DPF Regen every 50Km. Excessive Oil consumption CXEB 150kw

Derek99B

Just a graph from Carista DPF Data and my Oil Consumption spreadsheet.
The graph was data collected on a journey down the M1, Sheffield to Leicester J21, cruise control at 70mph constant speed, but slightly hilly.
Oil measurements at the same parking place.
DPFPerformance24.pngOilConsumption24.png

DPFPerformance24.png

OilConsumption24.png

Attachments

• Log-YA16ZYD-WV2ZZZ7HZGH148115-241610km-150129mi.txt
    14.3 KB · Views: 2
Yikes. In 3 KM your soot went from 9-16g! Assuming you dont have a leak then your engine must be burning that oil and dumping it to the DPF. Does your tailpipe have soot if you rub your finger inside it?

Eek, doesn't look good! 274 miles per Litre at one point, needs looking at before the DPF is totally shot.

Yikes. In 3 KM your soot went from 9-16g! Assuming you dont have a leak then your engine must be burning that oil and dumping it to the DPF. Does your tailpipe have soot if you rub your finger inside it?
Inside the tailpipe is just normal light brown dust. It's also amazing that I never see black smoke in the mirrors or white oil smoke.

Hmmm.... looks like the log is an earlier one as it stops at 238907 km.

Thanks for sharing - very intriguing data!
Anyways, the same phenomena can be seen - e.g. below from 238579 km to 238763 km = 184 km, 2 hours.
Plotted the two soot mass parameters (calculated & measured) which are used by ECU to monitor and trigger DPF regeneration.

Normally "soot calculated" (blue) is the dominant one. Here it's a kind of opposite. As soon as "soot measured" reaches the DPF regeneration trigger level (30 grams) also the "calculated" is jumped to 30 grams which then forces the DPF regeneration to start.

I think "soot measured" is actually measuring/estimating DPF blockage level - by actually measuring differential pressure across the DPF.

1710354599689.png

The level area in "soot measured" above at from 11660 to 12090 seems to be a period at standstill engine idling - took advantage to verify differential pressure across the DPF at stable conditions (below) - turns out to be a stable 25.1 hPa (which is quite high). I guess the clogged DPF is the culprit for the too frequent DPF regenerations - ECU sees too high differential pressure and triggers the DPF regeneration to clean the blockage.

1710355488202.png

Also noted that DPF oil ash residue has been reset and currently value is only 2 grams which neither corresponds the mileage of the vehicle nor observed high differential pressure. Wondering if the discrepancy between differential pressure and DPF oil ash value confuses the ECU???

The log files look like made by Android version of VAG DPF app. Another fancy Android app dedicated to monitor T6 diesel engines even more deeply DPF conditions can be found here:

Hmmm.... looks like the log is an earlier one as it stops at 238907 km.

Thanks for sharing - very intriguing data!
Anyways, the same phenomena can be seen - e.g. below from 238579 km to 238763 km = 184 km, 2 hours.
Plotted the two soot mass parameters (calculated & measured) which are used by ECU to monitor and trigger DPF regeneration.

Normally "soot calculated" (blue) is the dominant one. Here it's a kind of opposite. As soon as "soot measured" reaches the DPF regeneration trigger level (30 grams) also the "calculated" is jumped to 30 grams which then forces the DPF regeneration to start.

I think "soot measured" is actually measuring/estimating DPF blockage level - by actually measuring differential pressure across the DPF.

View attachment 232866

The level area in "soot measured" at from 11660 to 12090 seems to be a period at standstill engine idling - took advantage to verify differential pressure across the DPF at stable conditions - turns out to be a stable 25.1 hPa (which is quite high). I guess the clogged DPF is the culprit for the too frequent DPF regenerations - ECU sees too high differential pressure and triggers the DPF regeneration to clean the blockage.

View attachment 232873

Noted that DPF oil ash residue has been reset and currently value is only 2 grams which neither corresponds the mileage of the vehicle nor observed high differential pressure. Wondering if the discrepancy between differential pressure and DPF oil ash value confuses the ECU???

The log files look like made by Android version. Another fancy Android app dedicated to monitor T6 diesel engines even more deeply DPF conditions can be found here:
WoW!!! Thanks for all that. I've installed Torque Pro and will give it a go later today, but only doing 8 miles each way today.
There's a lot to set up, so I'll get stuck into that.
More data attached, sorry, just clicked wrong file.
Ash residue..... Well....., I was stuck in limp mode, I was trying to force a regen by setting regen while driving, But it wouldn't trigger.( I didnt write down the soot or ash levels, but from memory around 72gm soot and can't remember ash.) So I went into IDE07903 and changed Adaption of Ash to 0.1. Then the orange regen light came on so I drove to Goole and back on M62, past home nearly to J29 ( I guess 40miles) when the light went off. Thanks for the help Derek

Attachments

• Vag_DPF_log240308.txt
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: mmi
@Derek99B that doesn't look good! It might be worth getting a compression check carried out to see if the rings/bores are sealing properly.

I had a 2006 Passat 2.0 Tdi that went through similar amounts of oil. Notably, it was worse on long motorway journey where I could often see 2-300 miles per litre.

In the end it was burnt out piston rings as a result (I was told) of either running low on oil or possibly running on petrol by mistake :oops:

Sat on the motorway, constantly on boost was just pressurising the sump (blowing by the rings) which pushed oil back into the intake where it burnt away. As you might imagine, we had major DPF issues too.

Back