Ecoflow Alternator Charger 800W

I'm looking to purchase a Delta 2 Max + Ecoflow Alternator Charger.
Would I connect the EAC to the van battery or my existing leisure battery?

I have a typical 12v setup, leisure battery under the drivers seat.
The 240v sockets only get power when hooked up via EHU.

I also have a smart charger to charge the leisure battery via EHU.

Apologies if this has been asked before, I have searched and found nothing.

Are there any auto electricians here in the North West?, I'd also be interested in a quote to remove my leisure battery completely and power everything via the Delta 2 Max.

Jim.

I'm looking to purchase a Delta 2 Max + Ecoflow Alternator Charger.
Would I connect the EAC to the van battery or my existing leisure battery?
The clue is in the name, it's an Alternator charger so needs to go as close to the Alternator as possible :thumbsup:

Pragmatically that normally means the starter battery in the front, just make sure that you connect the ground to the chassis and not the negative battery terminal so you don't bypass the van's battery monitor shunt.

If you have existing leisure system likely best to follow the wiring route that feeds the DC charging for that. If you have a T6.1 you likely have a spare Hugh current feed on the plate fuse on the top of the battery, in a T6 you may need to do a little more work to ensure you have an additional high current connection from the positive terminal.

Something like this combined fuse and bus bar may allow you to split your existing DC feed into two:

Fitted the Ecoflow Alternator Charger a couple of weeks ago. Easy install once I'd Identified a way through the bulkhead firewall. Really impressed so far especially with the ability to top off the van battery from my Delta 2 the Charge the Delta back up to 100% from 85% in the space of a half hour drive. Definitely gets my vote over a solar system for my situation and considerably cheaper.

Fitted the Ecoflow Alternator Charger a couple of weeks ago. Easy install once I'd Identified a way through the bulkhead firewall. Really impressed so far especially with the ability to top off the van battery from my Delta 2 the Charge the Delta back up to 100% from 85% in the space of a half hour drive. Definitely gets my vote over a solar system for my situation and considerably cheaper.
Where did you mount the EcoFlow Alternator Charger? Im considering purchasing one.

How did you route the cable and did you earth it to the chassis? Cheers

How did you route the cable and did you earth it to the chassis? Cheers
Routed from inside the van via the top of the passenger wheel arch breach in the fire wall. It comes out to the rear of the battery compartment. Red to battery, black to the head light bracket with a little scraping to ensure a good earth. Inside I routed the cable under the dash behind the glove box, the under the plastic centre console into the cable channel between the seats. 90 degree turn at the rear of the drivers seat and depending on where you want to mount it that’s pretty much as far as I took it.

Fitting mine this Sunday. As someone already suggested, there is a gromet in the floor under passenger seat (RHD) for existing factory lume. I intend to drop down through this and then inside the plastic floor trays and back up into the engine bay. Going to leave the cable coiled up under the seat and only plug the portable unit when I need it for trips away.

Question: I'm sure Dellmassive will know the answer to this... Is the 180amp van Alternator enough to charge at the full 800w ? I am aware you can reduce the 800w charge rate within the app if necessary.

Thank you.

Question: I'm sure Dellmassive will know the answer to this... Is the 180amp van Alternator enough to charge at the full 800w ? I am aware you can reduce the 800w charge rate within the app if necessary.
800w at 12v is 800/12 so 67A.

Generally if you stick to 1/3 of the rated alternator output you should be OK - keep in mind the alternator is only going to reach that level at higher revs.

Consider dropping the rate a little, especially in the winter when you may have heated screens running. A slightly lower charge rate is kinder on the cells in the power pack anyway - the ideal is that you get it just charged in the length of your normal drive - you can always boost it if you have a period of heavy use.

When grounding also remember that the same 67A is flowing through the ground so it needs to be a good clean connection with decent surface area.

Hi, I have just been reading with interest the above posts and comments about the Delta 2 Max + Ecoflow Alternator Charger.
Firstly I have a 2018 T32 Highline 150 fully converted, and i would like someone to re-affirm the alternator size on this model, is it 180amp as its the Highline ?
secondly will it be powerful enough to charge the Delta 2 Max without overheating issues, as there are some posts online stating this can happen,
also any of you that may have fitted this setup, is there a preferred charge setting that works without going for the full 800w setting as I would have thought
this would be giving the alternator a lot of extra work to do and therefore cause the alternator to overheat, any advice and your views on this matter would be very welcome.

Only just fitted mine yesterday... A quick test, showed it was charging at the full 800w even on tick over, sitting on the drive. I would normally only charge when driving though, this will obviously help to keep the alternator cooler. The inline fuse EcoFlow supply is 125amp this is a bit high for the cables I'm led to believe so I'm changing mine to 100amp fuse.

Yes if you have a Highline is should be 180amp Alternator, but you can ring VW (local parts dept is easiest) and give them your Reg or Chassis number, they will confirm what spec Alternator was fitted from factory. I did this to double check and mine does have the180amp.

I’m planning on fitting one of these but have a startline. Is my alternator not as powerful as a high line’s?

Only just fitted mine yesterday... A quick test, showed it was charging at the full 800w even on tick over, sitting on the drive. I would normally only charge when driving though, this will obviously help to keep the alternator cooler. The inline fuse EcoFlow supply is 125amp this is a bit high for the cables I'm led to believe so I'm changing mine to 100amp fuse.

Yes if you have a Highline is should be 180amp Alternator, but you can ring VW (local parts dept is easiest) and give them your Reg or Chassis number, they will confirm what spec Alternator was fitted from factory. I did this to double check and mine does have the180amp.
thanks for the reply, will av a look into getting one thanks.

A quick test, showed it was charging at the full 800w even on tick over, sitting on the drive.
Keep in mind that your source of power isn't exclusively the alternator, it's the whole engine 12v system, so you will be potentially drawing from the battery as well if the alternator is not at full power.

It's not normally possible to end up with a net drain on the starter battery with the engine running but putting an additional ~70A load on a nominal 180A alternator at tickover RPM it is a good way to try - be careful.

Keep in mind that your source of power isn't exclusively the alternator, it's the whole engine 12v system, so you will be potentially drawing from the battery as well if the alternator is not at full power.

It's not normally possible to end up with a net drain on the starter battery with the engine running but putting an additional ~70A load on a nominal 180A alternator at tickover RPM it is a good way to try - be careful.
Thanks for the heads up. :)

I did notice the battery voltage dropping, it shows in the app, but cleverly the app allows you to adjust the start up voltage which is handy, as if you set to 12v and it drops below this the Alternator charger stops drawing.

Can you tell me please who is the place to order both items off IE,
thanks for the reply, will av a look into getting one thanks.
Who is the best place to order both items from and how long is delivery from placing the order

Can you tell me please who is the place to order both items off IE,

Who is the best place to order both items from and how long is delivery from placing the order
Alternator Charger: EcoFlow direct online

100amp Fuse: eBay

Last edited:

Thanks for that how long did delivery take?

Back