Led Strip Lights Wiring Puzzle.

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have been having problems with the wiring of my interior LED strip lights. Getting so frustrated as it's completely puzzled me.

This is the fuse box that the 2 LED control units are powered from (under drivers seat on side of leisure battery).

Circuit 1 is connected to the 2A fuse (bottom right) - this is connected to some LED strip in the tailgate.
Circuit 2 the one thats causing problems is next to it with no fuse and red light - this is the ceiling LEDs

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 16.35.06.png

Both of these are connected to an SR-1009FA LED controller.

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 16.39.52.png

Circuit 1 works fine.

However if I put a fuse in circuit 2 I get a high pitched buzzing sound that seems to be coming from somewhere under the drivers seat.
I have swapped the positive on the fuse box to another place. Still same buzzing sound.
I have swapped the negative - still buzzing.
I have run a second set of wires from the fuse box to the LED controller, still buzzing.
I have swapped the SR-1009 controllers around. Still buzzing on circuit 2.

I have measured the current in circuit 2 with the lights off, as I seem to be flattening the leisure battery with the fuse in and lights off.

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 16.51.18.png

Any suggestions please as at the moment I feel like throwing it all in the bin, or maybe setting fire to the whole thing.

what is under the drivers seat that could buzz?

Weird, does the buzzing stop if you apply another load with the second controller connected?

Wondering if it's a dodgy plate in the battery?

Weird, does the buzzing stop if you apply another load with the second controller connected?

No, the brown wire is connected to me ceiling LEDs and switching them on/off makes no difference to the buzzing. (and that reminds me of the parasitic glow these suffer from :()

Plus, if I disconnect the circuit 1 fuse the buzzing sound is still there

Those controllers will always draw current while the lights are off as they are RF receivers. I'd take off your drivers seat and identify exactly what is buzzing.

Those controllers will always draw current while the lights are off as they are RF receivers. I'd take off your drivers seat and identify exactly what is buzzing.

Thanks, I will have another go tomorrow, although I've tried before. As for the parasitic glow I meant the 6 round LEDs I was trying to use as courtesy lights as well as switched to use as interior lights.

I can't work out what you are doing with the wiring at the led controller - they appear to be connected haphazardly to me.

led.jpg

So that supply is a common positive rail,

With a switched negative for each LED colour..

Red.green.blue.white.

Are you using RGBW LED strips?

Or just white disc leds?

The LED output wires dont look right?

Doesnt the very top section of the diagram indicate that pos feed goes on 1, or is your black pos?
The green does look one too high...

Last edited by a moderator:
So that supply is a common positive rail,

With a switched negative for each LED colour..

Red.green.blue.white.

Are you using RGBW LED strips?

Or just white disc leds?

The LED output wires dont look right?

Input is red from +ve of Leisure, black negative.

I'm using RGBWW strips.

The LED disc I shouldnt have mentioned not on these circuits at all.

What looks wrong about the LED output wires?

Doesnt the very top section of the diagram indicate that pos feed goes on 1, or is your black pos?
The green does look one too high...
Are you talking about the input or outputs to the LED?

https://www.sunricher.com/media/resources/manual/sr-1009-user-manual.pdf

The green is connected to CWG - , its just the photo and the way I've bent the lead to clear the cap so it doesnt get trapped.

Just been out to check. When I disconnect the black LED wire the buzzing goes away.
C094B261-F721-4B8F-9D8C-106F567A01D2.jpeg

If the red wire is positive it is in the wrong terminal.
If the black is positive that is correct. But has it been connected correctly the other end? You have a red at the fuse!
This is where having more wire colours helps, keeping red for positive ( and/ or black to keep in with German wiring)

The red and black on the right are wrong?.... as above.

Isn't the red +ve and black -ve

White in 8.

Green in 5.

Blue in 3

Red in 1

Black in any -ve

Back