How.... how do you afford a van?

We have a rear kitchen layout.

It means a permanently installed bench toilet in the rear quarter.

It was one of the non-negotiables when we got the van.

Off-grid camping possible, no late-night or early-morning dashes to the loo block, more basic sites open up (Lyndon Top is just brilliant), no searching for public WCs, just find a car park and draw the shades.

No question, one of the best things about the van.

Off-grid camping possible, no late-night or early-morning dashes to the loo block, more basic sites open up (Lyndon Top is just brilliant), no searching for public WCs, just find a car park and draw the shades.

This does sound pretty awesome. I've always been of the mindset that it has to be a rock n roll bed format as the boys (now grown up and gone) would need seats whilst driving but I guess we can rule that out for the 'practice van' hehe

Reactions: CAB
Add it to the mortgage and get the best base van you can.

You only live once! If you have enough equity in your house do it. No way I could have found the money otherwise

We did this and I like the van more than my house so the question is why I borrowed money to buy that sh*thole not the van

That's my brother-in-laws way of doing things. Fair play he's had some flashy cars, but he's 50 and still has a £300k mortgage.

At the risk of going off thread, we have just bought one of these new Whizzer toilet options. Only tested at home so far but it seems a good product. Maybe it could be a deal changer @Badjamin, or maybe not!

I have a 2012 VW California Beach that I will be selling (on behalf of mother-in-law)in a few weeks! Given that I passed it to her when I bought my current VW Beach, I know exactly what the van has done and what have been done to the van! Just saying!

Edit: it comes with a porta-potti that has NEVER been used (just so you can let Senior Management know!)

Last edited:
That's my brother-in-laws way of doing things. Fair play he's had some flashy cars, but he's 50 and still has a £300k mortgage.
I’ve had one van and basically in that position before getting it so sod it

I have a 2012 VW California Beach that I will be selling (on behalf of mother-in-law)in a few weeks! Given that I passed it to her when I bought my current VW Beach, I know exactly what the van has done and what have been done to the van! Just saying!

Edit: it comes with a porta-potti that has NEVER been used (just so you can let Senior Management know!)
What sorta money is she wanting?

I like you always wanted a T5 back in the day I am a builder by trade so needed it for a van plus family on a wkend and it does this brilliantly being a kombi. I can’t say I’ve ever had the urge to be a full blown camper but it’s bloddy brilliant at the stuff I need it to do. I see so many mums driving them these days as you can chuck as much crap in the back as you like and plenty of room for the kids and dogs etc. I saved and was fortunate to be able to walk into dealers and pay cash for my T6 which gave me a great sense of achievement.
Like many of said and great thread by the way think with your head and not your heart just think why you need it and what would be the best way for you to convert etc. My neighbour bought a panel van spent ages converting it and thousands in the process turning it into a camper used it a few wkends then sold it as was sat on the drive most of the year! Anyway best of luck and looking forward to hearing what you decide :thumbsup:

Is there a photo of that setup anywhere. Not sure I've seen that before.

Great thread here. I first drove a transporter a few years ago. Normal base spec cheap hire van. It was the worst I'd ever driven. We had a 73 plate panel van as curtousy van the other week and again it was terrible. No drivers leg room and squashed into a 2 seater bench with the wife was uncomfortable. I didn't originaly want a T6,.We were actually contemplating upgrading our Touran but went and seen a Kombi and knew we had to have it. First one seen and bought. Thought it would be great for sleeping in and weekends away. Wasn't. Bought a kombi bed and the wife hated it. Couldn't sleep in it tried a few times and sold the bed. Still got the van and wife, but the van is a totally different drive to the first one I drove. Does everything I want, loads of room behind the seats and my 24yr old loves it that much, it's become his daily. (Lucky sod). Just bear in mind, the bulkhead in place makes a big difference to the drive of the van and also it may not tick the boxes you want, you may just need to tweek them ticks and adapt. Enjoy it.

Reactions: CAB
Looking back thru the thread cost of Running comes up a lot I don’t find it any worse than most vehicles I’ve owned! Also reliability people only mainly post problems they’ve experienced! I’ve had mine 5 years now and it’s never let me down I’ve serviced it every year when it’s in for its MOT (average 7-8000 a year) I had the cam belt done for peace of mind but it’s been the most reliable vehicle I’ve owned! I had a caddy before this for 10 years and only failed 1 mot on something silly I’ve had many makes of cars and they’ve all let me down in one way or another I’ve now had 5 vw’s on the bounce and they’ve all been brilliant so there a big thumbs up from me!

Looking back thru the thread cost of Running comes up a lot I don’t find it any worse than most vehicles I’ve owned! Also reliability people only mainly post problems they’ve experienced! I’ve had mine 5 years now and it’s never let me down I’ve serviced it every year when it’s in for its MOT (average 7-8000 a year) I had the cam belt done for peace of mind but it’s been the most reliable vehicle I’ve owned! I had a caddy before this for 10 years and only failed 1 mot on something silly I’ve had many makes of cars and they’ve all let me down in one way or another I’ve now had 5 vw’s on the bounce and they’ve all been brilliant so there a big thumbs up from me!

Same here, I've done just over 40K miles over nearly 5 years and during that time only had to spend money on tyres and rear brake pads. I service it myself every year.
Insurance is same as my wife's car and fuel consumption is the same too, but I can fit two Kayaks in my van!

Good luck in actually getting a Van in the future. Although Tax, Insurance, running costs and ever increasing site fees will be your next hurdle. £30-£50 per night are quite normal these days !
Keep buying lotto tickets maybe ?

Thanks to all for all your many 10pence worths, very much appreciated. I am closer than I was to buying one I have to say. I was booked in to have a look at the T5 LWB 4WD shown earlier but I think I need to get myself more of a deposit saved and potentially try for a newer base vehicle with a little less mileage. I will update next week - have a great weekend all and thanks for making me feel welcome.

I shall now try to spruce up the mondeo to make it more sellable. You an't polish a tur d but you can roll it in glitter

Back