EGR Issue - Delete the right way forward?

De40

Hi all,

recently purchased my first camper (private seller). It has 122k miles on the clock and is a 2017 T2 2.0. A few weeks after purchase the engine light came on after a 300 mile trip. Seems to be running OK but a bit of rough idling I guess (but nothing major). I rang the code check and got back p0401 - insufficient air flow EGR. So I guess the EGR is blocked or the value is faulty?

Hefty quote for the mechanic. Wondering if I need to bother to replace the EGR or I can just go ahead and get a software delete done? Or would having a issue with the EGR along with a delete still cause an issue?

Sorry, a bit of a novice with the technicals.

Might be of use......

If your egr is deleted and blanked off then the codes will go away together with all your egr problems. Since mine was done my dpf regens have been same as before. I don’t do many short journeys though.

You would need to remove the EGR and buying a blanking kit for the pipes. Then get it mapped out of ecu.
When my EGR in my trusty works van went for the 3rd time I bit the bullet and had it removed and mapped out.
Vans been great since

You would need to remove the EGR and buying a blanking kit for the pipes. Then get it mapped out of ecu.
When my EGR in my trusty works van went for the 3rd time I bit the bullet and had it removed and mapped out.
Vans been great since
It’s just mapped out and left in place. The blanking plates stop any exhaust gases leaking past the egr valve. The coolant still passes through. For MOT purposes it looks factory. Mine has passed a couple of MOTs since we put it to sleep.

It’s just mapped out and left in place. The blanking plates stop any exhaust gases leaking past the egr valve. The coolant still passes through. For MOT purposes it looks factory. Mine has passed a couple of MOTs since we put it to sleep.
Can you remember what the cost was of the blank and then the map?

Back