Anyone Replaced Their Tailgate Pull Strap?

Ann3x

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Thinking about changing the strap, have the unit off and the pivot pin out (which is just pressed in) but cant see how the strap itself clips apart:

IMG_20180929_125153.jpg

Tried some gentle prying of the seam with a trim tool and it aint budging. It's clearly 2 parts, just can't work out if it's clipped (where?) or glued (ie impossible to take apart without destroying it)

Has anyone replaced theirs? Or alternatively had one thats broken that they saw the internals of?

I'm intrigued to see what pops up here as that plastic strap has always bothered me. It's one of those jobs that I've been wanting to get to doing.

What are you planning to swap it to?

I'm intrigued to see what pops up here as that plastic strap has always bothered me. It's one of those jobs that I've been wanting to get to doing.

What are you planning to swap it to?

I was thinking some nice soft leather would be pretty satisfying. I'll have a bash with a chisel tomorrow.

I was thinking some nice soft leather would be pretty satisfying. I'll have a bash with a chisel tomorrow.

Therefore could you not just stitch a hole loop for the 'pivot-pin'..

Therefore could you not just stitch a hole loop for the 'pivot-pin'..

Possibly if the leather can be doubled tight enough to retain the pin (resistance through the mount seems to play a role in holding it in place).

Neater tho to use the original strap mount.

So it is clips and plastiweld that hold it together:

IMG_20180930_101438.jpg IMG_20180930_101442.jpg
Few hits wit a 1" wood chisel opened it up, dont think there is a way to do this without a bit of force tho. I think it's still reusable with a bit of glue / plastiweld.
IMG_20180930_101514.jpg
Need to find a nice 50cm long / 25mm wide leather strap now. Camera strap seems a good candidate.

A good strong leather belt might be an idea? Cut to length, doubled over, and maybe get a stitched pattern on it

Well it looks nice to my tastes. Might experiment with thickness tho.

IMG_20181004_223904.jpg
IMG_20181005_140928.jpg

Mines lasted 2.5y now with no issues. I think if I did it again Id use a slightly harder leather as it feels a little stretchy at times - although works just fine.

Watching with interest, as mine has just broken.
nothing to lose then, I tried all sorts to try and get a split ring or small clip or something round the pin but part of the strap was still in. Glad I found this page

I went to VW for a new one. It wasn’t too expensive and will probably last another 5 years or so.

Never used ours. Just annoyed me so removed it all together.

Back