Best Tarp / Sun-Canopy / Rail-Sail for the Van?

I've gone for the Kirvans rail sail. I like the flexibility of it, loads of different set ups. Cause I'm a tart, I've got some S&S Carbon poles for it :laugh:

That looks great - how quickly can it go up? - looks like less than 5 minutes?

I am looking at a Fiamma alternative as if I put a Fiamma on the side we will go over 2m high and have to pay extra on the French peage without lowering and that is getting to be an expensive option (but tempting long term).

That looks great - how quickly can it go up? - looks like less than 5 minutes?

I am looking at a Fiamma alternative as if I put a Fiamma on the side we will go over 2m high and have to pay extra on the French peage without lowering and that is getting to be an expensive option (but tempting long term).

Less than 5 minutes to put it up. I’ve been experimenting with different set ups. Finally found one that works well. Ended up getting another pole but now is seems rock solid and doesn’t flap about in the wind.

I also can vouch for the Kiravans Sail, use it all the time. I went for some bog standard steel adjustable poles. Loads of ways of putting it up including to the ground in a storm.
The good point is it covers the sliding door when open so no rain getting inside.

IMG_20180715_162506__01.jpg

IMG_20180809_212441.jpg

I suddenly have an interest in basic door shelters - sun shade / something to cook under.

Ally C extrusion in the roof channel looks favourite with a basic tarp / poles / guidelines probably doable for < £150.

I just wondered if there are any options to attach to roof bars which will keep the tarp off the paintwork?

There is quite a lot in the archives on awnings but couldnt find anything specific on roofbar attachment.

Ian

Last edited:
Plus one for the Vango Airbeam. I also bought a 3M but the extra bit of material is easily dealt with (the 2,5M wasn't made at the time). I've found it stands up very well to windy conditions (but wouldn't want to leave it up if it was really blowing a hooley!).

Plus one for the Vango Airbeam. I also bought a 3M but the extra bit of material is easily dealt with (the 2,5M wasn't made at the time). I've found it stands up very well to windy conditions (but wouldn't want to leave it up if it was really blowing a hooley!).

I used to pin back the extra material with some neodymium magnets, but it was blowing a gale in Wales and the magnets pinged off and attached themselves to the body :eek:

I know a seamstress, so she narrowed the canopy by 20cm each side in exchange for Gin.

:D

I used to pin back the extra material with some neodymium magnets, but it was blowing a gale in Wales and the magnets pinged off and attached themselves to the body ....................
:D
That's just the camping gods telling you to buy some bigger magnets.:):)

Looking to get some supplementary cover and initial tgought was drive away awning but now talking myself out of it as event shelter would be more useful away from the van.

Erring towards a colman event shelter probs the 15x15 but not sure.

Any ideas or experience would be appreciated.cheers

We have the big Coleman. Really good, up to the side of the van, or away. A couple of sides would be good as it is quite exposed. Keeps the light wind at bay, but if it’s howling get it down. They are not that strong.

I’ve got both a Vango Airbeam Sun Canopy and Kiravans Railsail. I only really got to use the Vango once before I bought the Railsail from a chap on here but I‘m already totally sold on it (the Railsail that is). It’s very versatile, quick to deploy and made of quality canvas material. The down side is that a new one is very expensive in comparison to the Vango (but very cheap compared to Thule / Fiamma roll out jobbies which I dislike anyway). I’ll be selling the Vango if I can ever get my aris in gear to do the advert.

Thanks for that I just fitted a kiravan double swivel plate well impressed with them I'll give that railsail a look. Cheers

I’m plus +1 for get your own made…..I’ve had two Vango sun canopies…sold them both..Nothing wrong but just not right for me…
We found a sail maker…Bright Yellow acrylic sail material ( never rot and extremely strong ) and used ratchet straps …so I’ve got a extremely tight strong structure of my colour choice…..and cheaper than ready made :)

Reactions: JOG
I'm looking to get a sun canopy and not sure if to go for a Stiches and Steel or something like a Wild Earth. I like the idea of the Stiches and Steel one as you can have it all the way out or drop half down to give you some protection from the wind. The only down side is they only come in black and I have an Indium van... wanted to try and get something grey to match. Any ideas???

I have a debus canapy and it’s still my favourite awning despite spending 1000s on other fancy air things. I have the older poles but these new black ones with quick release adjustment look like a great improvement too!

If you click on the link above don’t bother watching the video, really annoying waste of time. Nearly puts me off the awning (which is barely featured in between pretty people running about)

Back