Any recommendations for portable solar panel that fits on dash without kerfuffle?

whodat

T6 Pro
Hi,
Just got an Ecoflow River and looking at portable/folding solar panels that will fit comfortably on the dash that are 100w or more.
Won't need to be there whilst driving but just parked up so can overhang to steering wheel.

Done a bit of whittling down and it is probably between Ecoworthy flexi 130w panel or foldable 100w.
It might be possible to get a 200w panel and only use half of it (folded) but they are a bit heavier and probably less easy to wield around one's head.

If you have other suggestions - throw them in this direction.

T6.1 dash - max width 140cm, and max depth about 60cm and the less weight to it the easier to manoeuvre into place as I think I'm being a bit optimistic with how easy it is to manoeuvre these things into place whilst lying under it, bracing myself against the gearstick and the handbrake, and trying to slide it onto the dash without scratching dash/solar/windscreen with the dog trying to help and the family watching and possibly streaming these antics to some chinese server somewhere.

Cheers.

Not sure how about the efficiency of a PV panel behind a windscreen but I’m sure there’s somebody out there who knows.
What I do know is the efficiency drops with temperature rise.

Where do you plan to park up whilst using the PV?

We have the hard PV folding suitcase from Renogy. It's like a wall paper tale in size but a little heavier. We only use it exclusively in campsites, where it lives on the ground, at an angle, next to the van. I leave the front window down an inch to allow the connectors fitted. I feel comfortable in a paid for campsite leaving it without the worry someone will pinch it whilst we are away from the van.
If you plan to use it in only similar circumstances to us, the solar suitcase is good at keeping the battery topped up.

Cheers for the replies.
I didn't know about the efficiency/heat and I was wondering about how much the windscreen would filter out but it is mostly going to be used when parked at home, on the road with occasional camping trips. I'm not sure what we'll be running or how much power we need as never had a power supply when we went camping, so the needs/wants are directed by what we have. Probably going to have to get a mini fridge (10 or 15 litre)! Mmmmm cold beer in hot sun (it might happen one day).

Was even thinking of getting a foldup 200w and folding it up so it fits on the dash but the measurements I've seen probably mean that less than half would fit comfortably on the dash and they start getting a bit more bulky then.

I did look at Renogy and that is also an option but was just awondering if anyone else had the same amazing (You there - stop laughing) idea to use it on the dash.

@whodat I have a 50w one of these BlueFusion Portable Folding Solar Panel 50W/100W/120W for Outdoors not lithium capable.
For keeping the starter battery topped up and can say yes it keeps a starter battery topped up wouldnt know if it would charge a power station quick enough.
It's behind the windscreen inside no sun 0.1A fairly sunny 0.7A sun blasting down not very often 1.6A dust on solar panel or dirty windscreen make a massive differance in Amps

i used this 50w one, , and plugged into dash 12v socket.

1714292229249.png

+++

and just about managed this 100w panel, . . .

1714292360449.png

++++++++

heres the other stuff . . . .

SOLAR:

My Panels:

Look at what you are powering before you go buy a solar PV as it may not be enough.

My fridge is a 3 way (240v/12v/gas). I prechill at home on 240v, run off the vehicle on the move and have the option of leisure/vehicle battery when stopped at shops or motorway serv, then gas when static. This also means if we camp with a larger tent or awning when on the continent, can leave the free standing fridge in the tent on gas.

I'd look at the possible fridges and their power consumption first. Achest style are better as the cold stays in the tub, over a front door opening fridge where the cold air pours out when opened. Look at the power consumption on both 240v and 12v. My Quest TriStar (Go Outdoors sell them) consumes 75W (power, P) at 12v (voltage, v) which is P/V=A :- 6.25 amps, quite high off my cheap n cheerful 62ah AGM battery.

So look at what power your fridge will consume. Divide it by 12 for the current consumption. Then look at what output your PV can supply. Halve that solar power production, as it's never 100% claimed output, unless you are camping in the Sahara. Then you can see what current will be drawn from your fridge and what current (power supply P=V*A) you need, and realistically, if a dash PV can supply your needs.

For home I plug into the mains, and you can find lots of info on here about simple mains hook ups at home. PV can be sighted on a larger panel at home if your garden is secure, but whilst you are at home you could easily add mains feed via Wind Deflectors, which allows your windows to be left open an inch without risking water getting in when it rains.

Finally, most people use gas for heating water, as it is most efficient and you can apply that principle to your fridge, hence my owning a 3 Way fridge.

Sorry this started out as a short reply....

Edit, some of use use a DC to DC charger for the leisure battery so it remains topped up all the while you are driving the van.

Wow - cheers people.
The mini fridge I was thinking of getting pulls about 45w but that shouldn't be pulling that all the time if it is cooled before a journey. The chest fridges are a bit more heavy duty and really only want cold milk on my cereal in the morning along with the aforementioned beer every now and again. The family might have other ideas. For instance, my other half used to bring a proper mattress and duvet camping which was always a bit embarrassing but a lot quicker than a pump up airbed. No more backpacking I thinks.
Somehow still manage to fill a van floor to ceiling with stuff for a few days camping.

I did look at your post Dell - amazing effort and well described - that is what put me onto the Ecoflow River (768Wh). Thank you. I missed out on your sale by a couple of days.

Ended up just now ordering the portable 100w Ecoworthy panel with the hope of possibly hooking up another one if needed. The Renogy - they seem to lump quite a few panels under the same name so didn't want to end up ordering a 'heavy' one. The Ecoworthy have a deal going on at their site at the moment also.

My starter battery keeps on going to 12.0v, so it takes about 1/3 of the Ecoflow's output to run a 5 amp Ctek to charge it overnight. Will see what sort of input we get from the panel on the dash, in some shade and some sun (that thing in the sky that sometimes shows itself) in relation to the Ecoflow and work out whether need to pair it with another one or not when out and about.
Cheers. Much appreciated advice all round.

Just for anyone browsing...
Got an Ecoworthy fold up 100w solar panel. Fits on dash when parked - see pic above posted by DellMassive - that is the one.
In full sun, when solar panel is on dash it supplies about 20-30 watts which is more than I was expecting as cells not angled exactly and are a bit boss-eyed etc.

They were set up set up on the dash at about 9am and disconnected at 4pm - van in shade till about 11am. Sunny till 2.30pm then a bit hazy/cloudy but still giving 24w.
Given that it was behind the filtered by the windscreen and only had direct sunlight between 11am and 2.30pm, managed to harvest about 60Wh over 5 hours of mostly hazy sunshine.

My 100w jackery folder on the dashboard in full sun in the south of France used to produce around 30-40w. Angle of attack was fine, but as you say, the windscreen filter must filter around 50%.....

Back