Cold weather leisure battery protection

Hi Everyone,
I've totally destroyed my 2 leisure batteries due to very, very little use of the van over the winter months. I've bought another 2 today but want to know the best way of protecting these going forward, when the van isn't being used for long periods, and when the freezing temperatures return.
Thanks in advance

What batteries have you fitted?

Best way is to keep them charged above 50% for the duration.

So normally a 24hr mains charge up once a month does the trick.

Or leave on a maintenance charger all winter if possible.

More info.

So how, depends on your setup.

What have you got?

Post some pics as well.

Solar just isn't good enough over winter..... So you need to use mains chargers.

A lot more people are now using PPP, portable power stations. That can be charger at home, then left in van for a while to run a smart charger....

Eg...

If away from mains hook up. My van is in storage over winter so leave the solar panel connected to my starter battery. Obviously you won't get the watt's compared to summer months but does still keep the battery topped up. Just got to clean the solar panels regularly.

If away from mains hook up. My van is in storage over winter so leave the solar panel connected to my starter battery. Obviously you won't get the watt's compared to summer months but does still keep the battery topped up. Just got to clean the solar panels regularly.
Nice,

Just out of interest.

roughly what size panel?
What controller?
How is it connected to the starter battery?

Maybe you have a pic or two?

Nice,

Just out of interest.

roughly what size panel?
What controller?
How is it connected to the starter battery?

Maybe you have a pic or two?

Have 2 x 120w panels. Connected to victron mppt 75/15. Just used crocodile clips last winter, seemed work fine but may hard wire next time.

1000015532.jpg

What batteries have you fitted?

Best way is to keep them charged above 50% for the duration.

So normally a 24hr mains charge up once a month does the trick.

Or leave on a maintenance charger all winter if possible.

More info.

Thanks for this. The batteries I've gone for are 2 of these, Advanced AGM LP120 Leisure Battery 120ah 12v | Advanced Battery Supplies

So how, depends on your setup.

What have you got?

Post some pics as well.

Solar just isn't good enough over winter..... So you need to use mains chargers.

A lot more people are now using PPP, portable power stations. That can be charger at home, then left in van for a while to run a smart charger....

Eg...

Thanks for that. I've gone for 2 of the Advanced AGM LP120

It's not so much the temperature that is the issue with AGM it's letting them drop below 50%, also if your batteries are in a bank the fractional difference between the capacities will mean one will be a parasitic load on the other when off charge.

So the question is how do you use your van over the winter?

If it's genuinely in store/laid up then an option is to fully isolate the batteries. If there isn't a load on them the self discharge is low, maybe just a top up every three months or so. If you go that route it's vital that the 2 batteries or also isolated from each other.

Reactions: DXX
Best to use it, not just batteries but AC, engine oil and bearings. Laid up machinery can have more reliability issues than that which is in regular use.

I've got a few pics of the set up, minus the new batteries, which haven't arrived yet. Forgot to say earlier I've also got a solar panel providing 22v into the c-tek250se.

IMG_20240430_140209.jpg

IMG_20240430_140224.jpg

IMG_20240430_140358.jpg

IMG_20240430_140404.jpg

IMG_20240430_140423.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting setup.

I've not seen those elc power supplies before.

So looks.like:

Check d250 dc-dc charger,

With additional solar panel connected to it.

EHU with twin 12v power supplies.

EHU fuse box,

12v fuse box,

A 240v mains inverter of some discription. That seems to have a power shunt on its 12v feed.

The ctek will trickle charge your starter, but only from solar, and only after your leisure batterys are fully, so possible during summer time.

But no chance over winter.

Do you have access to mains power over winter? - a 5-10A smart charger will keep those twin AGMs happy.

If not connected all the time, then once or twice a month for 24hrs.

Have 2 x 120w panels. Connected to victron mppt 75/15. Just used crocodile clips last winter, seemed work fine but may hard wire next time.

View attachment 239075
Gotcha,

That explains that then.

240w pv on a vic 75/15 will keep the Aux battery happy over winter.

I tried with my 50w dash panel and vic 75/15.... There just wasn't enough daylight to keep me running.

Though it did extend my run time versus last year with no PV.

Interesting setup.

So looks.like:

EHU fuse box,

12v fuse box,

A 240v mains inverter of some discription. That seems to have a power shunt on its 12v feed.

The ctek will trickle charge your starter, but only from solar, and only after your leisure batterys are fully, so possible during summer time.

Do you have access to mains power over winter? - a 5-10A smart charger will keep those twin AGMs happy.

Spot on thanks mate, much appreciated. Yes I have access to 240v all year round. Might be a daft question but would not just plugging in the EHU not so the same thing as a smart charger? I was just thinking of adding a BM2 monitor as well. Sorry if this is an ignorant question be I've no elec knowledge at this level. If all this is not appropriate is the a smart charger for 5-10a that you recommend?
Thank again

That depends if you EHU has a charger that connects to the starter battery.

Most don't.

But you have two?

Maybe one is connected to the starter,?

You will need to test it .... Plug in to EHU and see if the starter battery rises as well as the lb.

Bm2 are great, I have one on both starter and leisure batterys.

Interesting setup.

So looks.like:

EHU fuse box,

12v fuse box,

Most don't.

But you have two?

You will need to test it .... Plug in to EHU and see if the starter battery rises as well as the lb.

Brilliant, I'll hook up the EHU at lunch time today and update you on whether it does both.

Most don't.

But you have two?

Just checked and the EHU doesn't charge the starter. So I'm looking at the Victron chargers as I like the disconnects this comes with and the fact you can add longer extension and fixed M6/M6 connections and leave on the batteries. I'm not wanting to overdo it so which of the Victron would be a good fit for what I need

If you're just looking to top up then something around 5A is ideal, they're a bit smaller to tuck away if you are taking them with you and they will charge larger discharges, just a bit slower.

The 15A is also a good choice if you want something flexible and future proof. It's bulkier but you can set it to a lowered charge rate for maintenance. It does have the power to charge more rapidly so could, for instance, serve as a backup to your EHU charger in an emergency.

My rule is everything in the van has to have 2 uses!

Both of those are the IP65 range so they are designed to have some weather protection, don't use an IP22 range one for this, they are designed for indoor and more permanent mounting.

Back