How much difference between 17 and 18" wheels.

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I am thinking of some new wheels. Tired of waiting for some banded Amaroks coming up for sale. (Nearish to me).
So my thoughts are now do I go to 17 or 18" wheels, one of the main reasons being the state of the roads.
This has me wondering how much difference there is between the 2 in regards of comfort and fuel usage, all other factors being the same, is same style wheel and tyre.

For example choosing between 17 and 18" OZ Rally Raids.
If I am being honest I think the 18s look a little better, but would I notice much difference dropping from 19 to 18". Would there be a a much more noticeable change if I went 19 to 17".

I don't seem to remember too much difference in ride quality when I went from a 16" Clayton to my Canteras. However this could have been the fact the the OEM Claytons had 109 rated tyres on.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I ran 18" on mt T5.1 Caravelle (standard size if I remember correctly) and on standard suspension and never had any complaints.

The type of tyre is a major factor. Doing it properly dropping a wheel size your tyre wall height will increase and width will decrease. Also changing from 18" summer tyres to 17" BFG you'll certainly notice the difference. Acceleration, traction/planted on the road 18" will be better but 17" for bouncing up and down kerbs, pot holes /muddy fields/snow etc will be better. There is positives and negatives

You will get more sidewall flex with the smaller wheel and bigger sidewall m. So going from a 19 to a 17 it will feel a little less accurate (if that makes sense) when driving it. Uprated anti roll bars are a good help when doing this. Obviously with the extra sidewall you will get extra comfort.

You will get better fuel economy and less road noise with a smaller/lighter wheel- tyre dependant of course.

You will get more sidewall flex with the smaller wheel and bigger sidewall m. So going from a 19 to a 17 it will feel a little less accurate (if that makes sense) when driving it. Uprated anti roll bars are a good help when doing this. Obviously with the extra sidewall you will get extra comfort.

You will get better fuel economy and less road noise with a smaller/lighter wheel- tyre dependant of course.
Thanks. Tyre wise I will go for something like the Michelin cross climate or similar. Basically an all season tyre not an ‘off road’ style tyre.
I appreciate the theory about the differences, but wonder how much real world difference between 17 and 18. Going from 16 to 20 I can imagine it being very noticeable. Although as I said I can’t remember much difference between 16 and 19, although very different tyres.

Thanks again.

I'm on 17 inch wheels with 235/65 semi AT tyres. I also have H&R anti-roll bars which, as mentioned above, are a great help. While I cannot offer a direct comparison, I've been quite surprised at how well the 17's handle.
We have two other vehicles in our household which are a Kia Rio on 205/45/17 and an Isuzu D max on 245/70/16 tyres. Relatively nimble vs borderline ditch magnet.
Considering the weight and C of G of the van, it's way closer to the little Kia then I thought it would be.

Reactions: CJW
I run 18 inch Amarok steels and they’re good enough for me , I run michelin x climates which again are pretty decent. The roads are a joke around my area too. Mine are not banded and are on standard suspension.

Back