Do I need an inverter?

IMO. No you don’t, we camp for weeks at a time, mostly off site. The only thing we ‘needed’ mains power for is to charge electric toothbrushes. That’s solved by Phillips Ultrasonic which seems to last weeks on one charge. We don’t use gas, just a Wallas XC Duo for cooking and heating.
Slightly off-topic: I found a USB charger for Oral B toothbrushes on Amazon, in case anyone needs one without an inverter available

Reactions: CAB
Slightly off-topic: I found a USB charger for Oral B toothbrushes on Amazon, in case anyone needs one without an inverter available
I bought one, in theory they work but in practice not as the voltage is obviously low and the current limited. A no go, don’t waste your money.

I have an Inverter fitted and never use it. I've got a 12v charger for my Mac and my fridge also runs off 12v.
For hot water I use a Jetboil flash. Boils water in less than 2 mins.

I bought a camper cause I’ve got a bad back, I look at it this way if I wanted 240v all the time I could stay at home, I do have an inverter and use it quite regularly it’s fantastic at proping my shed door open can be such a pain with it flapping around in the wind

What I'm missing now is not an inverter but a 24V feed, as that is what allows you to use the faster travel kettles and other low wattage accessories that they don't make with 240V feeds. It seems that they assume that 240V means you have 800-1000W to use and 12V they assume 60-80W. Whereas 24V opens up the 100-300W range of truck accessories

What I'm missing now is not an inverter but a 24V feed, as that is what allows you to use the faster travel kettles and other low wattage accessories that they don't make with 240V feeds. It seems that they assume that 240V means you have 800-1000W to use and 12V they assume 60-80W. Whereas 24V opens up the 100-300W range of truck accessories
Simple to hook up an additional battery in series on an isolator to give you this

A cheeky jump in to someone else's thread.
So If I had an inverter, say 1200w. And I wanted to boil a 1kw kettle. How long would the battery last if I have a 110ah amg?
Also, if I had the engine in while using it, would that not deplete the battery?
I have 3pin sockets in the van, but I still haven't bought an inverter yet.
Thank you

A cheeky jump in to someone else's thread.
So If I had an inverter, say 1200w. And I wanted to boil a 1kw kettle. How long would the battery last if I have a 110ah amg?
Also, if I had the engine in while using it, would that not deplete the battery?
I have 3pin sockets in the van, but I still haven't bought an inverter yet.
Thank you

A 1kw kettle, assuming a ~85% efficient inverter, will draw about 100A continuously for the few minutes it's on. This is a pretty hideous load for an AGM battery and I don't recommend you do it. I suggest using gas to boil your water whilst not on hookup.

A 1kw kettle, assuming a ~85% efficient inverter, will draw about 100A continuously for the few minutes it's on. This is a pretty hideous load for an AGM battery and I don't recommend you do it. I suggest using gas to boil your water whilst not on hookup.
It would probably boil the battery faster than the kettle

Your 110ah battery will have about 4.8 MJ stored in it. You want to limit your usage to around 2.4 MJ to preserve battery life.

Assume you are heating water from 15 C to 100 C. That takes about 4.2 kJ per kg per degree.

Your battery, if new, is capable of heating around 6.7 liters of water from full battery to 50% depleted battery, assuming 100 percent efficient conversion. No power left for lights, diesel heater, phone, music etc.

Your battery will reduce in capacity as it gets older. The manufacturer expects it to be 80% capacity when it reaches its rated cycles.

A kg of lpg contains about 47 MJ of energy.

Back