Fault code P0299 Boost - 2019 Crafter

It took a while but I’m glad i
Was able to get the tin the right conclusion myself in the end…. I’m a heating engineer by trade so only motor mechanics by hobby and necessity…. My usual stuff is old aircooled VW’s so a world Apart from the complexities of modern diesels

Interestingly, improves a turbo at liverpoll
Vw commercial today, it was cheaper for a new one than a recon one from them but still over £2k!

The guy at vagtec Nw was great in explaining , at least I can buy the part with a degree confidence now so happy with the outcome.

He said to use midland turbos, and to ask for my turbo to be reconditioned rather than take an off the shelf recon part.

It will Be a couple Of Weeks now before I can get the turbo off and a replacement on but I’ll update this thread with the outcome incase it helps someone else with a silimar issue….

Thanks everyone for your input and help , especially to MMI, who has the patience of a saint

Reactions: mmi
Hi, thought I’d check in on this thread to update, just incase anyone had followed it….

The van went into vagtecNw and the guy diagnosed the turbo not quite making actual boost in-line with the specified boost, just at some upper Limits, this showed as pressure at the charge air inlet or more to the point, a lack of it. It wasn’t out by a huge amount but enough to throw a fault.

He asked Me If the van had Been remapped. I didn’t know as the van is new to me, previous owner didn’t mention it. But he said it had plenty of poke.
It’s likely the map is Looking for a higher
Amount of Boost and the worn turbo can’t quite make it.
He also said it woukd Prob be ok in a standard map.

Anyway, the turbo came off and
Went to midland turbo. They called
Today and said thrust bearing was knackered.

There are two causes for this, oil starvation, or an over zealous aggressive map.

I had checked the turbos oil lines on removal, both seemed to blow through clear. With no issue of Blockage.
It did get me thinking about how I mentioned above that the oil change I did , did seem to reduce the frequency of the po299 unferboost fault…. So maybe there was somthing in it after all…. Maybe wrong oil, maybe dirty oil, maybe fuel In oil……..?
Maybe….. I’m suspicious of the fuel
In oil theory as I have an oil leak from crankshaft oil seal (which I’ll address when po299 issue is resolved), the oil seems to leak and spread quickly around the oil seal and
Sump , as if its viscosity has been thinned a bit but diesel…. Maybe this is the issue?

Anyhoo, I’ve still
Got to remove two broken exhaust manifold studs before the turbo comes back, and investigate the situation with oil before i refit the overhauled turbo.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmi
Back