Hookup + Leisure battery or Potable Power Pack

I will be buying an Ecoflow River 2 Max or Pro - just waiting to see if any money off on Friday but doubtful as they only just released the Max and the Pro is currently unavailable.
Once bitten, twice shy. You’ve had one poor experience with the “all in one solution”. Maybe time to look at a “proper” leisure battery installation. The problem with the all in one, is that if one tiny cheap component dies, you end up junking the whole kit & caboodle. With a LB setup, you can choose the best bits & build your own system. If one bit subsequently fails, you can just swap that particular component.
Just my 2 penneth.

I will be buying an Ecoflow River 2 Max or Pro - just waiting to see if any money off on Friday but doubtful as they only just released the Max and the Pro is currently unavailable.
Check it out the new Anker 2000w offering.....

THQ has the river pro at 699 l

I saw that thank you - the new River 2 Pro is LiFePo whereas the one they are flogging is the older one.

Once bitten, twice shy. You’ve had one poor experience with the “all in one solution”. Maybe time to look at a “proper” leisure battery installation. The problem with the all in one, is that if one tiny cheap component dies, you end up junking the whole kit & caboodle. With a LB setup, you can choose the best bits & build your own system. If one bit subsequently fails, you can just swap that particular component.
Just my 2 penneth.

I agree with this but I am also lazy - the thought of running the cables and messing about with the battery under the seat leaves me cold. For an AGM based Victron/Renogy system it is comparable cost to the EcoFlow River 2 Max but if the leisure battery was a LiFePo it would be over a grand.

Check it out the new Anker 2000w offering.....

Too rich for me but looks nice

So I am still on the fence about an EcoFlow River Pro 2 vs a leisure battery, DC-DC and inverter.

• I do not have the budget for a LiFeP04 leisure battery
  • The outlay of either the EcoFlow or the leisure battery setup needs to be around £550
  • I need to run a Velvetiser or camping kettle so need 600W approx

Is a deep cycle AGM going to enable me to discharge it below the 50% that people have mentioned? what is going to happen to the battery in real terms if it does regularly get used down to 20% for example?

I am looking at Renogy vs Victron and want bluetooth so I can see 'stuff'

Is a deep cycle AGM going to enable me to discharge it below the 50% that people have mentioned?
- what happens is the battery voltage drops so low the inverter will shut down with low voltage alarm. ( so unless you have a very low draw, you cant use the 0-50% portion of the battery anyway - especially for a 600w load)

what is going to happen to the battery in real terms if it does regularly get used down to 20% for example?
- the battery SOH will degrade rapidly, some batterys will be perminantly damaged if run flat a few times.

eg:

1669373478176.png1669373488800.png

+++

+++

rough AGM SOC chart . .

1669373722353.png

++++

vs

++++

a rough Lifepo4 chart,

1669373846186.png

++++++

and rough SOH vs DOD chart for lifepo4,

1669373896087.png

+++++++

Last edited:
Thanks @Dellmassive

Normal 247 draw on the leisure battery/ecoflow is just 2-3w - this is the TPLink CCTV camera and the mobile broadband dongle.

As the van gets used every couple of days I don't expect the battery to get too low as it will trickle charge back up. It is a Kombi rather than a camper so no fridge etc.

Occasionally will be using the 12v USB socket to charge a phone or camera and also got a couple of 12v LED lights in the back.

The inverter would only be used once a week to make 2 cups of hot choc or tea. So I can't see it ever shutting off due to low battery, however you never know we might want 4x cups of hot choc!

added additional info to post above for a better visual example

Well my indecisiveness might just have made a decision for me :rolleyes:

The River 2 Max is now showing as delivery within 4-5 weeks so I have missed out.

I've ordered a EF River 2, (256wh)

It wasn't on a black Friday deal, but did use voucher I had for them...

But still 4-5 week lead time.

In time for Xmas maybe.....?

And useful for any coming power cuts, I’ve got a gut feeling they will be coming our way, be prepared
Indeed....

Though I very much doubt we'll will have any power cuts here in London .....

But if there are I've enough Power packs to see us good for a week... And have those backed up with a couple of awesome Honda gennies...

The mighty EU10i and EU22i.

Screenshot_20221128_081558_Chrome.jpg

Talking of gennies....

Have people seen the new Honda EU32i....

View attachment 180531

Yes indeed, I’ve got a new Honda 22i Ready, just waiting the the Electrician to wire up a change over switch in the garage so we can run our boiler, we are on heating oil, so only need about 700 watts to fire up the boiler to fill the hot water tank, mainly so we can have a hot shower.. got a mountain of wood and coal for the stove , oh and about 6 weeks supply of food, just for insurance purposes
It’s really worth watching an old Channel four doc/drama called Blackout, it’s on YouTube, about an 1 hour long shows what could happen with just a two week nationwide power cut,

Yes indeed, I’ve got a new Honda 22i Ready, just waiting the the Electrician to wire up a change over switch in the garage so we can run our boiler, we are on heating oil, so only need about 700 watts to fire up the boiler to fill the hot water tank, mainly so we can have a hot shower.. got a mountain of wood and coal for the stove , oh and about 6 weeks supply of food, just for insurance purposes
It’s really worth watching an old Channel four doc/drama called Blackout, it’s on YouTube, about an 1 hour long shows what could happen with just a two week nationwide power cut,
Standard procedure in rural Devon, my biggest worry is law and order breaking down and somebody looting my beetroot from the garden!
On the serious side there are some poor buggers just over 2000 miles east who will have it far worse than us.

Standard procedure in rural Devon, my biggest worry is law and order breaking down and somebody looting my beetroot from the garden!
On the serious side there are some poor buggers just over 2000 miles east who will have it far worse than us.
Absolutely, in a way I’m doing what i can so we could help some of our elderly neighbours and less prepared etc, we just can’t rely on the local council/ UK government to come to the Rescue..

I’m also sharing this pain, to go full leisure battery setup or Ecoflow (or other portable battery).

Ideal scenario for me is to use the Ecoflow as the power source for my van portable fridge, led lights and a few usb ports in an panel. I will charge the battery from my solar panel or from AC when I have an electric pitch. Portable loads will be laptop, small heater, fan, hair straightnear/dryer.

The Ecoflow DC out I hope can be used to power a side panel to control LED lights and give USB sockets. The panel has 2 x 12v sockets on it, one could be panel power source in, the other 12v to power the compressor fridge. I could also power the fridge from the AC out on the Ecoflow perhaps.

I’m hoping to take the Ecoflow DC output using a cig lighter male to male cable, one end plugging into the Ecoflow, then other into the panel cig lighter socket providing it incoming power.

So can you use an Ecoflow in this way or am I way off? :thumbsdown::rolleyes:

I’m also sharing this pain, to go full leisure battery setup or Ecoflow (or other portable battery).

Ideal scenario for me is to use the Ecoflow as the power source for my van portable fridge, led lights and a few usb ports in an panel. I will charge the battery from my solar panel or from AC when I have an electric pitch. Portable loads will be laptop, small heater, fan, hair straightnear/dryer.

The Ecoflow DC out I hope can be used to power a side panel to control LED lights and give USB sockets. The panel has 2 x 12v sockets on it, one could be panel power source in, the other 12v to power the compressor fridge. I could also power the fridge from the AC out on the Ecoflow perhaps.

I’m hoping to take the Ecoflow DC output using a cig lighter male to male cable, one end plugging into the Ecoflow, then other into the panel cig lighter socket providing it incoming power.

So can you use an Ecoflow in this way or am I way off? :thumbsdown::rolleyes:
I’d like to do the same with mine, did you manage to get lights hooked up to it?

The cigarette style sockets are not very secure for this use and limited to 8A continuous.

You'd be better off using the DC barrel jack outputs that most have. Just make sure you buy a heavy guage cable suitable for the current, it might be easier to buy a ready made lead and cut one end off to wire into some form of distribution.

Rather than feeding new 12v to 5v usb converters that way I'd just make extension leads for any existing USB outputs if possible.

It's a shame power packs don't provide a high current output on something like an XT60 connector for this type of use.

The cigarette style sockets are not very secure for this use and limited to 8A continuous.

You'd be better off using the DC barrel jack outputs that most have. Just make sure you buy a heavy guage cable suitable for the current, it might be easier to buy a ready made lead and cut one end off to wire into some form of distribution.

Rather than feeding new 12v to 5v usb converters that way I'd just make extension leads for any existing USB outputs if possible.

It's a shame power packs don't provide a high current output on something like an XT60 connector for this type of use.

So something along the lines of this? BKL 072016 DC Connecting Cable Red Black 2.1mm Straight Plug
would it be that simple to hook roof spots to that and plug it in to my Ecoflow?

Back