
Well, we're happy with them. As we have a Camper conversion, there is plenty of sound insolation all round, which might explain why we have very little noise. Wouldn't have a different setup, as they seem to also look the part.

I've recently switched to the Wildpeak AT3 235/65/17 from Goodyear Efficient Grip 225/55/17.
I would say that any increase in noise was somewhere between negligible and none existent. I didn't notice any change at all.

Any issues with the Dsg? Im on 225/65/17 and all ways wanted the 235/65 but not sure about how the van will respond being automatic… what can you say about this?
Hi. No issues that I have come across. Using a little more fuel, but not much more. I have done a mix of short drives and long motorway distances. I also have towed a fairly big caravan for over 300 miles this summer. Hope that information helps.

Back