Best Tarp / Sun-Canopy / Rail-Sail for the Van?

Debus awning from Funky Leisure

If you want something a bit more hardcore the Rail Sail from Kiravans is also well regarded.

As I mentioned earlier, I recently bought a Debus, and first used it last week, the weather was dry and temperature was between 25c max and 15c min.
In the evening I moved the poles back and sloped the front down to allow run off in case of a shower.
Each morning the awning was totally soaked through (presumably condensation), and took an hour or so to dry.
I wonder if others have experienced this, and if you've found a cure (other than packing away at night)?
Thanks.

IMG_3455.JPG

IMG_3462.JPG

As I mentioned earlier, I recently bought a Debus, and first used it last week, the weather was dry and temperature was between 25c max and 15c min.
In the evening I moved the poles back and sloped the front down to allow run off in case of a shower.
Each morning the awning was totally soaked through (presumably condensation), and took an hour or so to dry.
I wonder if others have experienced this, and if you've found a cure (other than packing away at night)?
Thanks.

View attachment 213056

View attachment 213057
Heatwave or not it’s still sept so loads of dew settled by the morning. Lucky, because of the heatwave I’m guessing it’s gone after an hour in the sun. This is why I don’t like heavy polycotton awnings because no matter how dry it’s been it’s going to be wet in the morning!

Thanks.

View attachment 213056

View attachment 213057
It’s just the current conditions. It’s been very humid with a heavy dew at night. The dew will chill the canopy causing condensation to form on the underside as heat rises from the relatively warm ground below. Nothing you can do about it other than take the canopy down or wait for it to dry in the morning sun.

Thanks.

View attachment 213056

View attachment 213057
Bizarre! Haven’t experienced this with ours. You could try re-sealing it? Or if it’s new, it might need a good soaking and drying to waterproof. Apparently that’s a think.

Can anyone tell me if the vango ll low air drive away awnings are any good and is there a big difference between the low and high ones

Vango Low suit transporters and similar height vans, High is for motorhomes and vans like crafters and sprinters. Height difference low is usually somewhere between 180 and 220cm’s, high from memory goes from 235/240 to 280/290 cm’s. Using a high is just about possible as it’s only the tunnel height that’s different but you’ll need to lose the excess tunnel material when pegging out

I recently sold my vango air driveway and brought a “used once” dometic air beam drivaway. Great bit of kit, heavy but solid and better shape than the vango with a lot better standing room. Just a little faff when only short stay

I am now on the hunt for a quick setup for short breaks. Was considering the stitches and steel but noticed via this site that debus have some seconds available. Seem to have good reviews.

My van has twin sliders and had a rail on drivers side but I prefer the passenger side so I now have 2 rails so potentially could use both awnings on longer stays

The big issue is that we tend to site the thetford in the awning tunnel and would love something with sides for privacy. I see there are some lightweight canopies with sides available but guess robustness might suffer and cost goes up a lot. The other option is popup toilet tent

Any thoughts on
  1. The debus at £60 (once again following this site costs money lol)
  2. Alternative lightweight with sides to consider
  3. Recommend a popup toilet tent
Thanks in advance

I recently sold my vango air driveway and brought a “used once” dometic air beam drivaway. Great bit of kit, heavy but solid and better shape than the vango with a lot better standing room. Just a little faff when only short stay

I am now on the hunt for a quick setup for short breaks. Was considering the stitches and steel but noticed via this site that debus have some seconds available. Seem to have good reviews.

My van has twin sliders and had a rail on drivers side but I prefer the passenger side so I now have 2 rails so potentially could use both awnings on longer stays

The big issue is that we tend to site the thetford in the awning tunnel and would love something with sides for privacy. I see there are some lightweight canopies with sides available but guess robustness might suffer and cost goes up a lot. The other option is popup toilet tent

Any thoughts on
  1. The debus at £60 (once again following this site costs money lol)
  2. Alternative lightweight with sides to consider
  3. Recommend a popup toilet tent
Thanks in advance
So are you saying that if you have sides on the canopy you would sit on the throne in it? Hope I don’t ever camp next to you! ;)

We had the vango air canopy with sides and found that it didn’t really fulfill the needs of a canopy (super quick up/down) or an awning (couldn’t do business in it) so went for a smaller simpler awning that I’m happy to pitch for a night or two and kept the debus (which is still my favourite of everything so far)

So are you saying that if you have sides on the canopy you would sit on the throne in it? Hope I don’t ever camp next to you! ;)

We had the vango air canopy with sides and found that it didn’t really fulfill the needs of a canopy (super quick up/down) or an awning (couldn’t do business in it) so went for a smaller simpler awning that I’m happy to pitch for a night or two and kept the debus (which is still my favourite of everything so far)
Stand - only no1s You never know you may enjoy our neighbourly company :thumbsup:

Normally The thetford lives in the tunnel between van and driveway, never had an issue. Think others do similar from what i have read. If pub carpark stay then has to go at bottom of bed again not issue but not ideal. A quick throw up shelter might work better

Stand - only no1s You never know you may enjoy our neighbourly company :thumbsup:

Normally The thetford lives in the tunnel between van and driveway, never had an issue. Think others do similar from what i have read. If pub carpark stay then has to go at bottom of bed again not issue but not ideal. A quick throw up shelter might work better
Throw up shelter :sick:
You certainly go well prepared! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: CAB
I have erected our new Debus canopy in the garden as the van doesn't yet have an awning rail and she's at the garage having very expensive (to me) works done I thought I'd see what the issue is with the 'second' off of the ebay. I have to say i can barely notice the print transfer mentioned. Very happy with it!

20240719_121204.jpg

20240719_120421.jpg

@Badjamin. Having used my Debus on a recent month long trip in France, I have to say that you made a great choice and even at full price it would be a bargain. When I first got mine it was really only to be used on the odd occasion that I wanted a simpler alternative to my Kiravans Railsail but I'm now beginning to think that the Debus is the better option all round.

We bought the Debus sun canopy but had to cut down the length along the van because it was too long for our rail. It still seems too big to us and we rarely use it.

We occasionally use, and prefer, a tarp hung on the rail. It’s not much smaller but a more interesting shape. Ours is a Hilleberg Tarp left over from camping days and bought in a sale somewhere. A quality product. Another advantage is the tarp bag is tiny compared to the enormous Debus bag.

But then, we rarely use either, preferring the less-is-more approach.

img_2982.jpeg

Back