EGR blocked again

cleave14

T6 Pro
Hi, I had the insufficient flow fault on my 102 T6 a few years ago. I thought fair enough 50k on the clock. Not overly pleased but was expecting it at some point and so had the EGR valve and cooler replaced using OEM parts.

What's really annoying is that after only two years and 14k it's blocked again. No leaks anywhere and the mechanic says it looks pretty coked up after removing the pipe.

Has anyone else had this after so few miles? I'm feeling a bit gutted if I need to spend £1000 plus on this every two years.

Anyway, any thoughts welcome

cheers

I'm with you. Sounds horrible.
What sort of driving do you do? Motorways/short journeys etc?

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I do short journeys mostly but always get in a few motorway runs per month.

Mpg looks okay. Same as ever I think.

I was poised to do the delete, but backed out in the end. It’s a big debate. There’s the engine warm up to which the Egr contributes, and it also seems to contribute somehow to dpf regen, then there’s the combustion temperatures which the engine is designed to run at. I would love to delete it but I’m just doubtful about it.

The mechanic mentioned the possibility of burning oil which could cause it to clog quite quickly but I thought that was more of a problem with the 180 and 204ps engines. I’ve never even thought to check the dipstick, but never had an oil light come on or the mechanic never mentioned that it had got low when servicing, but it’s something I’ll start to keep an eye on.

Anyone use any additives as a kind of preventative maintenance for the Egr cooler?

Also, you guys who have had deletes. How long have you had the mod for? Euro 6 engine? Any dpf issues since?

Cheers

VW will not replace an egr until they have done 5 flushes, I’ve just had my second flush in 2 years (2018 65k miles), I’d try the flush route first and see how long that lasts

yep had it deleted a couple of years back now, no issue's what so ever.

All you have to do if you do a lot of short journeys is make sure that you give it a good run every 2-3 weeks, i got the the DPF monitor app and keep an eye on things that way and it been fine.

That’s quite reassuring Phil. Do you think it’s important the way the map is done or is it pretty standard? Who did yours?

VW will not replace an egr until they have done 5 flushes, I’ve just had my second flush in 2 years (2018 65k miles), I’d try the flush route first and see how long that lasts
That’s interesting. How much do they charge?

That’s quite reassuring Phil. Do you think it’s important the way the map is done or is it pretty standard? Who did yours?
I think it's a fairly simple process but i'm not sure whats involved in doing it in isolation as mine was done as part of a full performance map.

The map made a world of difference to the drivability of the van, it was done by Chris (Davtec) but it's a bit far from where you are to Chesterfield.

Good to know your van is running so well. I was offered the same by fred in western super mare who I think works in conjunction with Chris but I chickened out with 5 speed gear box worries.

Is yours the 102ps as well?

I recall one of the mapping companies withdrew their re-map for the 102 as the EU6 used a different turbo to earlier versions which was prone to failure after mapping.

I think I’ll go for the swap. Use an additive. And if the the Egr fails again after 14k miles I’ll map it out. and probably not go for the upgrade in torque.

Back