How.... how do you afford a van?

Get out in it. Best steel roofed tent out there and you’ve got it. As above take what you need not what you think you need, oh and if you forget owt dose it really matter….
I’ve settle myself on only having mine insulated and carpeted this summer, went away in it earlier last month and it wasn’t any different than before it was carpeted etc. get out and enjoy

Congratulations fellow noob! You've done the right thing!

I followed a lot of advice from this thread and ignored the cynical stuff and I have to say i have no regrets. My finances are screwed. It's cost me an additional fortune this past month and a half of owning it but there's no substitute. I feel very privelaged. My wife has concluded I am not a masochist... the void left by desperately wanting a dub bus has closed. I desperately want to get away in it asap. But it's an empty shell with nothing done to it. My new and more productive fixation hehe
I'm glad you've got one. Have you got a pic of yours? I've tried searching, can't seem to find it

I wanted a van for 10/15 years but never had the finances to buy one. Luckily this year, I ended my self employment and went employed, so could free up some funds with the sale of my work van.

I bought a 2016 T6 Highline and won't ever sell it unless I upgrade to newer
Similar to me, going employed after 15 years SE, means less money but more time and can use my old work van for more camping but can still be used for any smaller jobs or if I need it as a van for loading space.

Always wanted a VW camper but never did more than talk idly about it.

Then daughter number 3 (I give them numbers rather than names, it's easier to keep track) and her feller bought an old but tidy T5 and that spurred me on to pull my finger out.

I drew list of requirements, no more than 3 years, less than 10k miles, professionally converted from NCC and type approval accredited converter, etc.

That didn't leave a huge choice and I had to accept it was going to cost me 50 large or more, but with what I'd get fron selling my Mini and a chunk of my own cash I could afford it without having to get a loan or finance...just. I'll be subsisting on Pot Noodles for a while until my finances recover.

In the end it came down to two - a Startline (with business pack) and a top spec conversion, or a Highline with a slightly lower spec conversion. I decided the Spec of the Startline suited me nicely, and I put my cash down on the two year old 3000 miler "Swamper Sport" model and collect it on Friday.

Last edited:
For me my car was on its last legs with many things all going wrong. I had also started a Ltd business and spend alot of my time looking at the most tax efficient methods to live and run a business. So for me buying a T6 through the business and paying adding the Benefit in kind to my personal tax return was the most cost effective way for me to not only get a new vehicle but also move the bills over to the business.

Would I have bought one with my own cash, probably not as I don't have it or I would have just bought a much older transporter

Always wanted a VW camper but never did more than talk idly about it.

Then daughter number 3 (I give them numbers rather than names, it's easier to keep track) and her feller bought an old but tidy T5 and that spurred me on to pull my finger out.

I drew list of requirements, no more than 3 years, less than 10k miles, professionally converted from NCC and type approval accredited converter, etc.

That didn't leave a huge choice and I had to accept it was going to cost me 50 large or more, but with what I'd get fron selling my Mini and a chunk of my own cash I could afford it without having to get a loan or finance...just. I'll be subsisting on Pot Noodles for a while until my finances recover.

In the end it came down to two - a Startline (with business pack) and a top spec conversion, or a Highline with a slightly lower spec conversion. I decided the Spec of the Startline suited me nicely, and I put my cash down on the two year old 3000 miler "Swamper Sport" model and collect it on Friday.
Looking forward to seeing this

How can a pension lump sum disappear? You can question it. You’ve earnt it so can’t be taken away. Lots of info on the internet about these things.
Sorry my friend it didn’t disappear in the terms of it vanished or was taken from me. It disappeared in the terms of I spent it on the van as it was sitting in the bank doing nothing.

Back