Clueless solar question -> Ecoflow, Jackery etc.

WHSE

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all,

This is possibly and ridiculous question but I'm not really particularly well versed in all things solar, I'll try and explain myself!....

1. I love the idea of the flexibility of units like the Ecoflow and Jackery for camping/van use and other things around the home
  2. I have a day van with zero leisure power capability currently
  3. I like the idea of using something like an Ecoflow because when I'm using the van as my daily driver I can leave it at home
  4. I would like the potential for some off-grid trips using solar
So, does that mean the following is possible?...
  1. Solar panel fitting to roof of van with a single socket in the van that the Ecoflow could be plugged into, or left unused when not needed.
  2. No other leisure electrics, i.e. no leisure battery, inverter etc because all of that would be provided by the portable unit
  3. When driving the Ecoflow could be charged by solar or by the engine 12v circuit
  4. Also, can the 12v output on the Ecoflow also "top up" a parked engine battery, i.e. the reverse arrangement whereby any draw on the engine battery from the interior 12v circuit is topped up by the Ecoflow?
Thanks experts!

Hi all,

This is possibly and ridiculous question but I'm not really particularly well versed in all things solar, I'll try and explain myself!....

1. I love the idea of the flexibility of units like the Ecoflow and Jackery for camping/van use and other things around the home
  2. I have a day van with zero leisure power capability currently
  3. I like the idea of using something like an Ecoflow because when I'm using the van as my daily driver I can leave it at home
  4. I would like the potential for some off-grid trips using solar
So, does that mean the following is possible?...
  1. Solar panel fitting to roof of van with a single socket in the van that the Ecoflow could be plugged into, or left unused when not needed.
  2. No other leisure electrics, i.e. no leisure battery, inverter etc because all of that would be provided by the portable unit
  3. When driving the Ecoflow could be charged by solar or by the engine 12v circuit
  4. Also, can the 12v output on the Ecoflow also "top up" a parked engine battery, i.e. the reverse arrangement whereby any draw on the engine battery from the interior 12v circuit is topped up by the Ecoflow?
Thanks experts!
Nope, sorry, can't see a ridiculous question there.

I have a 105ah PowerRoad low temp LifePo battery, roof mounted 100w solar panel and a 300w inverter all running on Victron. Their van is fully wired for EHU with a number of 13a, 12v & USB sockets with a built in fridge and a water heater 12v/240v water heater. This has all suited me and still does work really well.

Last year a 1000w jackery fell into my ownership for £500 & that has been a game changer in relation to how I use my over all power. I bought a 120w foldable solar panel to charge it. The Jackery can individually boil a 900w kettle, runs my toaster, a 700w one pot & my percolator it can also act as an EHU hook up & battery charger if needed. Charging it from my inverter or 12v power socket whilst on the move is great.

I’ve hardly used my gas cooker since I got it neither have i had to connect to on site power since and on a road trip (NC 500 for example) it’s been a godsend.

During power failures late last year it also came in very handy.

Last year this post may have had me posting about why waste money on a portable power supply but now - just do it!

loads of good stuff over here --->

i think im up to about 7 portable power packs now.

1673589232865.png

1673589265026.png

and don't forget you can also build your own battery box too:

1673589351840.png1673589361716.png

Beware those eco flow type units have a max 2.year warranty where as lithium batteries have up to ten year
So the above is possible and a great idea as I do similar but I do have a lithium battery and gas hob etc but we mainly use a power box with a single ceramic hob and a low wattage kettle works great.

Eco flow when it works is a great product but it you have a support issue don’t bother.
I bought the eco flow river max £749 and it turned up after about four weeks was working but rattling like some broken plastic inside made a support call and it was collected a few weeks later then I waited and waited nothing. It had gone missing or got dropped off with a neighbour but we know all the neighbours and they wouldn’t have a clue what it is and we have Cctv

So another long effort trying to get my money back and eventually had to get hold of the main people in the US they sorted thing. This was from sept 22 to dec 22 so not a great experience.

I do know the new eco flow now has a better battery technology a bit like the bluetti and a safer let chance of fire

We charge ours up when we drive as we did try to attach it to our roof solar but for some reason it wouldn’t accept the charge but I do think a power box of sorts that can be removed and used anywhere with a bespoke harness would be amazing and I may even make something

So the above is possible and a great idea as I do similar but I do have a lithium battery and gas hob etc but we mainly use a power box with a single ceramic hob and a low wattage kettle works great.

Eco flow when it works is a great product but it you have a support issue don’t bother.
I bought the eco flow river max £749 and it turned up after about four weeks was working but rattling like some broken plastic inside made a support call and it was collected a few weeks later then I waited and waited nothing. It had gone missing or got dropped off with a neighbour but we know all the neighbours and they wouldn’t have a clue what it is and we have Cctv

So another long effort trying to get my money back and eventually had to get hold of the main people in the US they sorted thing. This was from sept 22 to dec 22 so not a great experience.

I do know the new eco flow now has a better battery technology a bit like the bluetti and a safer let chance of fire

We charge ours up when we drive as we did try to attach it to our roof solar but for some reason it wouldn’t accept the charge but I do think a power box of sorts that can be removed and used anywhere with a bespoke harness would be amazing and I may even make something
Check @Dellmassive ’s thread ‘How I done it’ for battery box ideas.

Apologies if I have missed the answer to this, (I have read thru @Delmassives extensive thread but couldn’t see a reference).

As per the OP I am intending to install a standard EHU set up for 240v side, but utilise a power station (haven’t decided on brand yet so open to suggestions) for the 12v install. I have previously used a small 240 Jackery in my Caddy which was fine for charging stuff, lights etc, but this time there will be a fridge. I will also be fitting a solar panel.

According to Jackery they do not recommend charging the battery while it is under load, is this a Jackery thing or an issue for power stations in general?
"Q2: Can the Explorer 240 be charged while using?

A: Yes, Explorer 240 supports pass-through charging. But we don’t suggest this as it could shorten the battery life."

Just thinking that I would want the fridge running all day, and would want to be topping the battery up with the solar (or 12v if driving somewhere), but would I be causing damage doing this?

When we go away (which isnt that often) i have my fridge plugged into my jackery 500 with the solar panel connected, the battery percentage drops slowly overnight and picks back up during the day, as long as there a bit of sunshine my unit seems to run my fridge indefinitely

Apologies if I have missed the answer to this, (I have read thru @Delmassives extensive thread but couldn’t see a reference).

As per the OP I am intending to install a standard EHU set up for 240v side, but utilise a power station (haven’t decided on brand yet so open to suggestions) for the 12v install. I have previously used a small 240 Jackery in my Caddy which was fine for charging stuff, lights etc, but this time there will be a fridge. I will also be fitting a solar panel.

According to Jackery they do not recommend charging the battery while it is under load, is this a Jackery thing or an issue for power stations in general?

A: Yes, Explorer 240 supports pass-through charging. But we don’t suggest this as it could shorten the battery life."

Just thinking that I would want the fridge running all day, and would want to be topping the battery up with the solar (or 12v if driving somewhere), but would I be causing damage doing this?
Hmm thats new. I run my Jackery 1000w with a load whilst charging when i am on a long drive: Czechia for example. i have a Quest fridge which I plug in 240v and the jackery charges at 150W. I also run multiple points of it whilst it is connected to solar.
I’m now checking that statement with jackery cos a lot of their marketing vids and pictures show just that. Charging whilst using.

Ty
Hmm thats new. I run my Jackery 1000w with a load whilst charging when i am on a long drive: Czechia for example. i have a Quest fridge which I plug in 240v and the jackery charges at 150W. I also run multiple points of it whilst it is connected to solar.
I’m now checking that statement with jackery cos a lot of their marketing vids and pictures show just that. Charging whilst using.
do you have full leisure battery system fitted too ??

Ty

do you have full leisure battery system fitted too ??
Yes I do. 105ah PowerRoad Lithium, 100w solar with an EHU that can charge either the leisure or the car battery. beauty is I can plug the Jackery in as well and charge via the EHU or use the internal 13a sockets.

I just got an answer back. The 500w and above are no issue with pass through charging. However some earlier models 500w & below do not have the capability. The newer (i think they mean the MkII their currently on MkIII) 240w can but it’s not advised and it isn’t really designed to it.

It was on the Hampshire Generators website which is where I bought my Jackery from, it might be nothing but set me wondering.

I just got an answer back. The 500w and above are no issue with pass through charging. However some earlier models 500w & below do not have the capability. The newer (i think they mean the MkII their currently on MkIII) 240w can but it’s not advised and it isn’t really designed to it.
Good to know, thanks for clearing that up.

Back