DPF Oil/Ash level

Thanks for the information. The oil/ash value is creeping up to 65.4 and I’ve noticed if you drop from 6-4th gear it’s struggling to go up a gear like it’s being starved of oxygen.
One other thing that happens is the soot mass measured goes down to 5.8g then immediately jumps to 24g.

Thats on my list of things to do. I took the van back 3-4 times after they replaced the turbo and they said its normal to regen that often.
Even took it to a VW independent who had it for a week and charged me a lot for the pleasure and said nothing wrong with it even though i was using 1 litre of oil every 250 miles.
It’s consuming 1L every 250 miles after the engine rebuild? If so that is the cause of your blocked DPF.

It’s consuming 1L every 250 miles after the engine rebuild? If so that is the cause of your blocked DPF.
Sorry no. It was before the rebuild and i wondered if that has filled the DPF up. Thanks

Thanks - perfect!

Well, first some confusing data. Indeed, the engine seems to be in almost continuous DPF regeneration.
View attachment 247975
At the moment of the data capture the engine had already been in DPF regen for 10 minutes (607 s). Thus there had been only some 11 minutes of no-regen in between. Normally it's a few hours.
The "no request" is because the engine was just started.
View attachment 247976

As the regen is in progress the soot values will be decreasing fast - as soon as engine heats up. So can't conclude much about the values now. However, as soon as the regen is finished I'm expecting the soot measured to climb back to 24 grams just in minutes.

Data confirms the readings what the VAG DPF app showed. The pressure loss in the DPF is really high - or the sensor has failed - however, the other values (offsets) seem to be normal.
View attachment 247980

Also air flow in the intake is almost double than normal so engine obviously is "labouring" even when ticking over. I think this might indicate that the DPF differential pressure sensor is actually just fine.
View attachment 247981
Thanks for taking time looking at this really appreciate it and wish i had posted on here first before wasting so much money with garages.

Sorry no. It was before the rebuild and i wondered if that has filled the DPF up. Thanks
Guaranteed I’d say, at that rate I’d take a wild guess and say that it’s well beyond cleaning.
I’d avoid driving until you get a replacement otherwise you might be looking at another turbocharger replacement.

Guaranteed I’d say, at that rate I’d take a wild guess and say that it’s well beyond cleaning.
I’d avoid driving until you get a replacement otherwise you might be looking at another turbocharger replacement.
Great thanks. I will do and looking at a replacement now.

Are they easy to remove and refit? Will I need to do anything via VCDS once new one is fitted. Thanks
If the van is off the ground on a lift. @mmi stated earlier regarding VCDS.
You might want to ensure that the front clamp and bolts are replaced as there have been cases of exhaust gas leakage if re-used, probably because they are de-formed.

Reactions: mmi
One other thing that happens is the soot mass measured goes down to 5.8g then immediately jumps to 24g.
Yes, I believe the measured is based simply on (expected) differential pressure across the DPF - taking into account engine RPM, intake air flow, EGR position, etc.
The jump in measured value is "transferred" into calculated which then initiates the DPF regen (the trigger level is 24 grams on your engine).

Will I need to do anything via VCDS once new one is fitted.
VCDS > Select (Control Module) > Engine > Adaptation > IDE07903-Adaptation of ash mass - reset to 0 g

Yes, I believe the measured is based simply on (expected) differential pressure across the DPF - taking into account engine RPM, intake air flow, EGR position, etc.
The jump in measured value is "transferred" into calculated which then initiates the DPF regen (the trigger level is 24 grams on your engine).

VCDS > Select (Control Module) > Engine > Adaptation > IDE07903-Adaptation of ash mass - reset to 0 g
Thanks

Reactions: mmi
Back