EGR Sensor 'A' (EGR Sensor '1')

Hello all.
Picked up this thread as I have a CXGB engine (2018, 156k miles) with the insufficient gas fault code, with 'engine' light on.
Mentioned to my friend who is a mechanics lecturer and said he would be keen to diagnose and fault find other issues, and he would get his mate who is a lead technician at a VW van centre to help him.
Even go so far as taking the cooler out and looking inside (with a new one on standby - on that score, do TPS accept parts back that have not been unpacked/fitted?)
Of course, I am not going to turn an offer like that down!!!!!!
Interesting to read about potential other causes as it seems the 'insufficient gas' code is triggered by a calculation from all sorts if inputs rather than just a yes/no from one single source.
@GavMc P11GT - any joy with the dpf clean?
Hiya buddy I did try and clean the egr however while it did clear the warning light for a day or two it didn’t last long. So I stripped the EGR off separating the sensor from the cooler. The cooler wasn’t too bad or so I thought on initial inspection however I soaked it overnight in a bucket of neat TFR cleaner then blasted it out with the jet wash it really surprised me how coked up it was.

I re soaked it for about 4 hours and cleared the cooler this time it was like new.

I replaced the sensor part I bought that from AUTODOC see here. Hey, check out PIERBURG EGR Module in the AUTODOC app https://m.autodoc.co.uk/pierburg/15802115

GSF car parts do them but there was no stock locally the one from AUTODOC was indeed the same as the original manufacturer and was supplied with the gasket that goes between it and the cooler.

I had to get new gaskets for the pipe work from tps.

Up till now we are a few thousand in and it appears to be sweet.

Hope this helps!

I've just stripped and cleaned the EGR on my van. 2016 T6 104 SWB (euro6) manual. #teamsilver

Some notes:
The steel pipe under the EGR can be bent down about 10mm, just enough to expose the nut behind it (lower left nut as you look from the right), fairly easy to get a deep socket on it then. put some pressure with your hand on the front of the pipe in front of the EGR, underneath the two steel pipes attached to the front.

The hard bit was the screw on the front of the EGR holding the two steel pipes in place, that was painful. I had to reach up from underneath with a small wrench, good job I have skinny arms!

Didn’t remove the starter.

I split the egr exchanger and valve and soaked in a bucket of strong sodium hydroxide solution overnight, washed out with garden hose. This stuff is NASTY, I wore gloves and goggles and got one small drop on my arm, it started stinging almost immediately. It took a long time to flush the black sludge out with the hose, seemed to go on forever.

drained coolant from the pipe just under the front bumper, replaced coolant with G13, about 5 litres.

The take apart manual from the VIP section was invaluable and worth a forum subscription on its own.

also I have a cheap £10 USB endoscope that connects to my phone and I used that to get some of the bolts back in, pretty impossible to see many of them, highly recommended.

No idea if this will solve the issues (P0101 errors), early days, but fingers crossed.

also there was a huge amount of black gunge that came out and soaking it for 2 hours was NOT enough. it needs to soak overnight.
Theres no way one of those cans of EGR spray cleaner is going to make much of a difference to a clogged EGR. ok for regular maintenance maybe.

Hello,

I just replaced the EGR valve and cooler on my CXGB 2016 T6 and it seems to be running well. Do I need to do any calibration / adaptation with VCDS or similar?

Back