Hookup + Leisure battery or Potable Power Pack

Fully installed setup will always be best.... For a camper, day van, etc.

A mobile battery bank will be suitable for the very infrequent traveler or occasional day trip.

Why?.

Well it's all about charging.

I have the various battery boxes including the monster AC200MAX... I'll be looking at getting a delta max soon.

One common factor across all the boxes is the 8A / 75w charge rate from the vans 12v source.

Sure you can charge them at 600w at home via the mains....... But when mobile you have to you 12v 8A input or solar panels.

To get a fast charge from solar you need 800w and strong sun...... thats not practical on a van.

That means that a 25A DC-DC charger won't help you as you can't charge at the 25A rate.(most boxes are current limited to 8A@12v.. but the are a few exceptions that go a bit higher)

So this means you will need to be driving 16 hours a day to recharge a flat delta max 1600.... So again not practical.

You plug into EHU for a recharge...... But if you have EHU, you don't need a battery box.

Also look at the life cycles of these battery boxes... The delta max shows 500-800 cycles to 80% SoH.. due to the MNC cell chemistry. (But lighter weight and faster charge than lifepo4)

Compaired to say the bluetti which uses lifepo4 cell tech and shows 4000+ charge cycles to 50/80 SoH.... (But heavier in weight)

So it's a Ballance.....

If your camper runs the box flat over night...... Can you recharge it the following day off grid? --- if yes then try a mobile box.

If no then try a fixed install.

Have a look at my thread on them.....

Also take a look a great video at the end.

Another valid option is a hybrid install.

When you fit a lifepo4 lithium battery in an mobile box..... But then have a dc-dc charger fitted so you can fast charge from the van engine.

Average DC-DC charger is about 25A..... I run a Renogy dc50s which is a 50A charger.

Here's my thread on that.....

Thanks.
Also cost. Leisure install come in at about £1000 with all bit and labour. The power pack is double the price, so even more reason for a fixed install.

Yes... You can get a 100ah (1200wh) Renogy lifpo4 for around £400 ish.

And a 50A dc50s for about £250.

Some cable and fuses, say £150

Plus some labor, or get some chums together to help run the cables .... Then take it somewhere to get terminated and tested.

Lots of T6 people try a self install with success.

Take a look at my battery thread ...

Take a look at the DC-DC charger thread....

And the solar thread....

here is an idea of what people have done. . .

ultimatly IMHO . .

i think its best to have both . .

an installed setup for the van . .

and a smaller mobile battery pack to carry around with you.

compared to one large solar generator fitted in the van. . .

the 400wh-800wh seems to be the sweet spot

My son was about to buy an estate vehicle to carry their bikes to races and possibly overnighting. However he’s got lucky as his mother in law has just donated her old but immaculate Toyota Aygo to them. Although it’s not very cool he’s not going to refuse a gift horse so he’s having a rethink. He’ll buy roof bars for the bikes and a small tent. Seems a solar generator would be perfect to keep them topped up for a weekends racing.

Any thoughts on Ecoflow River Max vs Bluetti EB55 please @Dellmassive ?

I will be charging it either indoors via the mains or from the van ignition +12v.

Only occasional use and unlikely to flatten it in 3-4hours between driving - van is a Kombi not a camper and will be running USBs and LED lights from DC1255 and small kettle/Velvetiser from the inverter.

I like the increased lifecycles of the Bluetti but also like the app on the Ecoflow.

That's a tricky one as they are very similar matched.

The river built quality and App are excellent.. the display is also very nice.

But the eb55 will last 5x times longer.....

Eb55.
537wh.700w/1400w.lifepo4(2500 cycles to 80%).

River .
730wh.600w/1200w. NMC (500 cycles to 80%) faster charge. Has APP.

So if you want fancy Wiz bang and are not to worried the the charge cycles - get the river.

If you are money conscious and want the longer lasting product to get value to money - get the EB55.

You won't be disappointed with either.

I have the River pro and love it.

But don't discount the new kid on the block. - ANKER.

I've got the 521 and the 757...

No app, but excellent build quality, lifepo4 and similar specs to others.

They may be later to the market...... But have used that time well to design boxes that fix some issues from other manufacturers.

More info here.....

Just revisiting this thread because I went down the portable battery bank route with an AllPowers S700 (606wh) but it failed after a couple of months.

I got a full refund and told to keep the faulty unit so I sold that for £150 on fleabay.

Couple of observations:

It was nice to have everything in a shoebox sized unit - USB, USB C, 12v and a 700w inverter.
I located the unit under the Kombi bench in a box that also doubles as storage and rear speaker box so ‘installation’ consisted of running an ignition live to trickle charge it and fitting DC5521 plugs to my 12v sockets and lights
The BT app was very useful to see the current status of charge, but also to turn on and off the DC and AC outputs as the unit was in the box behind the seats

On the minus side…

606wh @ 12v = 50ah so half a typical leisure battery capacity
It only charged at 100w via the ignition live which = approx 8A so much less than a DC-DC provides
It was dead after a couple of months

So I am now reconsidering my options:

The Ecoflow River 2 Max is a 512wh LiFePO4 so better battery technology but still equivalent to only around 50ah £549
The Ecoflow River 2 Pro is 768wh so equivalent to 65ah but this is £750

I don’t know if I need the portability or not - in the two months I had the AllPowers I only used it in the van to power the cctv, mobile internet, lights and usb plus the inverter got used for making hot choc in the Velvetiser. I didn’t use it in the house for example.

I drive the van every other day typically for 1-2 hours so with the cctv camera and mobile broadband running 247 (approx 3w) it was keeping the battery topped up ok but it did go flat a couple of times so had to run a mains cable out to the van to recharge it.

If I went leisure battery install the costs are roughly…

AGM 110ah battery - £150
Victron 30a DC-DC - £220
1000w inverter - £155
Split charge cabling kit - £40

Total - £565 or almost £1k if LiFeP04 equivalent.

It would be good to have the extra capacity (approx double Ah) but then it is more of an install and harder to recharge by the mains if it did go flat.

Just revisiting this thread because I went down the portable battery bank route with an AllPowers S700 (606wh) but it failed after a couple of months.

I got a full refund and told to keep the faulty unit so I sold that for £150 on fleabay.

Couple of observations:

It was nice to have everything in a shoebox sized unit - USB, USB C, 12v and a 700w inverter.
I located the unit under the Kombi bench in a box that also doubles as storage and rear speaker box so ‘installation’ consisted of running an ignition live to trickle charge it and fitting DC5521 plugs to my 12v sockets and lights
The BT app was very useful to see the current status of charge, but also to turn on and off the DC and AC outputs as the unit was in the box behind the seats

On the minus side…

606wh @ 12v = 50ah so half a typical leisure battery capacity
It only charged at 100w via the ignition live which = approx 8A so much less than a DC-DC provides
It was dead after a couple of months

So I am now reconsidering my options:

The Ecoflow River 2 Max is a 512wh LiFePO4 so better battery technology but still equivalent to only around 50ah £549
The Ecoflow River 2 Pro is 768wh so equivalent to 65ah but this is £750

I don’t know if I need the portability or not - in the two months I had the AllPowers I only used it in the van to power the cctv, mobile internet, lights and usb plus the inverter got used for making hot choc in the Velvetiser. I didn’t use it in the house for example.

I drive the van every other day typically for 1-2 hours so with the cctv camera and mobile broadband running 247 (approx 3w) it was keeping the battery topped up ok but it did go flat a couple of times so had to run a mains cable out to the van to recharge it.

If I went leisure battery install the costs are roughly…

AGM 110ah battery - £150
Victron 30a DC-DC - £220
1000w inverter - £155
Split charge cabling kit - £40

Total - £565 or almost £1k if LiFeP04 equivalent.

It would be good to have the extra capacity (approx double Ah) but then it is more of an install and harder to recharge by the mains if it did go flat.

Surely the capacity is similar, AGM should only be discharged to 50% on a regular basis?

You are absolutely correct and I overlooked this because I am an idiot. :whistle:

I will be buying an Ecoflow River 2 Max or Pro - just waiting to see if any money off on Friday but doubtful as they only just released the Max and the Pro is currently unavailable.

Back